PDA

View Full Version : hiking with a falcon

mweinstone
01-09-2011, 09:03
can a trained falcon come on a thruhike and hunt rabitts and such for your freash meat?

Roland
01-09-2011, 09:05
It worked for Sam Gribley.

kayak karl
01-09-2011, 09:06
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APViUODDhT0

must see video.

rickb
01-09-2011, 09:29
can a trained falcon come on a thruhike and hunt rabitts and such for your freash meat?

I think the big problem is you need a needed a separate f-ing license for each state.

Hikes in Rain
01-09-2011, 09:33
It worked for Sam Gribley.

Except he wasn't hiking. He was living in a tree. But it sure did work.

birdog
01-09-2011, 09:37
lol!!!!!!!!!!!!

kayak karl
01-09-2011, 09:47

wabbits?? they hunt deer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJpK3WOi9FM&feature=related

Rocket Jones
01-09-2011, 10:12
wabbits?? they hunt deer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJpK3WOi9FM&feature=related

And Corgis. ;)

mweinstone
01-09-2011, 11:44
be cool to wake up and yell,"frightful!, hunt!" then just make coffie and wait.

scope
01-09-2011, 11:47
I think the big problem is you need a needed a separate f-ing license for each state.

I didn't realize they had falconing licenses?!? :rolleyes:

mweinstone
01-09-2011, 12:08
um, dude? they have licenses to have licenses to have liceses.

worldwide there are approximatly one trillion licences offered.

kayak karl
01-09-2011, 12:18
No person shall use a raptor for hunting without a falconry permit (http://www.scottsbt.com/hunting/huntmisc/licpermits.htm#falcon) and a valid hunting license. No person under 14 years of age may hunt by means of a raptor. Hunting migratory birds with raptors on Sunday is prohibited.
Falconry permits will be issued only to persons who pass a comprehensive examination and who can provide proper facilities for housing a raptor.
Beginning falconers must be sponsored by an experienced falconer.
No person shall possess a firearm while hunting with raptors.
SEE ALSO: Smallgame - Falconry regulations (http://www.scottsbt.com/hunting/huntmisc/smallgameinfo.htm) (species specific).
For additional information, write to Fish and Wildlife of Fish, Game and Wildlife or call 908-735-8793.

Joshuatree
01-09-2011, 19:01
Its an intresting idea and some states allow you to hunt with a falcon or hawk.
I don't think you will find a single person that would train you if they knew you want edto take it on a 5 month hike. Plus it takes almost 10 years to get certified as a master falconer at least in Wisconsin. plus US fish and wildlife has to inspect your mews and test you before they give you a permit. I've thought about trying to get a falconry permit but the time required both for the license and to care for the bird is prohibative at this point in life .

Smile
01-09-2011, 20:52
um, dude? they have licenses to have licenses to have liceses.

worldwide there are approximatly one trillion licences offered.

Careful what you say on here, unless of course you are licensed in Phillapa to state same. :)

Spokes
01-09-2011, 21:20
(Fade in shot of falcon inside an AT Shelter)

Announcer: A falcon stands ever vigilant protecting its master from the dreaded shelter mouse............

Erin
01-09-2011, 21:28
It sucks for the hiker bringing his or her kitten.....

Roland
01-09-2011, 21:31
It sucks for the hiker bringing his or her kitten.....

Chinese food on the Trail. :eek:

Megapixel
01-09-2011, 21:52
i thought this said hiking with a "felon". Pretty interesting thread nonetheless.;)

Spokes
01-09-2011, 21:56
Can falcons be trained to fetch bacon?

kayak karl
01-09-2011, 22:00
Can falcons be trained to fetch bacon?
yes......................................

pistol p
01-09-2011, 22:49
yes......................................

Then I need a falcon. As long as the little bastard doesn't EAT my bacon.

scope
01-09-2011, 23:00
Yes, indeed, and then I could take the trail name... Mister Falcon! Conan would like that.

Don H
01-09-2011, 23:21
A new type of hiking, Aerial Blazing

Spokes
01-10-2011, 10:07
A new type of hiking, Aerial Blazing

.............and I'd still manage to get lost!

mweinstone
01-10-2011, 21:33
my falcone would have his own falcone.

mweinstone
01-10-2011, 21:44
my falcon would send his falcon on lesser erands. small jobs like a drink of water or to scratch my back. my main falcone, or workhorse falcon would have more of a butler position. as aposed to a common cabin falcon or even a falcon wenchmaide. his jobs would include aranging shuttles and acompanieing me to social gatherings.my falcons would never hunt. they would gather fruits and forrest veggies only. this would be to my advantage due to the problems acociated with gutting ,roasting and eating a rabbit while millitant vegen and hysterical vegetarian and violent macrobiotic folks freak out. my falcon will offer his gathered fruits to the visiting vegan representitives and win them over with aww aint he sweet and oh what a beautiful creature,....then id give my falcons the secret comand. witch is scilent and stelthy and only they watch for it,...and they would quietly sneak off and do my other biddings..........lmao.

scope
01-10-2011, 23:01
yippee ky yay Mister Falcon

McPick
01-11-2011, 11:15

Dang... I had no idea. This after hiking the entire trail with an Osprey!

Phew!

Maple_Sky
01-11-2011, 11:52
my falcon would send his falcon on lesser erands. small jobs like a drink of water or to scratch my back. my main falcone, or workhorse falcon would have more of a butler position. as aposed to a common cabin falcon or even a falcon wenchmaide. his jobs would include aranging shuttles and acompanieing me to social gatherings.my falcons would never hunt. they would gather fruits and forrest veggies only. this would be to my advantage due to the problems acociated with gutting ,roasting and eating a rabbit while millitant vegen and hysterical vegetarian and violent macrobiotic folks freak out. my falcon will offer his gathered fruits to the visiting vegan representitives and win them over with aww aint he sweet and oh what a beautiful creature,....then id give my falcons the secret comand. witch is scilent and stelthy and only they watch for it,...and they would quietly sneak off and do my other biddings..........lmao.

I just laughed so hard I cried. If I had a falcon, I think she'd have more of a governess role, and her falcon would be a wenchmaide.

v5planet
01-11-2011, 12:16
Um, I don't know if you can pull this off... but I imagine falcon-gathered rabbit cooked into a stew with some ramen and freshly gathered ramps would go very well with some sassafras tea.