PDA

View Full Version : Missing Hiker in Colorado

Spirit Walker
01-08-2011, 13:55
We received the following email this morning. I told this woman I would send out word of her missing son.

>
> My son, Abisha Mounce may have headed down the CDT.
>
> do you know of a place I could post a few links regarding him going missing?
>
> http://www.searchforabisha.org/
> http://www.themountainmail.com/main.asp?SectionID=4&SubSectionID=4&ArticleID=21291
>
> Thank you,
> Ingmar
>

mcskinney
01-08-2011, 23:08
CDT in CO in Jan?

Cabin Fever
01-08-2011, 23:39
CDT in CO in Jan?

His Jeep has been at the trailhead since October. Sounds eerily similar to the Randy Morgenson story (read "The Last Season").

Sierra Echo
01-08-2011, 23:51
Isnt he from Atlanta?

mweinstone
01-08-2011, 23:59
this is terrible. really scary. why did his car go for a ride one day from the lot? did he go to town and back and then fall in the mountains? man this sucks.

mcskinney
01-09-2011, 00:35
I hope to god he's ok but if he's been out there since Oct, he's gonna be out there until Spring/summer if you know what I mean.

Spirit Walker
01-09-2011, 01:17
He was an AT thruhiker, but I don't know his trailname or year.

mweinstone
01-09-2011, 01:23
its possible hes alive still. he has the skills.

mcskinney
01-09-2011, 01:31
its possible hes alive still. he has the skills.
It cannot be done without food stores, not in the high country.

mweinstone
01-09-2011, 01:42
wrong. heres how.

The Crestone area, which includes the Baca Grande and Moffat, Colorado, is a spiritual and new age center with several world religions represented; including a Hindu temple, a Zen center, a coed Carmelite monastery, several Tibetan centers, and miscellaneous new age happenings.

this is the town, of 72 people, he parked at.

mweinstone
01-09-2011, 01:47
maby in todays stressfull world, were gonna see perfectly sane folks drop out and tune in . so to say. i my self have concidered getting involved with a group working towards developing ways to squat inside superconclomorate food producers facilitys.

Safari
02-09-2011, 01:35
I hiked on & off with Abe (12 Pack) from Virginia south to Georgia in 09... he's a smart guy, knows how to take care of himself, this is really weird...

Shutterbug
05-10-2011, 12:20
I hiked on & off with Abe (12 Pack) from Virginia south to Georgia in 09... he's a smart guy, knows how to take care of himself, this is really weird...

According to the report, Abe's remains were found by cadaver dogs. His campsite was found by another hiker. Here is the story:

http://www.alamosanews.com/v2_news_articles.php?heading=0&page=72&story_id=20538

WildTomato
05-10-2011, 12:27
Thru-Hiking the AT does NOT prepare one properly for the CDT. It helps, but one needs much more experience hiking wild that the AT does not provide.

Wow, I just read the news report provided by Shutterbug. If this is him, damn. So tragic.

From the news story:

" Saguache County Sheriff Deputy Nick Tolsma while performing routine campground checks last October 26 documented a vehicle parked at the North Crestone Trailhead leading into the Sangre de Cristo Mountains. When the vehicle remained there over time, Deputy Tolsma traced it to Atlanta and found that Mounce had been driving the vehicle, a 2007 Jeep, when his wife reported him missing.

At that time in late 2010, Mounce’s wife told Tolsma and Saguache County Sheriff Investigator/Lieutenant Mark Werts that her husband had left on October 20 and the last she had heard from him was on October 21 when he emailed her to let her know he was quitting his job and going hiking for a couple of weeks. No credit card or bank account activity was logged after that time. "

He quit his job and went to the CDT on October 20th!? I do not know the details, but this sounds really odd.

If it is found to be him, condolences to the family in this tragic time come from myself and my wife.

Nean
05-10-2011, 12:57
Very sad when we go early in life.

A few things come to mind and don't seem odd.

First of all he wasn't on the cdt or anywhere close.:-?
Last Oct. would of been a good time to hike the Cristos.:-?
The fact he never made it far from car - emailed his wife, about quitting his job and going for a hike- tells me he was probably going through a difficult time and when one finds themself in a difficut situation... the easy way out can cross ones mind.

Of course anything can happen and does, but that would remove any "odd":(.

Phreak
05-10-2011, 12:59
.. Sad news ..

WY Fan
05-10-2011, 13:33
I wonder if he slept with his food bag in his tent.

Mags
05-10-2011, 13:41
Very sad when we go early in life.

First of all he wasn't on the cdt or anywhere close.:-?
Last Oct. would of been a good time to hike the Cristos.:-?

October can be a wonderful time to hike the Sangres. They often receive less snow than other ranges in CO. Esp at lower elevations, it can be a wonderful place for early and later season hikes.

And it is not really near the CDT indeed.

Sad story in any case. We probably shouldn't dwell too much on what may have happened. As someone pointed out to me, his family may be monitoring this thread.

Best to let the family have their peace.

I tend to keep a light hand for moderation, so I hope people respect this as much for the family as just for decencies sake, too.

Thanks!

TIDE-HSV
05-10-2011, 20:41
I'm sure there are more facts to come out, gotta be, really...

skinewmexico
05-11-2011, 00:18
I wonder if he slept with his food bag in his tent.

Dude. Too soon.

Shutterbug
05-12-2011, 11:36
We received the following email this morning. I told this woman I would send out word of her missing son.

>
> My son, Abisha Mounce may have headed down the CDT.
>
> do you know of a place I could post a few links regarding him going missing?
>
> http://www.searchforabisha.org/
> http://www.themountainmail.com/main.asp?SectionID=4&SubSectionID=4&ArticleID=21291
>
> Thank you,
> Ingmar
>

This article provides some additional information, but seems to raise more questions than answers.

http://www.examiner.com/crime-in-atlanta/skeletal-remains-found-colorado-may-be-missing-belong-to-atlanta-man

pistol p
05-12-2011, 19:30
Pretty sad. Sounds sketchy, to me...two guns and mailing your laptop home? I doubt his head was on square. (Depression is very easy to hide, even from your loved ones) Not saying that IS what happened, but quite likely. Again, sad.