PDA

View Full Version : sunglasses... needed or not?

Megapixel
01-08-2011, 18:21
Did you find that you used sunglasses on the AT, and if so, how frequently? I"m thinking they might come in handy in the Whites and in towns, but i'm not sure if that is enough of a reason to try and keep up with them.

Toolshed
01-08-2011, 18:24
Most of the trail is shaded. I couldn't stand wearing mine on my sections. Dripped sweat on them constantly, the few times I tried them over the years...it was more of a nuisance than when I really needed them.
YMMV

SurferNerd
01-08-2011, 18:32
I'd say carry a cheap "dollar tree" pair just through the winter months. There is no shade in winter, and the snow reflections do hurt and damage your eyes. When the foliage appears, throw them in a shelter box. DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT carry expensive Oakley, etc. OMG, I still kick myself for a boy scout hike years ago where I damaged a $150 pair and contemplated suicide at that age.

kayak karl
01-08-2011, 18:35
When you get up in the morning and the light is hurt your head
The first thing you do when you get up out of bed
Is hit that street a-runnin' and try to meet the masses
And go get yourself some cheap sunglasses

HiKen2011
01-08-2011, 18:35
I'd say carry a cheap "dollar tree" pair just through the winter months. There is no shade in winter, and the snow reflections do hurt and damage your eyes. When the foliage appe ars, throw them in a shelter box. DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT carry expensive Oakley, etc. OMG, I still kick myself for a boy scout hike years ago where I damaged a $150 pair and contemplated suicide at that age.

Suicide over sunglasses? Ouch

SurferNerd
01-08-2011, 18:55
Suicide over sunglasses? Ouch

At 14, $150 was like a year's allowance. I was more concerned with suicide instead of my parents murdering me.

healthymom
01-08-2011, 19:10
When you get up in the morning and the light is hurt your head
The first thing you do when you get up out of bed
Is hit that street a-runnin' and try to meet the masses
And go get yourself some cheap sunglasses
Thanks Karl!
I'm a huge ZZTop fan!

daddytwosticks
01-08-2011, 19:17
If you are thru-hiking and starting in the south in March or April, there will be no leaf cover. The sun is very bright...go with ZZ Top's suggestion. :)

swjohnsey
01-08-2011, 19:56
Walmart has Berkley fishing glasses, 100% UV A & B, polarized for $4.96. Optical quality is good and you will look like Richard Petty.

Lone Wolf
01-08-2011, 20:07
Did you find that you used sunglasses on the AT, and if so, how frequently? I"m thinking they might come in handy in the Whites and in towns, but i'm not sure if that is enough of a reason to try and keep up with them.
not needed

HiKen2011
01-08-2011, 20:18
Personally, I hate sunglasses except on very rare occasions, ball game etc. Hiking, no way for me. I usually wear a cap-hat and pull the bill down if needed. Sunglasses make me sweat even more around my eyes, I hate that.

garlic08
01-08-2011, 21:18
Interesting you mentioned towns. That's the only time I wished I had sunglasses on the AT. Glare off cars and buildings is a pain when you're not used to it. No need on the trail and it's not worth it to carry for towns.

I was a little concerned when the sun came out after a couple of days of snow in the Smokies, but there was a lot of shade and the sun was behind me and I barely noticed the lack.

Megapixel
01-08-2011, 21:27
thanks all. very helpful indeed.

bigcranky
01-08-2011, 21:35
I wear sunglasses all the time, and like the $150 Oakleys. However, on section hikes I leave them at home in favor of a hat with a brim. I find that I don't need them in the woods, since the sun is not reflected off the forest floor like it is off roads. The only place I miss having them is in town :). This is true even in winter.

Egads
01-08-2011, 22:37
Yep, when the leaves are down & specially in the snow

Kerosene
01-08-2011, 23:37
When the leaves are down, above treeline for multiple miles, and perhaps in town. Of course, the sun has to be out, which will likely only occur when you're in town!

runfifty
01-08-2011, 23:42
FWIW.......I wore them a lot, through the winter snows and summer sun. Nothing is more important than protecting my eyes. They also protected me from the greenery and branches when they encroached on the trail.

chiefiepoo
01-09-2011, 00:30
Some research suggests that cataracts later in life are formed as a result of UV damage sustained before age 25. If you have lived in Fl all of your life and been about without sunglasses, you're probably zapped. Starting around age 60, you can look forward to a few years of clouded vision, night time glare, and reduced low light vision and ultimately, lens implants. If you plan to spend the better part of a summer walking the trail, limiting UV exposure ought to be a consideration. I wear a pair of progressive lens , UV coated, polarized, whiz bang twisty frame sun glasses and was happy to have them on several of those gypsy moth stripped ridges last summer in the mid Atlantic states. Clip ons from WalMart @10.00 work just as good.

BrianLe
01-09-2011, 00:38
When the leaves are on the trees, I'd be happy on the AT without sunglasses; there are exceptions where they're nice, however, so a lightweight inexpensive pair isn't a bad idea.

Roland
01-09-2011, 07:09
I expected direction-of-travel to be mentioned, as a factor. I'm surprised it hasn't.

simon
01-09-2011, 09:25
I like to wear a cheap pair of sunglasses that brighten up my surroundings. I also find i get less gnats in my eyes.

lori
01-09-2011, 09:38
I had cataracts at 32. Needed.

skinewmexico
01-09-2011, 14:52
My eyes are pretty sun damaged, so I take them everywhere. Cheap insurance.

Awol1970
01-09-2011, 14:56
I love love love my rayban polarized shades that the ex got me a couple of years ago for my birthday. Totally awesome for driving and a day in the park. If i'm doing something sketchy like hiking or going to the beach, then a $15 dollar pair of polarized Foster Grants are both effective AND cool looking. :sun

daddytwosticks
01-09-2011, 15:10
If you were an old fart like me and already wore prescription glasses, I would recommend the transition-type lenses. They work great for me. :)

SwingLow
01-10-2011, 23:36
I always wear a cheap pair that isnt tinted very dark. I like medium sized lenses because they help keep the gnats out of my eyes.

TheYoungOne
01-11-2011, 00:30
I need perscription glasses, and while I usually wear contact lenses at home and work, due to the un-sanitary conditions of the trail I wear my glasses. I have that photo gray tint that turns my regular glasses into shades when exposed to bright sunlight. With the exceptions of road crossings and getting out on scenic vistas like the pinnacle, my glasses are almost always clear. I guess it would not hurt to carry some lightweight, durable cheap sunglasses.