PDA

View Full Version : Northville-Placid Trail

Phreak
01-07-2011, 23:40
Anyone know where I can find an elevation profile for this trail? I've searched everywhere and have had no luck locating one.

thanks.

Snowleopard
01-07-2011, 23:50
This site has some.
http://www.cnyhiking.com/NPT-UpperBenson.htm
The part I did was pretty flat.
A good place to ask questions about the NPT or Adirondacks is:
http://www.adkforum.com/
It's probably a bit chilly there now.
--Walter

Sarcasm the elf
01-07-2011, 23:53
I just learned of this trail's existence a couple of weeks ago, thinking of hiking it this summer.
There's a guidebook to the trail, I haven't bought it yet so I can't say what info it contains. Also read somewhere that they might release an updated copy of the book soon, there have been some trail re-routes since this edition was published.

http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Adirondack-Trails-Northville-Preserve/dp/1931951195/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294458520&sr=8-1

takethisbread
01-07-2011, 23:53
I'd love to hike this trail.

Phreak
01-08-2011, 00:07
I just learned of this trail's existence a couple of weeks ago, thinking of hiking it this summer.
There's a guidebook to the trail, I haven't bought it yet so I can't say what info it contains. Also read somewhere that they might release an updated copy of the book soon, there have been some trail re-routes since this edition was published.

http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Adirondack-Trails-Northville-Preserve/dp/1931951195/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294458520&sr=8-1
I received the guide book today but it doesn't list any elevation in it.

Toolshed
01-08-2011, 02:00
This used to be one of my favorite trails, having done it a few times.

I've attached an NLP planning worksheet that I put together about 12 or so years ago with all the mileage points and elevations at those points. It's great for planning.... I used to be pretty active on ADKforums, ADKhighpeaksforums and VFTT and have shared it with a few members over there, so you might see it floating around if you google it in their forums.

Roland
01-08-2011, 05:02
I've attached an NLP planning worksheet that I put together about 12 or so years ago with all the mileage points and elevations at those points.

Am I missing something? I don't see the attachment.

russb
01-08-2011, 06:24
Here is an elevation profile.

russb
01-08-2011, 06:26
I already hiked the trail northbound. I am planning a southbound trip this summer. I will get to avoid the 8 mile roadwalk this time due to the newly constructed trail section between stephens pond and wakely dam.

russb
01-08-2011, 06:31

here is the supplement to the reroute:

http://adk.org/trails/documents/GNPsupplement2010web.pdf

NPTFanatic
01-08-2011, 10:05
Hello, NPT Enthusiasts. I'm the webmaster for a new website devoted to the Northville Placid Trail - www.nptrail.org (http://www.nptrail.org). Check it out. It has latest known trail conditions, hike planning help, community resources, a way to report trail conditions after your hike, and more.

The latest NPT Guide is published by the Adirondack Mt. Club and is noted as 4th edition. With the exception of the supplement that was noted due to the reroute of the Cedar River Rd. section into the woods, there are no plans currently to publish an update. There are two more road walks, one from Northville to Upper Benson - 10+ miles; and one from Rt. 8 in Piseco to Haskells Rd. trailhead - 3+ miles that need to be rerouted into the woods before any new editions probably will be published.

Hey, Toolshed, any possibility I could post the NPT elevation profile on the website? If so, please send me an email from the website with an attachment for the file.

If anyone has any questions about hiking the NPT please let me know. Also, we are in the process of forming an NPTrail Chapter of ADK to bring more focus to the NPT as well as to have an entity that can bring more resources to taking care of it as well. Check out the NPT Chapter page.

Happy Hiking - Tom "NPT Fanatic" - webmaster - www.nptrail.org (http://www.nptrail.org)

Raul Perez
01-08-2011, 10:10
Hey NPTFanatic,

I plan on thru hiking this trail in 2012 will the Northville to Upper Benson road walk be re-routed then?

Toolshed
01-08-2011, 10:42
Sorry - I had it posted last night but then went in to adjust and ended up with databae errors when I tried to reload it. It isn't a profile, but a planning spreadsheet with elevations at various points.

Toolshed
01-08-2011, 10:44
Hello, NPT Enthusiasts. I'm the webmaster for a new website devoted to the Northville Placid Trail - www.nptrail.org (http://www.nptrail.org). Check it out. It has latest known trail conditions, hike planning help, community resources, a way to report trail conditions after your hike, and more.

The latest NPT Guide is published by the Adirondack Mt. Club and is noted as 4th edition. With the exception of the supplement that was noted due to the reroute of the Cedar River Rd. section into the woods, there are no plans currently to publish an update. There are two more road walks, one from Northville to Upper Benson - 10+ miles; and one from Rt. 8 in Piseco to Haskells Rd. trailhead - 3+ miles that need to be rerouted into the woods before any new editions probably will be published.

Hey, Toolshed, any possibility I could post the NPT elevation profile on the website? If so, please send me an email from the website with an attachment for the file.

If anyone has any questions about hiking the NPT please let me know. Also, we are in the process of forming an NPTrail Chapter of ADK to bring more focus to the NPT as well as to have an entity that can bring more resources to taking care of it as well. Check out the NPT Chapter page.

Happy Hiking - Tom "NPT Fanatic" - webmaster - www.nptrail.org (http://www.nptrail.org)

Tom, I was on your site last night - very nice.
BTW, I was a LT adopter up that way in the 90's. Tim for me to go back there.....
I will email you the spreadsheet.

NPTFanatic
01-08-2011, 10:51
Chances are it won't be by then. The reroute was approved in the Shaker Mt. Wild Forest UMP, Unit Management Plan, but that is just its first step. The route is roughly located on a map but still needs to be flagged. The major obstacle is getting across West Stony Creek, a wide stream that floods often. A major bridge is required to cross it. I'm working with the NYS DEC, the Dept. of Environmental Conservation, and ADK, the Adirondack Mt. Club, to at least start the flagging process and bridge design. It may be flagged by 2012 so that you might be able to bushwhack it, but the actually tread won't be done until sometime in 2013 or 2014.

The 90th anniversary of the NPT completion in 1924 is in 2014. I'm hoping to have a celebration in Northville, NY, at that time and my goal is to have the reroute completed by then.

Deadeye
01-08-2011, 10:53
I received the guide book today but it doesn't list any elevation in it.

I think that's because elevation changes are not particularly tough on the NPT - it's really a valley trail. Climbs a few small mountains, but it's not littered with PUDs, SUDs, and MUDs like the AT. Great trail for fishing!

NPTFanatic
01-08-2011, 10:59
Hey, Deadeye, you wrote, "Great trail for fishing!". I want to put a section on the www.nptrail.org website about fishing along the NPT. Do you have experience and knowledge about that? Would you be willing to write an article about that I post on the website and share with others with fishing interest?

Raul Perez
01-08-2011, 12:29
Thanks NPT for your website and the info and thanks Phreak for starting this thread. I purchased the NPT trail guide and maps a few months ago and a friend and I started reviewing it recently. We plan on doing the trail northbound starting at the original point in Northville (aka 10 mile road walk) to Lake Placid. We plan on doing it for charity, I'm still researching which organization we will be doing it for. First we want to complete the remaining 53 miles of the NY AT section this year.

Raul

NPTFanatic
01-08-2011, 12:41
Thanks NPT for your website and the info and thanks Phreak for starting this thread. I purchased the NPT trail guide and maps a few months ago and a friend and I started reviewing it recently. We plan on doing the trail northbound starting at the original point in Northville (aka 10 mile road walk) to Lake Placid. We plan on doing it for charity, I'm still researching which organization we will be doing it for. First we want to complete the remaining 53 miles of the NY AT section this year.

Raul
Raul, the original trail in 1922 went from the trail depot in Northville to the trail depot in Lake Placid. The train depot in Northville is now a rental cottage and office building and the trail depot in Lake Placid houses an historical society.

The www.nptrail.org website should greatly help in your hike planning along with the ADK guide and the two National Geographic maps that cover the entire trail. Their is a form on the website by which you can ask us for more hike planning help if you need it.

Deadeye
01-09-2011, 10:11

Raul

Don't know that I could write an article about it... I've only hiked on a few portions, but the trail follows the Cold River and the shores of many lakes and ponds. It' s just a natural for making a slow journey with lots of side trips to backcountry ponds.

stranger
01-16-2011, 08:38
I thru-hiked this trail back in late August and it's still fresh in my memory if anyone has any logistical questions feel free to PM me, and I posted a TR on here under 'Northville Lake Placid Trail information' I believe with reliable, recent information.

I might stress that the re-route off the road after Wakely Dam was completely flooded out and the hardest 7 miles of the entire trail...by far. For anyone thinking this re-route is an upgrade, you are in for a surprise!

I would not worry about elevation on this trail, the trail is fairly flat and rolling for much of it's duration, in many places is insanely flat. The only climb of substance is between Lake Durant and Long Lake, and it's a non-issue.

The thing that needs to be considered most on this trail is the footing. The trail traverses a water system and you will cross flooded sections nearly every day in one way or another. Bridges may be out and you may need to ford some creeks (2-3 feet deep in places) depending on the time of year. Mud is widespead, even in late summer and you will need to prepare for wet feet every single day regardless of weather. Between Upper Benson and Lake Durant, you can expect to see dozens of mudholes each day.

I think this trail has a reputation for being a cake walk...and while the terrain is flat, the footing, mud and water is the equalizer. Saying that, it's a beautiful walk and well worth it.

russb
01-16-2011, 10:09
I think this trail has a reputation for being a cake walk...and while the terrain is flat, the footing, mud and water is the equalizer. Saying that, it's a beautiful walk and well worth it.

Well said.

btw, did you travel northbound or south?

Toolshed
01-16-2011, 13:18
Gotta love that bootsucking Adirondack mud. (and yes, I had it suck my boot off once).. I always plan on bring gaiters with me.
I was planning on taking my 10 year old son on the FLT for 100 miles this summer After thinking about this, and explaining the NLP to him and how much I enjoyed it back in the day, we are going to do a thru hike (Well UB to LP).
I'll be hitting your site up again soon, NPTFanatic.

canoehead
01-16-2011, 14:12
I'm going to get this one this year in Aug/Sept and fish it along the way.
I have paddled the NFCT section from Old Forge to Saranack / Floodwood area and it follows it some of the way. Great hike.

stranger
01-16-2011, 19:33
Well said.

btw, did you travel northbound or south?

I hiked the trail northbound, I resupplied in Piseco and Long Lake, but a unexpected hitch meant chilli dogs and coffee in Indian Lake Village as well!

pedxing
01-18-2011, 13:06
I was really surprised by russb's elevation profile. I remember the trail as being much flat and wet. I ended up hiking at least 10 miles of it in Crocs (though I had a heck of a fight getting one Croc back out of the mud). Massive tangles of blowdowns in some southern portions and fresh un marked re-routes around growing Beaver activity were the other challenges. Beautiful lake after lake and wildlife were some of the real treats.

NPTFanatic - I like that site a lot. If I ever hike it again (likely after the Northvile-Benson re-route is done), I will be spending some time there in preparation.

Toolshed
01-18-2011, 14:02
Hey PedXing - How are you doing. I think we met up at a VFTT Gathering (like 7.5 or something) one winter....:)

pedxing
01-18-2011, 14:13
Hey Toolshed - I've definitely been to some VFTT related events and hikes. What's your VFTT user name? - Looking at your spreadsheet - I'm wondering if you sent me a version of it back in '05 or '06 when I was planning my NP hike.

Toolshed
01-18-2011, 19:02
Hey Toolshed - I've definitely been to some VFTT related events and hikes. What's your VFTT user name? - Looking at your spreadsheet - I'm wondering if you sent me a version of it back in '05 or '06 when I was planning my NP hike.
Yes that was me with the NLP spreadsheet - Rick VFTT. Now that I think about it I beleive we met at a bar in Somerville after the BFF in '05 - I think I was sitting next to you and your wife (or girlfriend) I seem to think you just got out of the hospital, but cannot be sure....

pedxing
01-18-2011, 20:03
Yes. It was before or after Banff at Redbones. I'd spent a couple months in ICU and another in rehab in 2004.

russb
02-05-2011, 08:36

I missed this post from a while ago. Please feel free to use the elevation profile I posted on your website. It was made with the NG Topo! software.

NPTFanatic
02-06-2011, 09:31
Elevations are posted at:
http://www.nptrail.org/HikePlanning.html#NPT_Elevations

This is a website devoted to the Northville Placid Trail. You will find tons of info that will help you with a hike of the NPT. Tom "NPT Fanatic"

Anyone know where I can find an elevation profile for this trail? I've searched everywhere and have had no luck locating one.

thanks.

russb
02-06-2011, 09:45
Elevations are posted at:

This is a website devoted to the Northville Placid Trail. You will find tons of info that will help you with a hike of the NPT. Tom "NPT Fanatic"

Glad to see you made use of the elevation profile I posted.

-russb

Sarcasm the elf
05-04-2011, 23:17
Hi all, I have the last two weeks of May off of work and plan to go backpacking and am considering hiking the NPT northbound. Has anyone been out on the trail recently or know what the trail conditions are like?

I haven't been on the NPT before, so I am wondering whether this would be a wise choice given the recent rain and low lying terrain?

Toolshed
05-05-2011, 07:14
Hi all, I have the last two weeks of May off of work and plan to go backpacking and am considering hiking the NPT northbound. Has anyone been out on the trail recently or know what the trail conditions are like?

I haven't been on the NPT before, so I am wondering whether this would be a wise choice given the recent rain and low lying terrain?

I wold honestly tell you to go somewhere else - North central PA is great in May (Susquehannock, Black Forest & West Rim Trails). In the lower Adirondacks, You will find a lot , I mean really a lot of wet spots in May, you will likely be overwhelmed with blackflies and mosquitoes as it warms up. (granted there is a chance it might not get above 50 in May). I did it in June one year and my feet were absolutely soaking wet the entire time. I got used to the flies and mosquitoes, but I always enjoyed it more when I was out there in late summer early fall, when it was drier and most of the biting insects were done (except deerfly and occasional horsefly).

Snowleopard
05-05-2011, 10:58
Sarcasm, there will be black flies and mud and water on the NPT. Later in the summer would be better. Go to :
http://www.nptrail.org/
Check out the forums at:
http://adkhighpeaks.com/

It's a little wet in the Adirondacks (and Vermont) now and that wetness will translate into more black flies and mosquitos.
http://adirondackdailyenterprise.com/photos/news/lg/524213_2.jpg

stranger
05-05-2011, 19:33
I wold honestly tell you to go somewhere else - North central PA is great in May (Susquehannock, Black Forest & West Rim Trails). In the lower Adirondacks, You will find a lot , I mean really a lot of wet spots in May, you will likely be overwhelmed with blackflies and mosquitoes as it warms up. (granted there is a chance it might not get above 50 in May). I did it in June one year and my feet were absolutely soaking wet the entire time. I got used to the flies and mosquitoes, but I always enjoyed it more when I was out there in late summer early fall, when it was drier and most of the biting insects were done (except deerfly and occasional horsefly).

Without question the Susquehannock Trail System is one of the finest hikes I've ever done, and as Tooshed said, it it's not long enough just combine it with the Black Forest Trail for a 126 mile figure 8 loop.

When I hiked the Susquehannock Trail i saw two other people across 6 days, and 3 bear...pretty good when bears outnumber people.

stranger
05-05-2011, 19:34

It was wet and soggy in late August, does that answer your question?

Sarcasm the elf
05-06-2011, 23:24

Thanks for all the feedback. After reading the comments here as well as on the ADK forum, we've decided to do the NY/NJ section of the A.T. and leave the NPT for next year in the fall.

Cookerhiker
09-11-2013, 06:55
Planning to hike the Northville-Placid Trail starting late September. Anyone hiked it in the last 2 years? Updates on trail conditions? Resupply thoughts? What about shuttles? I've also gotten some good info. via FB and the ADK website.

stranger
09-11-2013, 08:12
I made a thru-hikers guide with a data book and re supply, town information...want a copy?

Dogwood
09-11-2013, 14:38
Planning to hike the Northville-Placid Trail starting late September. Anyone hiked it in the last 2 years? Updates on trail conditions? Resupply thoughts? What about shuttles? I've also gotten some good info. via FB and the ADK website.

You might run into me. I'm going to thru it and fish along the way in very late Sept/early Oct.

Dogwood
09-11-2013, 14:43
I hiked the trail northbound, I resupplied in Piseco and Long Lake, but a unexpected hitch meant chilli dogs and coffee in Indian Lake Village as well!

I just ordered the NPT book so haven't read through it. Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, Stranger, or anyone else can you elaborate on those resupply pts and maps needed(Nat Geo TI maps, etc?)

Cookerhiker
09-11-2013, 15:19
I made a thru-hikers guide with a data book and re supply, town information...want a copy?

Stranger, is it in electronic format? If so, I'll take a copy. I have your e-mail address and I'll send you a note. I've made up a spreadsheet (which I'm in the midst of revising) based on what I've gleaned from this and other WB threads along with the very helpful NPT FB page.

I just ordered the NPT book so haven't read through it. Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, Stranger, or anyone else can you elaborate on those resupply pts and maps needed(Nat Geo TI maps, etc?)

What I've learned from the FB page is that there are enough relocations post-guidebook that it's better to get the National Geographic TI map, number 244 (http://Stranger, is it in electronic format? If so, I'll take a copy. I have your e-mail address and I'll send you a note. I've made up a spreadsheet (which I'm in the midst of revising) based on what I've gleaned from this and other WB threads along with the very helpful NPT FB page.) for the southern half of the NPT. This website (http://www.nptrail.org/HikePlanning.html#FoodDrops) administered by the ADK is relatively current and contains a wealth of info.

Cookerhiker
09-11-2013, 16:04
Stranger wrote up a thorough synopsis of his experience on a previous thread in Sept. 2010. I've pasted it here:

"Just hiked this trail and thought I would post some information that I found along the way that's not in the guidebook.

First off, the trail is basically traversing a water system. It winds past beaver ponds, lakes, ponds, creeks, rivers and streams...which means, it's always wet and muddy. It's quite common for bridges to wash out each spring and on our hike we had a few fords, one was only shin deep but about 40 yards long, another was thigh deep and about 20 feet across.

People often say this trail is easy, I would completely disagree. The trail is relatively flat...that's correct, but the footing is crazy in places, especially your first 60 miles or so, the trail improves alot once you reach Lake Durant, until then expect dozens of large mudholes each day. We hiked just after the area got 5 inches of rain over 3 days, so perhaps we were a little unlucky. But I would prepare for wet feet everyday on this trail, regardless of rain.

Lean-to's are not always marked, so if you plan to use the shelters you need to be aware of their locations and look for them. Many times it's just a faint trail off the main trail with no markings, many of them are easy to miss. There are also many shelters right on the trail that you walk by.

We didn't use bear canisters, we used the PCT method and hung our food, in a few places this is tricky and took some time to find a good branch, we saw no bears. We got our water mostly from lakes and used Aqua Mira, there is only about 3 springs on the whole trail that we saw.

The 7 mile former roadwalk that started at Wakely Dam has been re-routed off the road and the re-route has been flooded by beaver activity, it's a long 9miles to Stephens Pond and very slow going, the last few miles into Lake Durant Campground is in much better condition.

In the guidebook they make 'the ridge' sound difficult, it's the only principle climb on the trail and is located between Lake Durant and Long Lake. Pay this information no mind, it's an easy 15 mile section, the climb is about 1000feet and gradual, with a final steep push towards the end. The descent is not all that bad. They make it sound like a tough section, that wasn't our experience at all.

Town Information (going northbound):

Upon reaching NY 8 in Piseco, there is Casey's Corner across the road and to the right. This place has limited hiker supplies, pizza, hot and cold food to go. They didn't stock denatured or HEET, I don't know about white gas.
---0.3 miles to the right, Oxbow Lake Motel $80, laundry facilities, baked goods and hot coffee in the morning, accepts maildrops, possible ride to avoid 3 mile roadwalk, restaurant and bar next to motel, open lunch and dinner, some days only dinner
---6-8 miles to the right, Stevensons Hardware with denatured alcohol

Just before reaching Route 28/30 you will walk through Lake Durant Campground $22, hot showers, swimming. If possible you might want to send a food drop here instead of Blue Mountain Lake Village, which has very little. Indian Lake Village is about 10-12 miles or so to the right and has much more than Blue Mountain Lake, including a Stewarts Convienance Store, restaurants, a couple motels, etc...

Upon reaching Route 28N, Long Lake NY is less than 2 miles to the left. As you come into Long Lake, you reach an intersection. Go straight ahead up the hill to reach the Corner Motel $65 or a little further to the Shamrock Motel $95. At the intersection is Stewarts with a good bread/bagel selection and HEET fuel, Hoss's store across the road with more hiker supplies, and a pizza place behind Hoss's in season only (and not the best pizza). Hoss's also has an ice-cream stand across from the store and a small campground.

If you were to turn right at the intersection, you will pass a good diner, then public library with 3 internet terminals, then the hardware store which doesn't sell HEET and only gallons of denatured when I was there, then follow the road to the left to the pretty decent grocery store, long term resupply, deli, foot care products, etc...Grocery store is only about 0.4 from the intersection.

Finally, upon reaching Averyville Road near Lake Placid, you can obviously hitch, or call one of two taxi's in town (google them), we got a cab into town for $6 and only had to wait 15 mins. In Lake Placid, the Art Devlin Olympic Motor Inn has a variety of rooms, standard rooms $68, rooms with view $78, and the full blown hot tub rooms are $108 (best money I ever spent), these rates for were early September. Not far from the Inn is a decent diner, another Stewarts, a good pizza joint, basic outfitters, bar and bowling alley. Amtrak has bus connection to Westport NY, the bus leaves Lake Placid at 12 noon, not sure if it's daily or not, check with Amtrak.

Anyhow...hope this helps anyone looking to do this trail."

Another Kevin
09-11-2013, 17:29
What I've learned from the FB page is that there are enough relocations post-guidebook that it's better to get the National Geographic TI map, number 244 (http://Stranger,%20is%20it%20in%20electronic%20format?%20 If%20so,%20I%27ll%20take%20a%20copy.%20I%20have%20 your%20e-mail%20address%20and%20I%27ll%20send%20you%20a%20n ote.%20I%27ve%20made%20up%20a%20spreadsheet%20%28w hich%20I%27m%20in%20the%20midst%20of%20revising%29 %20based%20on%20what%20I%27ve%20gleaned%20from%20t his%20and%20other%20WB%20threads%20along%20with%20 the%20very%20helpful%20NPT%20FB%20page.) for the southern half of the NPT. This website (http://www.nptrail.org/HikePlanning.html#FoodDrops) administered by the ADK is relatively current and contains a wealth of info.

Does anyone know how current NYS DEC Roads and Trails (http://gis.ny.gov/gisdata/inventories/details.cfm?DSID=1167) is with the NPT relocations? I've been using that for a lot of my electronic trail maps, although I haven't really got a good start on the 'Daks. It has a few unaccountable gaps (that I think I can fill in from the GPX file on nptrail.org) but it has the beaver pond relocations between West Lake and Mud Lake, above Tirrell Pond. and near Round Pond, and the big reroute off of Cedar River Road near Wakely Dam. Are there other significant relocations that are missing from both files?

Dogwood
09-11-2013, 17:29

Would love a copy. You seem much more up to date than me. If it was available electronically I'll just print it out myself. Pm or Email me. Would be much appreciated.

THX CookerHiker for reposting Stranger's bit. Good to see others using the supposedly for crap WB Search feature.

Dogwood
09-11-2013, 17:46
"Lean-to's are not always marked, so if you plan to use the shelters you need to be aware of their locations and look for them. Many times it's just a faint trail off the main trail with no markings, many of them are easy to miss. There are also many shelters right on the trail that you walk by."

As I work out the logistics of my thru I can't find anyplace where all the NPT lean-tos are listed or their corresponding trail mileages.

Can someone suggest where I can look?

Cookerhiker
09-11-2013, 18:01
"Lean-to's are not always marked, so if you plan to use the shelters you need to be aware of their locations and look for them. Many times it's just a faint trail off the main trail with no markings, many of them are easy to miss. There are also many shelters right on the trail that you walk by."

As I work out the logistics of my thru I can't find anyplace where all the NPT lean-tos are listed or their corresponding trail mileages.

Can someone suggest where I can look?

You mentioned above that you had recently ordered the NPT guidebook. In addition to the sectional writeups, there's an appendix in the back listing all the leantos.

Or you can look at my new spreadsheet depicting my leisurely schedule. Since I created it in QuattroPro, I had to convert all the formulae when I saved it as an Excel file. I think it will be readable except for the "Night" column.

Dogwood
09-11-2013, 18:13
THX Cookie. Nice info on the spreadsheet.

Dogwood
09-11-2013, 18:20
You're resupplying at the Piesco PO and Long Valley PO(?)?

Cookerhiker
09-11-2013, 18:43
You're resupplying at the Piesco PO and Long Valley PO(?)?

Planning to send mail drops to motels in both locations so that I don't have to deal with PO hours. I'm going to call them first and may physically drop the supply boxes by before the hike because I think I'll have sufficient time. I got some good and recent leads on motels from the discussion on the FB page.

royalusa
09-11-2013, 19:57
We hiked the NPT in July 2011 and really lucked out with unusually dry trails per NPT norms. From our journal entries, it looks like we used the NPTrail.org site, one of the best hiking info sites we have ever seen, and NatGeo maps 742 and 744. Basically we created a databook from all the data on the NPTrail.org site.

We still have the NatGeo maps 742 and 744 and are willing to sell them if you are interested. If so, send us a PM or email.

In regards to finding shelters – somehow we missed the turnoff for the Carry Shelter. Not sure how that happened! They are not all marked quite as well as the AT shelters.

We did not do a resupply as we did the trail in 8 days, including a side-trip to Mt. Marcy....and just figured we would carry all the food with us and skip the resupply process.

For more info, check out our journal: http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=355436 or video: http://www.youtube.com/user/royalusa/videos

Our journal summary entry reflects these thoughts:
“It seems like it takes us a good day or two to become accustomed to trail conditions. Each trail is so different and this one was no exception. Once our expectations or perceptions were in line with reality, we really began to settle in for the hike.
It also seems like we hit the trail at the perfect time, as the amount of mud and bogs that we experienced were extremely little. No knee deep mud for us. No miles of submerged bog planks. Only ankle deep mud with the consistency of play doh …. only a couple submerged planks …we’ll take it!

The trail reminded us of several sections of the AT:
· MASS-BUG-MUD-CHUSETTS, as we called MA on our thru-hike
· Maine with the boreal forests (though NPT’s forests were not boreal, they were similar)

If you’re looking for a beaten path, no mud, no blow downs, and no overgrowth then this trail is not for you. This trail needs a lot of maintenance as shown by the 5 page trail condition report on NPTrail.org.

If you don’t mind some rugged trail conditions and are looking for a trail where you can gel at lakes or ponds or creeks, then this trail is for you.
We had a lot of solitude on this hike; something we treasure. We were also pleasantly surprised by the lack of trash on the trail! The amount of trash was extremely little! A very clean trail. (Though some of the shelters had a considerable amount of discarded gear.)

In summary, I think this trail is best done slow, perhaps a 10 day pace. I’d recommend carrying a collapsible plastic paddle and enjoying time at the many lakes, ponds and streams and perhaps even partaking a canoe ride. I’d also recommend a side trip into the wilderness if time permits to summit a peak that is above tree line, such as Mt. Marcy.” Mt. Marcy is NY’s highest peak.

Dogwood
09-11-2013, 20:31
How did you organize the Mt Marcy side hike? That's exactly what I want to do on this trail - throw in some above treeline miles. Does the NPT link up with a side trail to Mt M?

NPTFanatic
09-11-2013, 20:34

thanks.

The NPTrail elevation profile is at:

The only difference is where the reroute off of Cedar River Rd is as the profile predates the reroute but the elevations there are about the same. Tom W. The NPtrail Fanatic -

Dogwood
09-11-2013, 20:38
So, after glancing over your trail journal royalusa, the shelters are designated on the NG TI 742 and 744 maps

NPTFanatic
09-11-2013, 20:50
So, after glancing over your trail journal royalusa, the shelters are designated on the NG TI 742 and 744 maps

All the lean-tos on the NPTrail are designated on the 742 and 744 maps. Also, there is a cumulative mileage chart that shows the mileage figures for all the lean-tos so you can figure the distance between them for planning purposes. http://www.nptrail.org/HikePlanning.html#Cumulative_Mileage_Information

Dogwood
09-11-2013, 20:53
Royalusa, that was a funny story of you mistakenly heading up Mt Gray instead of Mt Marcy.

Dogwood
09-11-2013, 20:56
THX NPT fanatic. I somehow missed that link. Duh.

stranger
09-12-2013, 04:15
I have it in electronic form...how do I upload here? Alternatively Dogwood, email me at [email protected] and I will send it to you.

stranger
09-12-2013, 04:16
Quickly, going from Upper Benson, I would:
- resupply by sending a drop to Oxbox Lake Motel, if not overnighting there you can eat next door at the pub
- resupply in Long Lake
then out

russb
09-12-2013, 05:46

I just did the trail again this past July. I don't have much to add from what others have said (and on FB). If you have any questions about some specifics, feel free to PM me.

Cookerhiker
09-12-2013, 06:39
I have it in electronic form...how do I upload here? Alternatively Dogwood, email me at [email protected] and I will send it to you.

Use WB's "Go Advanced" option which allows you to attach files - that's what I did with the spreadsheet in Post #49.

royalusa
09-12-2013, 08:37
How did you organize the Mt Marcy side hike? That's exactly what I want to do on this trail - throw in some above treeline miles. Does the NPT link up with a side trail to Mt M?

Yes, there are 'side trails' from the NPT to Mt. Marcy. I think it was a 30-mile round trip side trip, but well worth it. I'm not up to speed on all the regulations anymore for this area, but I believe there are some areas off the NPT that require permits and/or bear vaults for food. You'll want to check that out more if you are going to be off the NPT.

stranger
09-12-2013, 08:59
OK tried to upload here...

Cookerhiker
09-12-2013, 11:55
.... I'm not up to speed on all the regulations anymore for this area, but I believe there are some areas off the NPT that require permits and/or bear vaults for food. You'll want to check that out more if you are going to be off the NPT.

I take it that your phrase "bear vault" means any bear canister. Ironically, it was in the Adirondacks where a bear figured out how to open a Bear Vault canister. I understand that the company worked on a redesign and perhaps it's available now. Meanwhile, the bear lost her life about a year ago.

Dogwood
09-12-2013, 12:12
Yes, there are 'side trails' from the NPT to Mt. Marcy. I think it was a 30-mile round trip side trip, but well worth it. I'm not up to speed on all the regulations anymore for this area, but I believe there are some areas off the NPT that require permits and/or bear vaults for food. You'll want to check that out more if you are going to be off the NPT.

After further reviewing your trail journal I see you took trail #121. That and the added RT trail mileage is all I need. I'll do it as a one day out and back 30 mile side trip not requiring a canister if I don't stay in that bear canister required area. I'm getting both the NG TI 742 and 744 maps. as well as the entire NG TI Adirondacks map set to "see what else I can see" when I'm in the area.

Mahalo to everyone for the beta. I got really all I need from you fine folks. Mahalo.

Another Kevin
09-12-2013, 13:10

While you're waiting for your NatGeo maps, if you have Google Earth, take a peek at http://www.dec.ny.gov/maps/hikingtrailslink.kmz. (Or, it's not that hard to install Google Earth.) While there are some inexplicable gaps, most of the official Adirondack Park trails are on it. You can see several possible routes from the area near where Duck Hole used to be to Marcy. I recommend Avalanche Pass if you have the time to do it (it's not the shortest route). The scenery there is absolutely breathtaking.

Dogwood
09-12-2013, 13:19
That's what I want to here AK, side routes and miles to add on that are scenically worth it. A 130 m hike is a very short hike to me. I'll be heading back to HI after this thru so want my latest east coast thru-hike memories to be .... memorable. THX for the Google Earth reference. Good way to jump start my pre hike prep.

Dogwood
09-22-2013, 22:27
I haven't looked at the maps yet. Can anyone tell me if the side trip/trail to Mt Marcy commecst with or Trailheads near the NLPT?

Dogwood
09-22-2013, 22:30
Couldm't open it AK.

Another Kevin
09-23-2013, 00:13
Hmm, I tried the link again. It works for me. Did you open it in Google Earth?

The most popular connection from the NPT to Marcy is to turn east at Duck Hole (now dewatered since Hurricane Irene), take the old fire road to Preston Ponds, the Calamity Brook trail to Lake Colden, and the Opalescent River trail up to Lake Tear of the Clouds and Four Corners, approaching Marcy from the south.

But the most breathaking scenery is Avalanche Pass. If you have the time and are up for the miles, come down Marcy on the Van Hoevenberg trail as far as Marcy Dam, and return to Lake Colden through Avalanche Pass.

Dogwood
09-23-2013, 03:50
THX AK. Your idea sounds good. I may see if I have the time to add even more miles so I'm going to look into what you're saying. What do you know about the Range Trail between MT M and Upper Wolfjaw? I read some opinions that it's considered one of the toughest, most rugged, and most scenic trails in NY but also with great scenery? It traverses eight of the high peaks all exceeding 4,ooo ft. Makes me want to do it. Sounds like my kind of hiking. I figure I'm in the area so I want to get in as much as possible. The NLPT seems like relatively easy lower elevation. I want to add in my variety.

Schnitzel
09-23-2013, 09:08
Just an FYI - if you do go into the Eastern High Peaks region (where Marcy is), you will be required to use a bear can - the rangers check - and they will not allow you to use a Bear Vault, because while Yellow-Yellow (the genius bear) was killed by a hunter last year, apparently she taught her cubs how to open the Bear Vaults - the only cans that the rangers recommend are the black plastic Garcia types. I learned this a couple of months ago, AFTER I bought a nice, light Bear Vault that has now become my dog's favorite chew toy.

Another Kevin
09-23-2013, 10:23
Just an FYI - if you do go into the Eastern High Peaks region (where Marcy is), you will be required to use a bear can - the rangers check - and they will not allow you to use a Bear Vault, because while Yellow-Yellow (the genius bear) was killed by a hunter last year, apparently she taught her cubs how to open the Bear Vaults - the only cans that the rangers recommend are the black plastic Garcia types. I learned this a couple of months ago, AFTER I bought a nice, light Bear Vault that has now become my dog's favorite chew toy.

Do you have a news story or something? I know that the rangers are still enforcing the rule as if Yellow-Yellow were still alive, but I haven't heard of any BearVault incidents since she was shot. (And yes, she could indeed open a BearVault.) I know that she did pass on the trick of sending a cub up a tree to gnaw through a rope, so even a PCT bag hang is not entirely safe. Unfortunately, you do need a bear can up there.

Dogwood
09-23-2013, 11:53
From what I understand Mellow Yellow learned to open the old single locking tab version of the Bear Vault. Bear Vault changed it's design to now include two locking tabs one on each side of the can that have to be unlocked simultaneously while unscrewing the lid. As far as everyone can tell there have been no reports of any bear being able to unlock the two tab version. The newer two tab version is what I have. Heck, it takes me a bit of being a contortionist to unlock the version I have. If a bear can unlock the two tab version of the Bear Vault you might say that bear is smarter than the averrage bear, hey Boo Boo.

Dogwood
09-23-2013, 11:55
THX everyone for all the beta. It was very helpful.

I'm looking forward to some Fall color and crisp days and nights. I've been in the Atlanta area long enough. Although, after many months the high humidity has finally broken here.

Cookerhiker
10-07-2013, 14:35
Started my NOBO hike on the Northville-Placid Trail on Friday Sept. 27 and ended the hike on Thursday, Oct. 3 at Durant Campground near Blue Mountain Lake after 70 miles. Due to my ill-fitting shoes (really my fault for sticking with them), my feet were torn to shreds, hence my ending the hike short of a thruhike.

Link to the trail journal. (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=436323)

A few overall observations:

1. My timeframe was perfect vis-a-vis the changing colors. On Day 1, the forest floor already sported small red leaves from maple trees while much of the rest of the trees were still green or just starting to change. 5 days later, the forest was transformed into orange and yellow with splashes of red. Now this meant that in a few places, the pathway wasn't discernible because of the freshly-fallen leaves but the blazing was sufficient to pick up the trail; I only lost it once for about 10 minutes.

2. The trail is mostly ups and downs but they're all gradual and/or short. The few steep sections were very short. As you'd expect for a trail at this latitude in the Northeast, there's a fair amount of rocks, roots, and muck to maneuver through, but there's also nice stretches of easy walking on old tote paths or treadway on firm ground. Now the freshly-fallen leaves hid some small rocks so if you blithely stride like you're on a paved city park, you might stumble big time.

3. In the southernmost 70 miles, there are no distant views of mountains, valleys, etc - not surprising since you're hiking between the mountains rather than over them. But you encounter many lakes and ponds which break up the landscape and provide a nice open setting. In fact, those bodies of water are what makes the trail so interesting. To me, the NPT gives you many (not all) of the benefits of hiking the AT in Maine without the pain of schlepping up 2-3,000' of elevation.

4. This time of year, all water crossings were either crossed on bridges or rockhops i.e. no fords in the first 70 miles. I suspect that for a spring hike, many rockhops would be fords. But spring isn't a good time to hike because of mud season if you're too early and bugs - black flies, mosquitoes, noseeums - if you're too late.

5. Shelters are sprinkled throughout the corridor - all a basic but solid leantos with a privy, no picnic table and mostly near water. But as far as I can tell, there are virtually no camping restrictions. However, the rocky terrain effectively precludes tent camping for much of the trail including many creek and brook crossings. Hammockers, on the other hand, can camp anywhere. My last night's campsite on the shoreline of Stephens Pond (photo below) was one of the nicest ever.

6. For resupply, I physically dropped boxes off at motels in OxBow/Piseco (Mile 21) and Long Lake (Mile 85). Neither one of those communities have much in the way of grocery stores nor does Blue Mountain Lake which is at the half-way point. There are general stores where you could stock up on some things. Both motels were very hiker-friendly.

7. The part of the trail I hiked felt more remote than any part of the AT including Maine's 100 Mile Wilderness. I saw very very fellow hikers and crossed hardly any paved roads. Side trails are few in number and more likely lead to other remote areas, not to "civilization." Leaving Piseco, I didn't cross another paved road for 46 miles - the closest I came was a hard-packed gravel road with no traffic.

I was somewhat disappointed at not finishing the entire 121 mile trail but enjoyed what I did. And I look forward to returning next fall to finish the last 50 miles. Also, I had the pleasure of meeting WB's Dogwood in Long Lake after I got off the trail - he was heading SOBO after having hiked the Adirondack High Peaks.

stranger
10-07-2013, 23:29
Great trail and gives you a reason to return, the stretch from Lake Durant to Lake Placid is a great section

Dogwood
10-13-2013, 21:12
While you're waiting for your NatGeo maps, if you have Google Earth, take a peek at http://www.dec.ny.gov/maps/hikingtrailslink.kmz (http://www.dec.ny.gov/maps/hikingtrailslink.kmz). (Or, it's not that hard to install Google Earth.) While there are some inexplicable gaps, most of the official Adirondack Park trails are on it. You can see several possible routes from the area near where Duck Hole used to be to Marcy. I recommend Avalanche Pass if you have the time to do it (it's not the shortest route). The scenery there is absolutely breathtaking.

....The most popular connection from the NPT to Marcy is to turn east at Duck Hole (now dewatered since Hurricane Irene), take the old fire road to Preston Ponds, the Calamity Brook trail to Lake Colden, and the Opalescent River trail up to Lake Tear of the Clouds and Four Corners, approaching Marcy from the south.

But the most breathaking scenery is Avalanche Pass. If you have the time and are up for the miles, come down Marcy on the Van Hoevenberg trail as far as Marcy Dam, and return to Lake Colden through Avalanche Pass.

That's what I want to here AK, side routes and miles to add on that are scenically worth it. A 130 m hike is a very short hike to me. I'll be heading back to HI after this thru so want my latest east coast thru-hike memories to be .... memorable. THX for the Google Earth reference. Good way to jump start my pre hike prep.

THX AK. Your idea sounds good. I may see if I have the time to add even more miles so I'm going to look into what you're saying. What do you know about the Range Trail between MT M and Upper Wolfjaw? I read some opinions that it's considered one of the toughest, most rugged, and most scenic trails in NY but also with great scenery? It traverses eight of the high peaks all exceeding 4,ooo ft. Makes me want to do it. Sounds like my kind of hiking. I figure I'm in the area so I want to get in as much as possible. The NLPT seems like relatively easy lower elevation. I want to add in my variety.

Unbeknownst to me, on the same day Cookerhiker was starting his NOBO NPT thru-hike I was starting SOBO from Averyville Rd. I had hitched from the Plattsburgh Int AP in NY to Lake Placid. I was warned it would be a hard 50 mile or so hitch. Huh! Landed at 2 p.m. I was in Lake Placid picking up my mailed resupply box at the USPO at 3 p.m.! Stealthed that first night atop Cobble Hill overlooking Mirror Lake and the town of Lake Placid that first night. Great night view after this short 1.2 mile hike to the top of Cobble Hill. Felt like I was in a modern day Bedford Falls in It's a Wonderful Life. After hitting up EMS, getting a delish morning crepe at 46 Sandwiches(AWESOME crepes, omelets, and sandwiches named after each of the Adirondack's highest 46 peaks, I also wanted to get into a bit of the French Canadian thing too, Montreal is not that far away), my favorite java at Starbucks across the street, and an AWESOME VEGAN pre-hike powerhouse late lunch from The Good Bite Kitchen I mostly walked to the northern terninus(someone offered to drive me about 1.5 m the rest of the way). I hit the NPT heading SOBO.

After a 30 min stop at pretty Wanika Falls(some nice tent sites), at about .5 mile north of Duck Hole Lean-tos I veered off into the Adirondacks High Peaks Wilderness area via Trail 127 as it's listed on the Nat Geo Trail Illustrated map #742 to summit Mt Marcy, trout fish at Henderson Lake($35 for a 10 day out of state license which IMHO is well worth it if you like to fish and thru-hiking the NPT at a leisurely pace), head out over the Front Range Trail to the Garden Parking area, resupply in Keen Valley, and head back to the NPT westbound over Avalanche pass through the High Peaks area. There were at least 500 people atop Mt Marcy on a gorgeous Fall Saturday. I quickly continued on to the Front Range Trail. This basically ridgeline trail is difficult with plenty of steep, rocky, rooty, and muddy ascents and descents that sometimes require three pts of contact. The Front Range Trail and some other trails in the High Peaks area reminded me of the AT through the White Mountains of New Hampshire. The Front Range Trail got the better of me and I hyper extended my right knee so from the Garden area I quickly got a ride back into Lake Placid for resupply at Hannaford's Grocery Store, Tiger Balm, a knee support, and one day's R&R.

With renewed vigor I hitched to the ADK LOJ from where the free Lake Placid trolley bus left me off at the Olympic Ski Jump parking area. I headed out from there on Trail 75 past Rocky Falls(shweet Lean-to near by) to head up over Indian Pass(I mistakenly thought Indian Pass would be easier than Avalanche Pass, my knee was still sore and I wanted to keep the main goal of thruing the NPT alive), stop by Henderson Lake once again(nice lean-to site), and head back to the NPT where I had left off. Indian Pass was a great hike. Something akin to Mahoosuc Notch on the AT but with a vertical cliff face on one side of the trail. Thankfully, my knee held up.

If anyone is contemplating a side hike to Mt Marcy on a NPT hike don't get discouraged with the brief, less than 200 yds, of Trail 127 that might be underwater near Lower Pond about 3/4 of a mile east of the NPT. I got around this swampy area with totally dry feet by taking a bushwacking route slightly south nearer the pond by hopping from dry clump to dry clump. And, if you are only day hiking in the High Peaks Wilderness area, which I always managed to do, you don't need the required for overnight stays bear canister.

All total I added on about 65 trail miles to the NPT thru-hike to make it a 200 mile trek.

88BlueGT
10-16-2013, 11:04
Can we get an NPT sub-forum please??????? :) or just a forum for that Adirondacks in general? That would be GREAAAAAT.

Dogwood
10-16-2013, 11:47
Good call 88Blue GT.

Without totally rehashing all the excellent beta and advice already given I would like to emphasize just a few points mentioned by others.

1) It's a muddy, rooty, and rocky hike in some sections of the NPT. I would advise against thru-hiking the NPT around the spring thaw or after extensive heavy rain. I managed to keep my feet mostly dry though(used Solomon trail runners which were WP in only the front part of the shoe, my feet got sore though from all the rock hopping in muddy areas). Fall is great time to hike the NPT! - color, less people, plenty of available lean-to space, cooler temps, no bugs, typically drier trail.

2) Although a between ridgelines trail and a forested hike the NPT has many ponds, lakes, and streams that are quite scenic and offer some great campsites(few are listed on maps though). Folks leave often beat up canoes, small boats, etc on many of the waterways on the NPT unlocked. Respect this possible use if you take advantage of it! Fishing, as I did, for mostly Brook trout and Fallfish, was possible everyday.

3) No permits or bear canisters are needed on the NPT or if day hiking in the Adirondak High Peaks Region( High Peaks is off to the east slightly and only a bear canister is required if overnighting in this area, ie; it's possible to get outside the mandatory bear canister carrying area to camp even when hiking through the High peaks area).

4) The length of the NPT makes it possible to hike this trail in about 6-12 days which fits into many folk's timeframe.

5)The maintainers of the NPT can use our support as there are MANY muddy areas of the trail that need to be addressed such as with wooden walkways, pontoons, bridges, rock hopping, etc. Again, despite all the talk of muddy areas, I was able to keep my feet mostly dry in two wks of Fall hiking conditions.

Cookerhiker
10-27-2013, 11:28
This 5 minute YouTube video covers my hike:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9-ngBt0PPI

Toolshed
10-31-2013, 09:55
This 5 minute YouTube video covers my hike:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9-ngBt0PPI
Nice Job Cooker - I have been away for a while - busy with coaching sports and boy scouts, but trying to get back into the swing of backcountry things!!

Cookerhiker
10-31-2013, 20:54
Nice Job Cooker - I have been away for a while - busy with coaching sports and boy scouts, but trying to get back into the swing of backcountry things!!

Thanks - I guess you've even been too busy to hike the Susquehannock Trail for the 50th time.;)

Toolshed
11-01-2013, 22:10
Thanks - I guess you've even been too busy to hike the Susquehannock Trail for the 50th time.;)
When I die, bury me on top of Hemlock mountain on the BFT. If that doesn't work, my second choice is on top of the unnamed mountain Just South of Ole Bull ......:sun