PDA

View Full Version : what 600 miles ?

ged123
01-09-2011, 07:48
hi could i ask if you where to do 600 mils of the A.T which 600 mile section would you choose ?...... I am thinking of a trip in 2012 but only have 9 weeks or so to hike and coming from scotland . would appreicate any help thank you

M1 Thumb
01-09-2011, 07:52
What time of the year will you be coming?

Johnny Thunder
01-09-2011, 08:07
vt/nh/me in the later summer/fall. maybe august 1 to october 15.

ged123
01-09-2011, 08:07
was thinking of some where between jun and oct

kayak karl
01-09-2011, 09:18
i would do katahdin south. you will get some great views and some nice towns. my favorite with august start.

Lone Wolf
01-09-2011, 09:26
i would do katahdin south. you will get some great views and some nice towns. my favorite with august start.

yeah this is the best

Cookerhiker
01-09-2011, 12:18
I agree with Karl & Wolf's suggestion if you start mid-July to August. That way you can hike as far as your schedule permits - perhaps get to NY for your return flight.

If you're starting in June, I'd begin at North Adams, Massachusetts (MA Rt 2 crossing) and hike north to Katahdin - total 596 miles.

ged123
01-09-2011, 14:45
thanks for the advice guys quite fancy trying for new york to katahdin... think i would prefer to go south to north.....

rickb
01-09-2011, 15:18
was thinking of some where between jun and oct

You might also time your trip to end up in North Adams, Massachusetts for the ALDHA gathering October 7 - 9.

To get an idea about what the event is all about, you might want to check out Weathercarrot's most excellent video on youtube-- be sure to search for then watch all five parts of the series, Later chapters cover the gathering in more depth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33o9dUwzow0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDvkYV3rHzo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DLtMjl0iGM&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpPpgGSRK7I&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN6xXJcedck&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

While I have never been to one of these events, that video sure makes a compelling case for attending.

The 2011 location is for all intents "on the trail" and about 600 miles from Katahdin. I would think it easy to arrange transportation to NY or Boston airports from there. Fall in VT and Western MA is amazingly beautiful.

rickb
01-09-2011, 15:39
Ooops.

I just reread that you are thinking of 2012.

Sorry. The venue changes.

But you could come this year!

ged123
01-09-2011, 16:19
wish i could come this year rickb but got to save up some cash lol

Cookerhiker
01-09-2011, 16:20
thanks for the advice guys quite fancy trying for new york to katahdin... think i would prefer to go south to north.....

9 weeks = 63 days - yeah, I think you can do it. Fly to New York City, take the MetroNorth train to Peekskill and cab to Bear Mountain (or take a bus to Bear Mountain) and start north. You'll need to average 12 1/2 miles per day to reach Katahdin (787 miles). If you want to shave off 44 miles, take the train to Pawling and start your hike on NY Rt. 22.

Assuming you're in decent shape, the first few weeks are less difficult than average - some up and down but I don't recall any single ascents over 1,000' until Schaghticoke in CT more than 50 miles into your hike (from Bear Mountain). Try to minimize zero days in the beginning so you allow plenty of time for the White Mountains and Maine where the terrain will slow you down.

Have a great hike!

10-K
01-09-2011, 16:22
9 weeks = 63 days - yeah, I think you can do it. Fly to New York City, take the MetroNorth train to Peekskill and cab to Bear Mountain (or take a bus to Bear Mountain) and start north. You'll need to average 12 1/2 miles per day to reach Katahdin (787 miles). If you want to shave off 44 miles, take the train to Pawling and start your hike on NY Rt. 22.

Assuming you're in decent shape, the first few weeks are less difficult than average - some up and down but I don't recall any single ascents over 1,000' until Schaghticoke in CT more than 50 miles into your hike (from Bear Mountain). Try to minimize zero days in the beginning so you allow plenty of time for the White Mountains and Maine where the terrain will slow you down.

Have a great hike!

I did this same exact hike (Bear Mt. to Katahdin) this summer in exactly 6 weeks, took 3 zeros and 3 days I hiked less than 10 miles.

It's definitely very doable in 9 weeks.

Pedaling Fool
01-09-2011, 18:59
Good idea. If you do Katahdin, it is best to save it for last.

Blissful
01-09-2011, 19:09
If you have 9 weeks Go CT / Mass border north to Katahdin. Best scenery and you will be in shape before the tougher terrain.

ged123
01-11-2011, 06:30
reading all the replyes i want to pack up and go now lol ...... think i will plan form bear mountain and go north to Katahdin . Aug to sep thanks again for all ur help guys......

rickb
01-11-2011, 08:06
I did this same exact hike (Bear Mt. to Katahdin) this summer in exactly 6 weeks, took 3 zeros and 3 days I hiked less than 10 miles.

It's definitely very doable in 9 weeks.

All depends on the individual of course-- age, experience hiking style, etc.

Don't I recall seeing that you are one of those 49 year old guys who can actually run 50 miles at a stretch on occasion?

:-?

Cookerhiker
01-11-2011, 09:05
reading all the replyes i want to pack up and go now lol ...... think i will plan from bear mountain and go north to Katahdin . Aug to sep thanks again for all ur help guys......

Here's the bus schedule from NYC: http://www.coachusa.com/shortline/ss.details.asp?action=Lookup&c1=New+York&s1=NY&c2=Bear+Mountain&s2=NY&resultId=6151&order=&dayFilter=&scheduleChoice=&sitePageName=%2Fshortline%2Fss%2Etickets%2Easp&cbid=752693952963

Here's the weekday train schedule to Peekskill:
http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/planning/schedules/pdf/HUDMF_10_17_2010d9_27vFINAL.pdf

sixhusbands
01-11-2011, 09:35
So if you are set on going north, then bring along your cold weather gear for the later months. It will get much colder and snowier as you get closer to Maine even in September! and remember that Baxter Park, more particularly access to Mt. Kataydin usually closes around October 15th.

BradMT
01-11-2011, 09:56
New England, hand's down. Specifically VT, NH and Maine.

10-K
01-11-2011, 10:26
At the risk of sounding like a killjoy, I think it's worth mentioning that this is the hardest 600 miles of the entire AT and that New Hampshire is really not a lot of fun* for almost the entire stretch - which is considerable.

There are some great views but between the weather and all those bloody straight up and down rock walls you have to navigate it's a real challenge.

Very seldom did I feel like I was "hiking" in New Hampshire.

* Fun for me that is...

Cookerhiker
01-11-2011, 10:45
At the risk of sounding like a killjoy, I think it's worth mentioning that this is the hardest 600 miles of the entire AT and that New Hampshire is really not a lot of fun* for almost the entire stretch - which is considerable.

There are some great views but between the weather and all those bloody straight up and down rock walls you have to navigate it's a real challenge.

* Fun for me that is...

If you're only considering contiguous 600 mile stretches, that may be true for the overall stretch but most of said difficulty is from Glencliff, NH to Safford Notch, ME (221 miles). Most of the other parts of his 600 miles - NY (east of the Hudson), CT, MA, even parts of the 100 Mile Wilderness - are easier than much of the South, particularly NC between US 64 and Fontana.

ged123
01-12-2011, 22:25
RICKB..... not sure what ur on about soz

kayak karl
01-12-2011, 22:29

* Fun for me that is...i thought the whites were much easier then Georgia!

ged123
01-12-2011, 22:50
thanks Cookerhiker (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=5065) will take a good look at them

peakbagger
01-13-2011, 09:01
I will defend NH and Maine. Yes this section is harder than other sections and unfortunately it tends to line up with with NOBO's who have gotten accustomed to easy walking who are starting to plan on how quickly they can finish the trail. If you want to crank out the maximum number of miles in the minimum time, this is not the section for you. The folks who have a good time in this section, just go with the flow and drop their mileage. I find that Southern VT and the the stretch from the Long Trail to Glencliff a great place to get in shape for the whites and onece you have the whites under your belt, Maine isnt anymore challenging, although you still need to keep you mileage reasonable.

The AMC has used the formula of 2 miles per hour plus 1/2 hour per 1000 feet of vertical for a long time as a guide to how long a hike should take. This is way too conservative for the many sections of the southern AT but is probably a good start for a section hiker in NH and Maine. If you have an AT profile map of the area you will be hiking, you can figure out whats reasonable and realize that you may be doing some 12 mile days. Of course that 12 miles day is going to be in some of the most spectacular hiking on the AT so why rush it.

10-K
01-13-2011, 09:22
I will defend NH and Maine. Yes this section is harder than other sections and unfortunately it tends to line up with with NOBO's who have gotten accustomed to easy walking who are starting to plan on how quickly they can finish the trail. If you want to crank out the maximum number of miles in the minimum time, this is not the section for you. The folks who have a good time in this section, just go with the flow and drop their mileage. I find that Southern VT and the the stretch from the Long Trail to Glencliff a great place to get in shape for the whites and onece you have the whites under your belt, Maine isnt anymore challenging, although you still need to keep you mileage reasonable.

The AMC has used the formula of 2 miles per hour plus 1/2 hour per 1000 feet of vertical for a long time as a guide to how long a hike should take. This is way too conservative for the many sections of the southern AT but is probably a good start for a section hiker in NH and Maine. If you have an AT profile map of the area you will be hiking, you can figure out whats reasonable and realize that you may be doing some 12 mile days. Of course that 12 miles day is going to be in some of the most spectacular hiking on the AT so why rush it.

It's a personal preference thing for sure. Being from the south, when I think about hiking I think about walking through the woods, balds, switchbacks, dirt and (my own bias) southern hospitality.

Hiking in NH, I found a general lack of all those things. I know that probably sounds negative but I don't mean it too. The views were second to none - the day I hiked north out of Franconia Notch was spectacular and everyone I met was nice enough. It just wasn't my cup of tea, that's all.

Too many rocks (NH is way rockier than PA IMO) and too many rocks straight up, rocks straight down, repeat, repeats for me.

Cookerhiker
01-13-2011, 11:03
....The AMC has used the formula of 2 miles per hour plus 1/2 hour per 1000 feet of vertical for a long time as a guide to how long a hike should take. This is way too conservative for the many sections of the southern AT but is probably a good start for a section hiker in NH and Maine......

I didn't look at the latest AMC publication but the GMC's most recent guide for the Long Trail repeats the long-stated ridiculous assertion of an additional 1/2 hour per 1,000 feet for verticle ascent (my emphasis). On my 2007 LT end-to-end, I wondered many times as I descended the likes of the north side of Whiteface Mountain and other steep plunges whether those who write this passage do any hiking? And if the rocks are wet....

....(NH is way rockier than PA IMO) ....

Yes, I've said the same thing on many threads.

peakbagger
01-13-2011, 12:43
Been hiking in the whites and maine for 20 years and the formula seems to average out as conservative. Its just a benchmark for what is always going to be a varying formula. I have noticed over the years that certain trails will be indicated as "non book" time trails. Mahoosuc Notch being one or them. Of course the walk along the ridge on either side of it is pretty fast so it probably averages out eventually.

On the other hand, I agree is totally ridiculus to use the formula in much of the south.

Whatever you do dont use these times as a guide for the whites :D

http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37734&highlight=records

BradMT
01-14-2011, 01:36

Yup. I find the southern states relatively routine and unexciting. Real adventure, for me, starts on the MA/VT border and extends north. But no doubt it's partly what you're acclimated to... I can't stand the heat and humidity of the south...

Cookerhiker
01-14-2011, 08:18
Been hiking in the whites and maine for 20 years and the formula seems to average out as conservative. Its just a benchmark for what is always going to be a varying formula. I have noticed over the years that certain trails will be indicated as "non book" time trails. Mahoosuc Notch being one or them. Of course the walk along the ridge on either side of it is pretty fast so it probably averages out eventually.

On the other hand, I agree is totally ridiculus to use the formula in much of the south.

Whatever you do dont use these times as a guide for the whites :D

http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37734&highlight=records

I don't think I was as clear as I should have been. I'm not disputing the overall conservatism of the guidelines as applies to most of the AT. What I consider "ridiculous" is the GMC's notion that 1,000' of verticle change only slows your pace going up whereas the reality is that for most hikers, it's steep descents that are more likely to slow you down.

10-K
01-14-2011, 08:23
I don't think I was as clear as I should have been. I'm not disputing the overall conservatism of the guidelines as applies to most of the AT. What I consider "ridiculous" is the GMC's notion that 1,000' of verticle change only slows your pace going up whereas the reality is that for most hikers, it's steep descents that are more likely to slow you down.

Those kind of steep ups and downs slow me down to about the same rate I would say but for different reasons.

Going up I slow down because of physical effort. Coming down I slow down because of mental effort.

Migrating Bird
01-14-2011, 08:44
Starting in NY/CT, you will start in a very sofisticated and civilzed section of the AT, as you walk north, through VT, NH and finally ME it will be more and more rural - real New England. The other thing is you will be going with the flow of NOBO's and right in the thick of it if you start around the beginning of August. Depends if you like crowds or not. In any case you will encounter a lot of hikers in the Whites but after school starts in September the number of day hikers will deminish during the week. Be aware of the waves of thru hikers - think crowded shelters and campsites.

DavidNH
01-14-2011, 10:16
Do the New England states and finish atop Mt Katahdin. Best scenery of the entire trail hands down!

BradMT
01-14-2011, 10:28
Do the New England states and finish atop Mt Katahdin. Best scenery of the entire trail hands down!

Ayuh........