PDA

View Full Version : Biking

ashleigh22
01-07-2011, 22:42
I wasn't sure where to post this, but thought some of you in the snow might find this useful:

www.treehugger.com/files/2010/12/macgyver-diy-approach-to-winter-biking-zip-ties-photos.php

May help with winter training! :)

leaftye
01-07-2011, 22:47
I like that.

garlic08
01-08-2011, 11:37
That's awesome! Not applicable any more, but I used to commute by bike all year in Denver. I could have used that idea back then.

mudhead
01-08-2011, 13:04
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=studded+bike+tires&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

I have seen these being used, but never tried them.

Those ties are cheap at Home Depot, 100 pack, also 1000 pack for dirt cheap.

Tinker
01-08-2011, 15:20
Similar to what I used to do with XC skis in the backcountry. I'd carry plastic bicycle toe straps and when the going got too steep (mostly up) I'd strap them under the ball of my foot around the skis and bindings (not the boot). Instant snow tires.

I doubt that the zip ties would work very well on glare ice, though - probably worse than the bare tires in that case.
Some of my co-workers at the bike shop where I used to work drilled out regular tires and used small bolts and nuts through the tires with a Mr.Tuffy liner. It worked ok, but there are a few tire manufacturers (IRC is the only one I've seen) that have actual carbono steel studded tires for sale.

Tinker
01-08-2011, 15:40
Here's a sample of what's available today in studded bicycle tires:
http://shopping.yahoo.com/search?p=studded%20bicycle%20tires

mweinstone
01-08-2011, 16:34
bad bike is a designation. its also the name of every bike ive built. like air force one.lol. tires combined with pressure levels determine handeling. adapting with zip ties can never out perform the unabridged version of the best designs. it can however greatly improve the function of otherwise lesser designs. this is bad bike. built on a bianchi diss frame with a tompson seat post and a cusom mavic rear with a stock spot front and avid discs with mutano rature tires and an upgraded 44 tooth front momma, this baby dont know anything about condishons. snow sleet and freezing rain. hail, pack ice and vertical frozen waterfalls. bad bike sprinkels zip ties on his cheerios for crunch. he dont need no stinkin trainning treds.

mweinstone
01-08-2011, 16:40
bad bike does not tolorate other bikes.he is an elitist.

mweinstone
01-08-2011, 16:51
ive never thaught of zip ties. but we used to cut our chains in three and wire them on the rear of our spidey bikes. they lasted till you went over bare street and skidded. then you were done and walked home from way out on east river drive to the city where it was plowed and let you ride again. if we had had zip ties they would have worked. we could have escaped the city young. but alas. the mission continues. may zip tied tires one day free my people dear lord. amen.