PDA

View Full Version : PLB? Worth it or not?

SurferNerd
01-08-2011, 20:33
So my big Christmas gift this year was a PLB from my fiance. Ya, I know, she's got her peace of mind now. But I do a lot hiking when I'm not working, which has taken me into some pretty cool remote places out here in the West. Plus, it's off-season so I'm not seeing lots of people.

Anywho, PLB? I got the FastFind GPS. It's lightweight, it's compact. And its the big giant red button in case of serious emergency on the trail. What's everyone's opinions on them? Carry or not? I mean its a small weight to carry for such an important tool.

leaftye
01-08-2011, 20:37
You got it from the fiance. I think you have to carry it.

Since when is Tennessee in the West?

Wise Old Owl
01-08-2011, 20:38
Glad you said it was for the west, on the AT not need. So long as it works.

SurferNerd
01-08-2011, 20:43
You got it from the fiance. I think you have to carry it.

Since when is Tennessee in the West?

Glad you said it was for the west, on the AT not need. So long as it works.

I work as a mobile IT Engineer. In the past 10 months, I've lived in NY, CT, NJ, IL, WA, OR, ID, and now CA. I've been hiking in most all of the places above, and even when driving out I80, there's no signal in Montana, Nebraska, etc. Out here in the High Sierra, its a requirement. I understand no need on AT, just was interested in opinions.

Sonno
01-08-2011, 20:59
Dyslexia FTW!
I read that as "PBJ? Worth it or not?" and I was about to say "Hell yeah!" :D

Mismatch
01-09-2011, 12:58
I got a spot from my parents/grandparents for Christmas. They want me to use it on my AT through-hike:(

Even if I don't really see the point, it's light and it makes them feel better. I'm willing to lug a few pointless ounces for the sake of my family's peace of mind.

But I don't think I would spend my money on it... I guess hiking in the west is a different story. You can't let it go to your head. I think that is my only problem with those things. Last thing we need is some reckless guy saying "If I get hurt then I can just press the button and I'll be fine so I can afford to go off trail and do some sick bouldering."

SurferNerd
01-09-2011, 19:31
I got a spot from my parents/grandparents for Christmas. They want me to use it on my AT through-hike:(

Even if I don't really see the point, it's light and it makes them feel better. I'm willing to lug a few pointless ounces for the sake of my family's peace of mind.

But I don't think I would spend my money on it... I guess hiking in the west is a different story. You can't let it go to your head. I think that is my only problem with those things. Last thing we need is some reckless guy saying "If I get hurt then I can just press the button and I'll be fine so I can afford to go off trail and do some sick bouldering."

Misconception: The SPOT is not a PLB. The difference is simple.

If I send an e signal via SPOT(if it has signal), they call the local police SAR.

If I send an e signal via PLB(signal guaranteed), it calls in the USAF, Coast Guard, NOAA, Military, SAR, government, etc.

The SPOT is great for communication when it gets signal, and that emergency possibility. But a PLB is a device for dire life or death, no chance to get out, red button of immediate doom device. As such, only an idiot would push a PLB for a quick airlift out. Considering the average SAR bill is easily at minimum $250k, I find it my last resort. Heck I wouldn't even push it until after a few days of no human contact just in case.

QiWiz
01-09-2011, 23:02
IMHO you do not need it on the AT. Enough traffic on trail for someone to get help if you need it. That is unless you want the extra weight for balancing your load. :D

darkage
01-10-2011, 03:58
Dyslexia FTW!
I read that as "PBJ? Worth it or not?" and I was about to say "Hell yeah!" :D

Don't feel bad, i did it too ...