PDA

View Full Version : Need Backpack help for a PCT Thru

Woods
01-08-2011, 22:38
Hi
Going make the 5 hour trip next weekend weather permitting to look primarily at Packs at the closest REI.

Where I live there isnt too much for backpack selection I tried some Osprey Model and didnt like the feel of them

Im leaning towards a Golite either Odyssey Pinnacle or Quest right now. I want something big enough so I think a 70 L will hold a bearvault throught the Sierras with roughly 10 days of food. My base weight now is 1.5 lbs sleeping bad a little less than 3 lb tent which at this point Im hoping to have switched to just a tarp and bivy. I know food and water I will have to carry a lot more than a AT hike and this will be my first extended hike.

Im on a pretty tight budget for the whole trip but is there any other packs I should take a look while I am there

Thanks in advance

leaftye
01-08-2011, 22:50
REI Flash
Granite Gear Vapor

Or schedule your start date to coincide with ADZPCTKO and pick up a pack there. If you don't like the offerings at Lake Morena, you can still go to REI and pick up a pack there.

mstone
01-08-2011, 23:02
Take a look at ULA packs. I have a circuit and like it alot. A Catalyst might be what you're looking for. Good luck!

BrianLe
01-09-2011, 00:45
I second the ULA suggestion. In '08 I think I saw more ULA packs on the PCT than anything else (?), and I never met an unhappy ULA owner (myself included).

Yes, you can't try it on in a store, but you can get it mailed to you and mail it back if you don't like it --- call them to make sure, but I'd be surprised if not.

Circuit vs. Catalyst: the latter should certainly do it, the former might depending on your gear. The trouble with the bear can is that you pick it up at the same time that you might also be opting for a bit more in the way of warm clothes (?), basically you're at your maximum for bulk in the Sierras.

I used a Gossamer Gear pack (Mariposa Plus) to do the PCT; I had a fair bit of weight on mine in the Sierras, beyond recommended weight, and the pack straps showed some alarming loose threads, but it held together.

My recollection, last I looked, was that Osprey options are about as light as REI offers. Do make sure that you know the weight and features of good online options before letting the (admittedly nice) sales people at REI set your expectations for what a "light" and what a "heavy" pack is.

skinewmexico
01-09-2011, 02:32
40% off at the Golite site now with code BS10. But I wouldn't trade my ULA for anything they have.

Scratch
01-09-2011, 10:34
I have the Pinnacle and I absolutely love it. It's roomy and light. I'm not sure how well the hip belt is going to hold out on a long trip, but if you went with a Pinnacle, I don't think you'd be disappointed.

JRiker
01-09-2011, 10:49
+1 on ULA packs. i have a conduit (now called cdt) and a relay. neither of those models are big enough for what you want, but the Catalyst and maybe the circuit are, and ULA quality is fantastic

Bags4266
01-09-2011, 10:58
Can't speak for the other great packs mentioned above. But as an owner of a Pinnacle I love it. Its huge light but at the same time could be reduced small. It carries great up to 25lbs ok at 30. BTW how are you going to fit 10 days of food in a Bear Vault?

Colter
01-09-2011, 12:34
The suggestion of picking out a pack at ADZPCTKO might be a good option for you if you planned to start then. Nothing like trying on a pack yourself and at least last year many of the best lightweight pack manufacturers were there.

I have a Pinnacle and along with other people wrote a review here (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/reviews/category_display?cid=13). For me, the Pinnacle is a good pack except it tends to slump if not packed very carefully. Other people had that problem, too.

If you scan the ratings for various pack companies at that site mentioned above, you'll see that Six Moon Designs, ULA, Gossamer Gear, MLD, as well as Zpacks, etc. are near the top of the listings.

Iceaxe
01-09-2011, 13:52
I used a Golite Pinnacle for the PCT.
A couple of thoughts:
My Bear vault 500 did fit inside in the horizontal position if i put the top (lid) end in first and wedged the bottom in last. Othrwise you would have to carry it vertically.. no big deal but it took up a bit more real estate inside the pack.
I found that stuffing my ridgerest inside my Pinnacle between my back and the load made the pack a lot more comfortable.
The pack tended to fold a bit when loaded over 20 lbs and transferred most of the weight to my shoulders.
The Load lifter straps on my Pinnacle frayed at mile 500 and i had to make repairs using dental floss which lasted until mile 1000 where Golite sent me a replacement pack.
The hipbelt on my replacement pack had built in pockets.. they were nice but they frayed by the time I reached the Washington stateline and again i just made repairs with dental floss which lasted till Canada.
I would still recommend the GoLite Pinnacle if your base weight is 15 lbs or less and you are careful the way you pack the load. Since there is only a thin piece of foam for a "frame" it was helpful to stuff my gear in the pack tight to create a rigid load to carry. This prevented the "folding" pack and weight transfer to shoulders effect I was getting early on.
One of the great things about the Pinnacle are the side mesh pockets. They are angled just right to make stowing and retrieving water bottles quite easy.
My experience with GoLite customer service was good. If you do have a problem on trail an actual person answers the phone at Golite. I called from Red's Meadow Golite had a new Pack waiting at Echo Lake. Though I did have to use a credit card over the phone to pay for the new pack.. Golite refunded the money after I sent them the old pack.
That being said, if you attend the ADZPCTKO ULA, Gossamer Gear, and Six Moon Designs will have packs on hand for sale. It is a nice way to try on their gear before buying.
I have a Mountain Laurel Designs Pack now and though it cost twice what my Golite Pinnacle did, the Exodus has survived one full thru hike(CDT) and is going on the AT now as well.
You get what you pay for it seems.

skinewmexico
01-09-2011, 14:47
For me, the Pinnacle is a good pack except it tends to slump if not packed very carefully. Other people had that problem, too.

I would say mine tends to slump if not packed carefully, compressed carefully, or is overloaded.