PDA

View Full Version : Cabin Fever?

grayfox
01-08-2011, 16:24
I think it's a bad case of cabin fever. My patience is worn thin as rice paper. I can not suffer fools glady or any other way. I've been rude when there was no real reason to be. I'm sure it would all be better if I could just get out for a little walk and sleep on Mother Earth for a few nights.

I thought I might find some understanding here. Anybody else wishing it was Spring tomorrow?:sun

topshelf
01-08-2011, 16:26
I just wish my job didn't keep me from hiking or I'd be out right now.

emerald
01-08-2011, 16:40
I thought I might find some understanding here. Anybody else wishing it were Spring tomorrow?:sun
Wishing won't make Spring come earlier, only time can do what you wish. There are plenty of things you might do now. Consider them and pick one.

If you can't think of anything better to do, click on emerald > view public profile > statistics > view all threads started by emerald. Find a thread called Appalachian Spring and read it.

I'm about to go look for a new bird to add to my county list for 2011. I'm looking forward to Spring too, but there are many winter birds I have not yet seen.

Pedaling Fool
01-08-2011, 17:16
Wishing won't make Spring come earlier, only time can do what you wish. There are plenty of things you might do now. Consider them and pick one.

If you can't think of anything better to do, click on emerald > view public profile > statistics > view all threads started by emerald. Find a thread called Appalachian Spring and read it.

I'm about to go look for a new bird to add to my county list for 2011. I'm looking forward to Spring too, but there are many winter birds I have not yet seen.
Emerald is right, just ignore the fact that the way he says things makes you want to punch him in the face:D

:sun

emerald
01-08-2011, 17:25
Go play in your garden and be happy it isn't frozen.

ATsawyer
01-08-2011, 17:35
I may be somewhat prejudiced about this, but you could join a trail club and do a little off-season maintenance. My crew goes out year-round and does a lot of axe and saw work this time of year.

LIhikers
01-08-2011, 18:08
Winter is just another season to enjoy. Like the other 3 it has it's advantages and disadvantages. It's just that there is less room for error in winter backpacking and if you make a serious mistake you'll have to pay the consequences. All that being said, go out for a day hike in a local park, it'll help lessen the symptoms of cabin fever.

topshelf
01-08-2011, 18:22
I may be somewhat prejudiced about this, but you could join a trail club and do a little off-season maintenance. My crew goes out year-round and does a lot of axe and saw work this time of year.

I did get one free day and went out and cleaned some large limbs off the trail after the ice storm in an area north of TRIMPI shelter near the South Fork of the Holston.

enurdat1
01-08-2011, 18:52
I went and hit the left loop at Tsali Rec area Thursday. I was tired of looking at the mtns, and not playing in them. Did 12 miles, didn't see a sole. I have also pulled out my gear and did a couple of overnights in the back yard. One even turned into a date night with the Mrs. I love winter hiking, even when I don't have the time for overnighters.
First pic is Stecoah Gap trail head, second is from Tsali

Slo-go'en
01-08-2011, 18:53
I had to go and un-freeze my water line up at the source today - for the second time in two days and for the fourth time this winter. (I get water out of a stream) I hope I have it fixed now so it won't freeze up again, but just in case I better take a shower tonight!

After I was done playing in the water, figured I might as well continue hiking up the trail, seeing I already had my snowshoes on and all. Did a nice little 4 mile round trip. If I keep that up all winter, will be in great shape for an AT hike in the spring!

Bags4266
01-08-2011, 18:59
This is the time I use to plan for the next years sections. Getting trains,planes and automoblie logistics in order. I also plan my meal plan and dehydrate my food and vacum pack.

CinciJP
01-08-2011, 21:18
I went and hit the left loop at Tsali Rec area Thursday. I was tired of looking at the mtns, and not playing in them. Did 12 miles, didn't see a sole. I have also pulled out my gear and did a couple of overnights in the back yard. One even turned into a date night with the Mrs. I love winter hiking, even when I don't have the time for overnighters.
First pic is Stecoah Gap trail head, second is from Tsali

Great pictures Enurdat1!

Graywolf
01-08-2011, 21:41
Ive been out bike riding and planning for another hike/ride. Thats been keeping me sane.

Rocket Jones
01-08-2011, 21:45
My daughter and I spent the day constructing a Ray Jardine quilt. It came out very nice and I'm going to test it tonight. :) I'm also looking at adding those hiker pole loops to my pack (thanks Rain Man!) and will be experimenting with my Double Rainbow after seeing some of the mods recently posted.

I can't always get outside, but I can still do "outside" projects.

mweinstone
01-08-2011, 23:12
i live in a vast mansion deep in the tropical rainforrest of peurto rico. i have an indoor garden and a rooftop garden and i walk miles in the forrest each day.

then i open my eyes and im back in my apartment in the city.outside two men are screaming that the one stole the others blue pills.a cop has a roadstop and the red and blue lights are blinking wildly in my room. the lady upstairs is trying to make her kid stop screeming. the trash in the hall smells thru the tape i put around the door. ive been in this room 10 years. cabin feaver? no. i found god in this room.

Cabin Fever
01-08-2011, 23:32
Your thread title was calling my name...LITERALLY

fehchet
01-09-2011, 06:55
Route cause of Cabin Fever: extended periods of occupying a computer chair, most trips are short and only to the toilet or refrigerator, and loved ones are only noticed if they stick their heads in between you and the monitor.
Results: becoming pissed because some clown is spewing drivel when all you want to do is read and plan about hiking and camping and how fun it is to go to town and resupply and get drunk and watch from bed previously seen TV shows on a motel TV.
Solution: Make yourself go out and about for a walk each day even if it's just along the side of the road, have a meal with friends and loved ones instead of filling your plate and heading back to the computer, and volunteer at soup kitchens, homeless shelters, hospitals, or even trail maintenance.
Spring is only weeks away.

Smile
01-09-2011, 07:10
Great ideas fehchet :) Thanks for the encouraging words and advice!
Spring IS only weeks away.....

pistol p
01-09-2011, 17:38
Yes sir, Mr.Grayfox, sir. These upper mid-western winters can suck. It's easy for people to say, "Just get out an go for a hike". We've had single digit temps for the last few weeks and getting colder, plus the sub zero wind chills. That's enough to keep most sane individuals indoors. I personally try to get to the gym and work off some winter angst. I sometimes even hit the tanning bed to help cheer me up.

Only a 4-5 more months to go...hang in there!

Joshuatree
01-09-2011, 19:12
I was just thinking the same thing Pistol Pits been windy with sub zero windchills. Otherwise we've had winds pushing damp air off Lake Michigan which makes it very unpleasant. I think the real problem is the winter seems to of started a little earlier this year I know they were out ice fishing a good 3 weeks earlier then normal.

DapperD
01-10-2011, 02:37
I think it's a bad case of cabin fever. My patience is worn thin as rice paper. I can not suffer fools glady or any other way. I've been rude when there was no real reason to be. I'm sure it would all be better if I could just get out for a little walk and sleep on Mother Earth for a few nights.

I thought I might find some understanding here. Anybody else wishing it was Spring tomorrow?:sunI wish it was 80 degrees and sunny year round everyday!:banana

sbhikes
01-10-2011, 17:59
This is the best time of year to hike where I live. Yesterday I went for a 12 mile day hike and enjoyed everything from a sunny day above the clouds to walking in the snow to finding chanterelle mushrooms along the creek. It was a beautiful day! You gotta get out of whatever hell-hole you live in. Living in places without outdoor things to do in nature in winter is for people who live on the couch, not for people like us. So, move anywhere that you can enjoy nature in the winter, whether or not you get warm days like me or just beautiful days like Mags out in Colorado.

johnnybgood
01-10-2011, 20:19
Winter hiking is one of the most enjoyable times to hike and is so under appreciated .
Just think how great it is to be able to hike long distances without needing to lug liters of water.
Saturday was a brisk 20 degree day, but a clear day and I saw only two hikers in the 8+ miles I hiked . There was no sounds to be heard except the wind rustling through the trees. Nature has a winter look and feel about it , and whatever it is that I like about winter hiking ,cannot be easily put into words.

Get your winter gear out and go hike my friend. It won't be long till Spring , then Summer and all those 3 season hikers who clog the trails . .

Go hike .

Luddite
01-10-2011, 20:22
I wish it was 80 degrees and sunny year round everyday!:banana

Only boring places like Florida are like that.

Pedaling Fool
01-11-2011, 09:04
If that's the definition of a boring place, then Hawaii is the capital of boredom. It's like groundhog day there, WRT weather -- all year around.

moytoy
01-11-2011, 09:10
I had to go and un-freeze my water line up at the source today - for the second time in two days and for the fourth time this winter. (I get water out of a stream) I hope I have it fixed now so it won't freeze up again, but just in case I better take a shower tonight!

After I was done playing in the water, figured I might as well continue hiking up the trail, seeing I already had my snowshoes on and all. Did a nice little 4 mile round trip. If I keep that up all winter, will be in great shape for an AT hike in the spring!

:DSome people are just living a dream!