PDA

View Full Version : Going for it again in 2011..what I learned from '10

SurferNerd
01-08-2011, 17:24
:welcome my dear WhiteBlaze friends. It's a beautiful :sun day in San Francisco, CA. I've been traveling the US with work for almost a year now, and I've loved every bit of it. I got this job after a failed attempt at a thru hike in 2010. I lasted two weeks on the trail. Some of you may have wondered what happened, where I went, why I went. Well here's the scoop. My lessons learned and what I'm doing different this year.

1. I planned to dropship my supplies, cheaper by far, but inconvenient. I was carrying two weeks of food/consumables at a time. I was also having to settle with TONS of ramen, and no comfort foods. Hefty weight, almost 15lbs. I realized in the first few days, I could stop and get food as I go. More money, but far less stress on hiking. I laugh at it now. In 2011, I'm buying as I go.

2. Boots. For the love of God, does any company make a "waterproof" boot. In the first day of hiking in 2010, 3/1, we had a major snowstorm dropping up to 3ft snow drifts. No matter what the labels said, my feet were soaked in their GoreTex liners. I had gone through 4 companies before hitting the trail, and all 4 failed the small stream test. Cold toes are unhappy toes. I froze my toes, and that affected me. In 2011, I spent $265 on full grain leather Asolo boots with a record of great reviews and dry toes. I've broken them in, and I've stream tested them, they work! :banana

3. Sunscreen. I don't care if the smallest bottle is 50lbs, I'm bringing it. I screwed up so bad by not having it, thinking it was a luxury item. Snow reflects sunlight, and man was I burnt. I was so red and stiff I could barely move. It affected my hiking so much, it was partial to why I got off. So in 2011, I'm bringing sunscreen.

4. Camp shoes. I didn't think I needed them. Ya...not good. After a day of slodging in wet boots, a pair of teva would have been heaven. But instead, I was having to deal with wet, muddy boots every time I left a shelter. SO in 2011, I'm packing a light pair of cheap foam sandals.

5. Shelter. I originally went with a Tarptent Contrail. Lightweight, small, easy to setup. BUT, I ended up becoming a shelter dog in the snow, because of the hassles of snow setups. Plus even when I did sleep in it, condensation sucked. And then, trying to ever get it dry was a nightmare. Then the weight of the ThermaRest to keep me comfy. Ugh..not a good setup. So in 2011, I'm a hammock hanger. I once lived in a hammock in my apartment instead of a bed, I loved it. I got a Hennessey Hammock Utralight Backpacker with the Thermal Kit for top and bottom. It's not much lighter than the Contrail setup, but once the weather gets warm it'll be much lighter and more effective. I'll drop my sleeping bag, and just use a blanket. With the snakeskins, and how it works, it'll never touch the snowy ground and get nasty wet. In 2011, I plan to spend less time in shelters unless its necessary.

6. Clothing. I originally went with 3 layers. A warm thermal layer, a normal layer, and an outer layer. I didn't pack for camp clothes, and I didn't pack to let a layer dry out or two. In 2011, I'm packing a camp clothing layer thats NOT for hiking in, ONLY for camp. And I'm changing from a heavy rainsuit that never dries, to a poncho. Cheaper, lighter, and can dried easier.

7. Finances. The last, but most important part. In 2010, I was going bare bones, skin tight, no spare $. I was on a no hostel, no town, ramen eating path to destruction. I realized quite quickly that part of the hiking experience is going out and enjoying the towns, being social at hostels, and being happy. In 2011, I'm going to be on a very comfortable budget that will allow me a lot more social, and fun times.

All in all, I learned the lessons from my 2010 attempt, and I'm ready to go at it again. My gear is still the lightest stuff on the market, and its all in great shape. I'm working to stay healthier and get some practice hikes in this spring instead of just jumping in. I feel good, and I'm ready. :banana

Red Hat
01-08-2011, 18:24
I did wonder what happened you you after you left the TN group that Feb evening. I honestly didn't have high expectations for you based on your plans. Glad to see that you learned and are ready to move on. PS. you will keep learning as you go! I hope you have a great hike this year. Take your time and enjoy!

BrianLe
01-08-2011, 18:31
“In 2011, I spent $265 on full grain leather Asolo boots with a record of great reviews”
The “right” shoes are very individual; I was happy with trail runners and an early start; I used goretex socks in the snow, plus of course good wool socks, and my feet were fine (certainly not always dry, but fine). The catch with boots is that if conditions are bad enough, long enough, they’ll get wet and will take a long time to dry.
I’m not trying to talk you out of your decision, just --- hopefully you’ve thought through the downsides of heavy boots.
Sunscreen: interesting that you got burned. I started in late Feb (2010) and almost never put on sunscreen and didn’t get burned, but I did wear a hat all the time (I’m a bald guy …). Indeed more sun than I had expected, but just in general I tend to stay covered up, and that’s even easier when the weather is cold.
Camp shoes: related to the boot decision. If you’re bringing boots, then likely you want them. I was very happy with my down booties for the first couple of states, but with trail runners I had no interest in camp shoes after that. Again, not an argument here, just different approaches.
Shelter: I carried a contrail too for most of the trail, and I say “carried” as I didn’t put it up that often --- with a fairly early start there was almost always room in the shelters. I might have slept 10 nights in my tent (?), including a couple of days off at Trail Days in Damascus.
Hammock camping: I own a hammock too (Hennessy), and I strongly urge you to get a lot of practice with this, and dial in your underquilt (or whatever) to sleep out at least a couple of nights in your lowest anticipated temps. Of all the various things one has to learn about backpacking, I found that hammock camping has one of the biggest learning curves --- getting a level (or not) pitch, staying dry, where various gear goes, getting the height right, the tension right, a lot of new and unique gear decisions. The AT is a great trail to use a hammock on, I just don’t suggest starting a thru-hike with a hammock in cold weather without some decent shakedown practice at it first.
Best of luck, I hope you have a great trip!

Phreak
01-08-2011, 18:35
2. Boots. For the love of God, does any company make a "waterproof" boot.
The only 100% waterproof boots are made of rubber.

SurferNerd
01-08-2011, 18:50
“In 2011, I spent $265 on full grain leather Asolo boots with a record of great reviews”
The “right” shoes are very individual; I was happy with trail runners and an early start; I used goretex socks in the snow, plus of course good wool socks, and my feet were fine (certainly not always dry, but fine). The catch with boots is that if conditions are bad enough, long enough, they’ll get wet and will take a long time to dry.
I’m not trying to talk you out of your decision, just --- hopefully you’ve thought through the downsides of heavy boots.
Sunscreen: interesting that you got burned. I started in late Feb (2010) and almost never put on sunscreen and didn’t get burned, but I did wear a hat all the time (I’m a bald guy …). Indeed more sun than I had expected, but just in general I tend to stay covered up, and that’s even easier when the weather is cold.
Camp shoes: related to the boot decision. If you’re bringing boots, then likely you want them. I was very happy with my down booties for the first couple of states, but with trail runners I had no interest in camp shoes after that. Again, not an argument here, just different approaches.
Shelter: I carried a contrail too for most of the trail, and I say “carried” as I didn’t put it up that often --- with a fairly early start there was almost always room in the shelters. I might have slept 10 nights in my tent (?), including a couple of days off at Trail Days in Damascus.
Hammock camping: I own a hammock too (Hennessy), and I strongly urge you to get a lot of practice with this, and dial in your underquilt (or whatever) to sleep out at least a couple of nights in your lowest anticipated temps. Of all the various things one has to learn about backpacking, I found that hammock camping has one of the biggest learning curves --- getting a level (or not) pitch, staying dry, where various gear goes, getting the height right, the tension right, a lot of new and unique gear decisions. The AT is a great trail to use a hammock on, I just don’t suggest starting a thru-hike with a hammock in cold weather without some decent shakedown practice at it first.
Best of luck, I hope you have a great trip!

I appreciate the advice, it always helps. I'd rather the weight of heavy boots. I've been breaking them in with no problems so far. I had trailrunners last year, and I hated it. I had GoreTex and Merino Wool socks. The combo..didn't work. But as you said, its individual, and I found my correct setup. Sunscreen, I have fair skin, and I was wearing a jungle hat. But the sun reflected up from the snow storm we had that first week of March. Either way, I burned, and I'm not going that route again. I'll carry the weight. Camp shoes.. I haven't bought any yet, I may take cardboard and duct tape and make a pair. Just something so when I need to make a bathroom run from the shelter its not a 10min prep. just slip em on and go. I forgot about down booties, THANK YOU! I'll be buying them, forget about those. As for my hammock, I'm done deal on the setup, with work I haven't had time to play with it, but I'm sure I'll get some in before I leave.

I know. Hiking in giant rubber rain boots might be awkward and painful. But I think I found my alternative.

Torch09
01-08-2011, 20:32
Maybe consider starting a month or two later? It seems most of your problems were weather related.

4shot
01-08-2011, 20:51
Like Redhat, I met you last year at the Nashville dinner that Rain Man organized. I think there were 4 or 5 of us who were going to attempt a thru-hike last year and have often wondered how everyone did (I know that Red Hat got to Maine from her post here on WB). Good luck and best wishes on your hike, sounds like you learned a few things that may help you this year.

SurferNerd
01-08-2011, 21:04
Maybe consider starting a month or two later? It seems most of your problems were weather related.

You sir, are 100% correct. My drop was about 80% snow/wet related. And this time around. I will NOT leave until I feel it right. Last year, I left because the finances wouldn't go another month at home. This year..I'm not concerned.

4shot
01-08-2011, 21:07
I appreciate the advice, it always helps. I'd rather the weight of heavy boots. I've been breaking them in with no problems so far. I had trailrunners last year, and I hated it.

Forgot to add, I am definitely one who prefers boots and the Asolos I started with were the best pair I had on the entire trail (went through 4 pairs). Go with what works for you and stick with it, even though as you know trail runners are the preferred footwear by tyhe majority of thru hikers. Camp shoes? Crocs or a cheap substitute are fine for that purpose.I know from our meeting last year that you are a former Marine - if you can handle the Marine Corps you can get to Katadin. It's all about the "want to".

SurferNerd
01-08-2011, 21:15
Forgot to add, I am definitely one who prefers boots and the Asolos I started with were the best pair I had on the entire trail (went through 4 pairs). Go with what works for you and stick with it, even though as you know trail runners are the preferred footwear by tyhe majority of thru hikers. Camp shoes? Crocs or a cheap substitute are fine for that purpose.I know from our meeting last year that you are a former Marine - if you can handle the Marine Corps you can get to Katadin. It's all about the "want to".

Last year, it was about "cant afford it", and f&^$ snow. This year, it's happening. I'm keeping my attitude positive. The current project I'm working on will end the last of February. I'll spend a few weeks at my parents getting ready, and by the end of March..I'm making it happen.

Half Note
01-08-2011, 21:21
My biggest fear is the finances too. It will be the only thing stopping me. I wish the best of luck to you mate.

Praha4
01-08-2011, 22:14
raingear suggestion:

you complained about a "heavy" rainsuit. What was it? I used a Mountain Hardwear Typhoon jacket (14-15 oz), and Golite Tumalo rainpants, both did exceptionally well in driving rain and/or sleet in cold conditions on the AT. No problem "drying" them out. If you just bring a poncho, be prepared to get wet under the poncho in high winds. I've used many ponchos, they tend to billow like a parachute in high winds, allowing rain to penetrate below and soak your clothing. That probably won't be a big deal in the summer, but in cold weather it will be a problem.

One of your largest problems was not having dry clothes for camp at night.

I think also your expensive boots will get wet and very heavy and feel like a ball and chain around your feet after a while on the AT.

good luck

SurferNerd
01-08-2011, 22:17
raingear suggestion:

you complained about a "heavy" rainsuit. What was it? I used a Mountain Hardwear Typhoon jacket (14-15 oz), and Golite Tumalo rainpants, both did exceptionally well in driving rain and/or sleet in cold conditions on the AT. No problem "drying" them out. If you just bring a poncho, be prepared to get wet under the poncho in high winds. I've used many ponchos, they tend to billow like a parachute in high winds, allowing rain to penetrate below and soak your clothing. That probably won't be a big deal in the summer, but in cold weather it will be a problem.

One of your largest problems was not having dry clothes for camp at night.

I think also your expensive boots will get wet and very heavy and feel like a ball and chain around your feet after a while on the AT.

good luck

REI Taku Top, MH bottoms. I can deal with my legs getting wet, and my new hiking pants are water repellent (tested). The taku was great, until it was raining for long periods of time. Once the moisture seeped in, it was done for the day. My boots...I'm going to risk it.

Fog Horn
01-08-2011, 22:21
REI Taku Top, MH bottoms. I can deal with my legs getting wet, and my new hiking pants are water repellent (tested). The taku was great, until it was raining for long periods of time. Once the moisture seeped in, it was done for the day. My boots...I'm going to risk it.

Good luck man, and remember to come back here and share the new lessons you learn this time around with those of us who don't plan to thru till 2012 and beyond :)

Iron Will
01-08-2011, 22:43
i swear up and down by asolos!!!
i had a pair of these
http://www.rei.com/product/706762
partial leather partial synthetics that came upto my ankle for some support but not much further and they were AWESOME!!!
i went on a canoeing trip up north at isle royale and usually could get out of the canoe onto land without having to step very far into the water and the water proof boots always did me right
but at one point in the trip i had to sacrifice the dryness of my boots and step in water upto my knees for a while and of course my feet were flooded with water from the inside out, BUT here is the good news!!

the next day i hiked 10 miles or so in my soaking wet to the core boots, WITHOUT socks!! to help them and my feet breath and with a few breaks through out the day to air my feet out and let them dry
and by the end of the day i had walked all the water out and they were dry like before!!

because of that i shelled out another 250$ for some full leather asolos that looked more like "work boots" to wear at work and they kept my feet warm and dry through snow upto my knees and any other situation

i love my running shoes but nothing tops my love for asolos!!!

SurferNerd
01-08-2011, 22:52
i love my running shoes but nothing tops my love for asolos!!!

Awesome, these are the ones I got: http://www.rei.com/product/693828

Glad to hear from another Asolo follower.

Grampie
01-09-2011, 12:40
Being on the trail is such a great teacher. Looks like you were a very good student...Happy trails on your venture in 2011.:sun

Stearman
01-09-2011, 15:39

Not quite true, but I can't hike in my riding boots. http://www.dubarry.us/product/7

Speakeasy TN
01-09-2011, 17:14
Nice to see Tennessee well represented! I'll be NOBO 3/20 weather permitting. See ya out there!

Bearpaw
01-09-2011, 19:17
Good on ya. On the AT, mail drops should mostly be for maps and meds. Have fun. Stay warm. Drink a few beers for me. When you get to Damascus, be sure to look up Lone Wolf. He's always glad to see another Marine hiking.

FritztheCat
01-09-2011, 19:44
Good luck! I may see you out there but you're starting before me and will probably be ahead the whole time. Write some interesting stuff in journals for those of us behind you. :)

SurferNerd
01-14-2011, 00:36
Ugh..I had some saddening news come in today. The project I'm currently working ends at the end of February. That was the plan, knew that a while back. Perfect timing for a thru hike right? Well, this morning. My boss offered me a position that's going to be hard to refuse. At my age its hard to turn down a high dollar salary in a ****ty economy. I'm more than sure a position will still be there when I get back, but I dunno.. I may get a few weeks in on the trail, but my thru may be a bust again. Ugh, I'm so hyped for hiking, but I don't want to put a bad taste in my employer's mouth. Esp when he considers me his most valuable and resourceful techs.

hobbs
01-14-2011, 01:01
Ugh..I had some saddening news come in today. The project I'm currently working ends at the end of February. That was the plan, knew that a while back. Perfect timing for a thru hike right? Well, this morning. My boss offered me a position that's going to be hard to refuse. At my age its hard to turn down a high dollar salary in a ****ty economy. I'm more than sure a position will still be there when I get back, but I dunno.. I may get a few weeks in on the trail, but my thru may be a bust again. Ugh, I'm so hyped for hiking, but I don't want to put a bad taste in my employer's mouth. Esp when he considers me his most valuable and resourceful techs.
Serfnerd just read your problem..have you thought of telling your boss about your AT Quest? Thats just an idea. I always learned it doesn't hurt to ask or tell your boss what your Plans are...

Bearpaw
01-14-2011, 11:21
Another idea. Consider how long will the new contract will last. If it goes until, say, June or July, you could do a SOBO hike starting just after the contract ends. Plenty of options.

4shot
01-14-2011, 11:48
I'm more than sure a position will still be there when I get back, but I dunno..

Esp when he considers me his most valuable and resourceful techs.

If you are sure you have a position when you get back, do your hike. Jobs come and go but if you have a hunger to hike the trail, don't keep putting it off as someday may never get here.

As others say, go sit down with the man and talk to him about your situation and THEN make your decision. Do NOT make any assumptions until you have done this. Best wishes.

Big Dawg
01-14-2011, 11:56
Good to hear,,, have fun!! :sun

sbhikes
01-14-2011, 13:13
Half the fun is learning from your mistakes and going out for another go of it.

After I left the trail with broken feet I figured out exactly what I need for my feet to survive and armed with that knowledge I told the guy at the running store what I wanted. He thought I was nuts but when I demostrated what I was after he came around and realized I was right. My feet were happy on the trail and I feel so much more independent and self-reliant now that I can go in to a running store and boss the ignorant shoe sellers around. :)

I also really enjoyed spending the time between my two hikes honing my gear down. I have a great kit that is light and serves my needs perfectly. If I hadn't had the time between the hikes, I would have soldiered on with what I had and not had the chance to get my perfect kit.

Many Walks
01-14-2011, 13:34
I hiked in full leather Gore-tex Asolos for quite a while. Don't fool yourself by thinking a stream test tells the entire story. They are fine for some wet exposure, but when you hike for days in the rain they will get soaked and will take days to dry out again. I still prefer boots, but presently go with Keens or Merrells that will get wet, but dry quickly. Having extra dry socks is the key. Sounds like you learned some good lessons. Hope you get to have a great hike!

SurferNerd
01-18-2011, 22:54
Well I took my Zamberlain shoes back. Great, but they had a nasty pressure point on the top where the tongue comes in. I'm so lost with shoes. I think I'm going the Asolo route one last try. As for the purchasing of my hammock gear, its paused for now.

I spoke with my boss, who did enjoy the conversation. Being that he's in NC near the trail, he knows what I'm looking to do. I usually work project to project, they usually last a yr. Supposedly, this next one is 10 months. It would take me for another year to make a lot of extra money. I'll have something when I come back, yet it may be bad timing or not as much money. As far as my hiking in 2011 goes...I'm still planning it.

Pommes
01-20-2011, 23:20
I use a pair of walmart sneakers. Works great.

Raul Perez
01-21-2011, 02:44
Make sure you dial in and know the limitation of your hammock gear and insulation before you head out. That's key to the comfort out on the trail.