PDA

View Full Version : Thru-Hikers Companion

njgramm
01-09-2011, 18:12
I was planning my thru-hike for 2010. However Couldn't get all my gear but I did by the Companion. Got my gear together and am planning on going this year. Just wanting opinions on whether it is really worth buying the 2011 copy when money is a consideration. My thoughts are the basic general info will do just fine.

HiKen2011
01-09-2011, 18:14
I was planning my thru-hike for 2010. However Couldn't get all my gear but I did by the Companion. Got my gear together and am planning on going this year. Just wanting opinions on whether it is really worth buying the 2011 copy when money is a consideration. My thoughts are the basic general info will do just fine.

You're probably right, there may be a few updates for 2011 from what I understand though.

Luddite
01-09-2011, 18:17
A lot of things change from year to year so you might wanna get this year's. AWOL's guide merged with The Thru Hiker's guide so it should be a pretty good one.

http://www.shop.theatguide.com/The-AT-Guide-2011-Northbound-ATGNB2011.htm

njgramm
01-09-2011, 18:26
So from what you two are saying. I would be fine but it would be helpful to spend the $20 and just get the new one.

HiKen2011
01-09-2011, 18:28
So from what you two are saying. I would be fine but it would be helpful to spend the $20 and just get the new one.

Yeh,,,,,,,,,,,,:sun

njgramm
01-09-2011, 18:39
thanks for the help.

Blissful
01-09-2011, 19:12
Probably ok with the 2010 copy but there could be a few errors

Roland
01-09-2011, 19:28
There's no one better than Sly to answer this question.

Consider your purchase a $15 donation to the ATC. It's a small token of appreciation for your 6 month holiday.

Sly
01-09-2011, 19:42
There's no one better than Sly to answer this question.

Consider your purchase a $15 donation to the ATC. It's a small token of appreciation for your 6 month holiday.

Thanks Roland.

I can attest from 2010 to 2011 there were literally hundreds of changes. Many small mistakes were corrected, but mostly changes in service providers, openings, closings, prices, hours etc.

The new guide was also trimmed 8 pages to help lighten it up but many divide it according to section where the data tables start anyway.

After making sure any mail drop addresses etc are correct leave your old guide with any trail support and carry the new one, designed to fit in quart size ziplock freezer bag.

The non-ATC member prices is $14.95

https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=678&compid=1

Members can get it for $11.95

Fog Horn
01-09-2011, 19:59
Anyone know if they're going to change the oval decal listing the miles, now that the trail is officially longer?

Sly
01-09-2011, 20:42
Anyone know if they're going to change the oval decal listing the miles, now that the trail is officially longer?

Those stickers have to be a loss leader since the trail changes mileage every couple years.

I wonder how many miles was listed on the 1st year the stickers were sold?

Luddite
01-09-2011, 20:46

They should just say "MORE THAN 2000 MILES".

10-K
01-09-2011, 21:01
They should just say "MORE THAN 2000 MILES".

How about 2181 miles and growing?

Rain Man
01-09-2011, 21:10
I just can't imagine $15 being a make-or-break decision for a thru-hike.

But I can imagine a good up-to-date guide saving you money, miles, and aggravation for all those months on the trail. It'd be a case of penny-wise and pound-foolish not to take a current edition, IMHO.

Rain:sunMan

Cookerhiker
01-09-2011, 21:26

Those stickers have to be a loss leader since the trail changes mileage every couple years.

That's a dilemma for us section hikers so I'm keeping my "2,175."

My spreadsheet total from all the years of section hiking amounts to 2,158.

Chillfactor
01-11-2011, 13:45
If you google AT Companion, there is a page where you can download the Companion for free. That's what I used last year with the data entered into an Excel spreadsheet to minimize paper. The site offers updates.
http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

Newb
01-12-2011, 13:58

Well, in the very beginning, a few hopeful hikers had decals that read: "0"

hehehe.:banana

Sly
01-12-2011, 14:06
If you google AT Companion, there is a page where you can download the Companion for free. That's what I used last year with the data entered into an Excel spreadsheet to minimize paper. The site offers updates.
http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

You'll want to note, this is last years edition and as I stated earlier has had many updates and corrections. While good for planning, the cost, time, effort, print and ink may not be worth printing the entire guide, but is better suited for a few pages of a section hike.

You should also note, all profits from buying the hard copy Companion go back to the ATC and the Trail.

skooch
01-12-2011, 21:04
how do any of you feel about AWOL's guide? I'm looking for something simple. miles to next shelter from the last shelter, how many days to resupply from the last resupply. favorite hostles and towns. basically the non anal guide to the AT. I'd like to just skooch along and live in the moment.

Sly
01-12-2011, 21:25
how do any of you feel about AWOL's guide? I'm looking for something simple. miles to next shelter from the last shelter, how many days to resupply from the last resupply. favorite hostles and towns. basically the non anal guide to the AT. I'd like to just skooch along and live in the moment.

A lot of people seem to like AWOL's guide, especially since it has elevation profiles. However, to be honest, I'm not sure I like the way it reads as you're constantly turning the book as it's written both vertically and horizontally.

Since it has the data pages in front of a section, and the description directly behind, I don't know what could be easier to read than the Companion.

Lone Wolf
01-12-2011, 21:27
A lot of people seem to like AWOL's guide, especially since it has elevation profiles. However, to be honest, I'm not sure I like the way it reads as you're constantly turning the book as it's written both vertically and horizontally.

Since it has the data pages in front of a section, and the description directly behind, I don't know what could be easier to read than the Companion.

well of course. you're the the editor of the companion. it's your job to get folks to buy it

balloonatic
01-12-2011, 21:30
i have question, so i see that the book is written for someone going south to north, how hard is it to use for south to north?

Sly
01-12-2011, 21:30
well of course. you're the the editor of the companion. it's your job to get folks to buy it

Yes, that's true, but I'm only the volunteer editor, it's not like I make any money off the book. It's been an ATC publication for 18 years.

balloonatic
01-12-2011, 21:32
sorry tired i ment i see it is written north to south how hard is it to use south to north? thanks

Sly
01-12-2011, 21:36
i have question, so i see that the book is written for someone going south to north, how hard is it to use for south to north?

You mean north to south?

Since it doesn't describe trail navigation like a real guidebook, it's not that hard, it does have mileage from both Springer and Katahdin

The AT Guide does have a southbound version

Awol2003
01-12-2011, 22:04
Thanks for mentioning the ATG southbound version, Sly.

The A.T. Guide has different pages for landmarks and for town information, as does the Companion. The text on data pages is oriented differently than than the text on the town pages. You'll find that you are nearly always looking at one section or the other, not flipping back and forth.

There are substantial differences between the guides, but this thread is about The Companion. If you'd like info on what the ATG has to offer, please see my website, email me. Or see one at an outfitter near the trail. Most should have them by the end of the month.

skooch
01-13-2011, 13:00
AWOL loved your book and your commitment to the trail so I decided to order the unbound SOBO last night. I guess I'll have to read them all as with all things preferences vary. thxs

skooch
01-13-2011, 13:03
oops meant to say NOBO

jimplatz
02-19-2011, 10:37
I downloaded the Companion to my Droid. In the text, the numbers (telephone numbers and mileage for example) are blurred out, looks like someone crossed them out with a gray highliter. I suspect it might be that the Droid app does not have the correct font? Anyone else have this problem? There is nothing wrong with the download, it works fine on my computer.

jimplatz
02-19-2011, 11:21
FYI solved the problem:

I was using OfficeSuite to view the pdf file. Now I am using Adobe Reader and it works fine.