PDA

View Full Version : Watch for AT Thru, any opinions?

SurferNerd
01-09-2011, 19:41
I'm seeking opinions on a good watch for the AT. I don't need a big fancy Rolex, nor a cereal box special. I want something basic, simple, long battery life, backlit. I hear bad bad things about Suunto, and I've heard no good things about the Timex WS4. So I'm not even getting a smart watch. I'm going old school. The watch I'm looking at is a Casio with moon phase, sunrise/sunset times which could be useful on the trail. A big + is the vibrating alarm to wake you up and not the entire shelter, something that everyone can appreciate. What do you all think?

Casio Watch on Amazon (http://amzn.com/B00134OK08)

Mags
01-09-2011, 19:58
I have a Timex Indiglo.

It tells the time, has the date. Does nothing else...and it is still running 5+ yrs after I bought it.

Fog Horn
01-09-2011, 20:02
If you're hiking in cold temps, consider getting an analog watch. The display might fail in a digital watch in cold temps. I've never seen it happen, but I was reading up on watches and that was listed for a few of them.

johnnyblisters
01-09-2011, 20:13
I only deal with cheap watches. My $15 Armitron works just fine.

Phreak
01-09-2011, 20:16
I use the HighGear Altitech II. Not exactly a watch but has the time, temp, altimeter, barometer and compass. Clips on my pack like a carabiner.

Bearpaw
01-09-2011, 20:20
If you're hiking in cold temps, consider getting an analog watch. The display might fail in a digital watch in cold temps. I've never seen it happen, but I was reading up on watches and that was listed for a few of them.

I did two winter deployments to Norway, 300 miles north of the Arctic Circle with a Timex Ironman. We had lots of issues with batteries getting too cold in the sub-zero conditions. But never our watches. The trick. Just wear them. Your 98.6 degree metabolism will keep them working.

I've used Timex Ironman or Expedition watches regularly for the last 17 years. I guess I'm on my fifth in that time. They've worked fine in all the different world regions I've worked and trekked in, including my thru-hike.

Slo-go'en
01-09-2011, 20:21
I go with disposable $5 watches. I belive its time for me to get a new one.

swjohnsey
01-09-2011, 20:23
Something cheap and waterproof. Timex Ironman Triathalon, waterproof to 200m, Velcro band. backlit, long battery life.

Luddite
01-09-2011, 20:37
I got one of the Casio Altimeter watches on ebay for about 45 bucks. Its not a Pathfinder, but it works.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Casio-SGW300H-1AV-Sport-Altimeter-Resin-Watch-SGW300H-/390270826759?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item5addf43907#ht_1468wt_698

swamp dawg
01-09-2011, 21:17
I have a Casio Pathfinder which has lots of features plus solar power. Casio has lots of watches at different price points and features but the Pathfinder has been a great hiking watch. Life is good on the trail...swamp dawg

Rocketman
01-09-2011, 22:11
I've worn a HighGear Summit altimeter, barometer, chronograph, ...... gizmo since 2005 on a daily basis, including a couple of summers hiking.

The altimeter/barometer combination is good for figuring out how much higher that darned mountain is going to be, but only if you take care to reset the altimeter at least once a day at points of known elevation. Much of the time, the map isn't all that useful on the AT because you rarely get to see the horizon and the local mountain peaks. There are too many trees to get good broad views at most locations.

Companion hikers have often been grateful to get the accurate information on just how much higher the summit really is.

The weather indicator is only modestly useful, no matter if you are in the mountains or tour hometown. But knowing if the barometer is rising or falling is useful if you copy a page or so on short term weather local prediction from a meteorological textbook or book. With the barometer data and the wind directions and the sky conditions, you can do fairly well on weather estimation.

The watch is far lighter than a good weather radio.

kayak karl
01-09-2011, 22:18
I'm seeking opinions on a good watch for the AT. I don't need a big fancy Rolex, nor a cereal box special. I want something basic, simple, long battery life, backlit. I hear bad bad things about Suunto, and I've heard no good things about the Timex WS4. So I'm not even getting a smart watch. I'm going old school. The watch I'm looking at is a Casio with moon phase, sunrise/sunset times which could be useful on the trail. A big + is the vibrating alarm to wake you up and not the entire shelter, something that everyone can appreciate. What do you all think?

Casio Watch on Amazon (http://amzn.com/B00134OK08)
very interesting thread title. didn't know what it was about, but now i know :) and i don't give a crap LOL. wear what you want. you got to carry it.

mweinstone
01-09-2011, 22:28
never wore a watch in my life. till i won this at traildays in the backpacker magazine giveaway.it weirdest function? telling the temprature under water.

Fog Horn
01-09-2011, 22:35
I did two winter deployments to Norway, 300 miles north of the Arctic Circle with a Timex Ironman. We had lots of issues with batteries getting too cold in the sub-zero conditions. But never our watches. The trick. Just wear them. Your 98.6 degree metabolism will keep them working.

This is how its been for me as well, I just figured it would be worth bringing up since so many people brought it up on reviews. I think they may have clipped it to their pack or something. I rarely wear a watch because I use my cell as my time piece, but whenever I cannot do that, I wear a watch. My watch has never failed due to cold batteries either.

I can tell you that I'll avoid a cheap plastic band at all costs. While it wouldn't hurt in the winter, hot temps and plastic never get along with my wrist.

SurferNerd
01-09-2011, 22:38
never wore a watch in my life. till i won this at traildays in the backpacker magazine giveaway.it weirdest function? telling the temprature under water.

That would be the Timex WS4 I hear horrible things about. What's your opinion of it? Accuracy of the altimeter, barometer, temp, compass. Ease of use?

Bearpaw
01-09-2011, 23:16
This is how its been for me as well, I just figured it would be worth bringing up since so many people brought it up on reviews. I think they may have clipped it to their pack or something. I rarely wear a watch because I use my cell as my time piece, but whenever I cannot do that, I wear a watch. My watch has never failed due to cold batteries either.

I can tell you that I'll avoid a cheap plastic band at all costs. While it wouldn't hurt in the winter, hot temps and plastic never get along with my wrist.

The plastic band and the little metal pieces that hold them on were the weak points on my two earliest Ironman watches. I'm MUCH happier with the fabric "fastwrap" versions that have been out for about a decade now. The velcro may weaken a bit when the salt from my sweat grunges it up, but then I go swimming with the watch on and clean it up again.

10-K
01-09-2011, 23:32

I've used Timex Ironman or Expedition watches regularly for the last 17 years. I guess I'm on my fifth in that time. They've worked fine in all the different world regions I've worked and trekked in, including my thru-hike.

Timex Ironman is the only watch I've worn for more than a decade....

double d
01-09-2011, 23:35
Gotta agree, Timex Ironman is the only watch to buy. Go to your local outdoor store and/or REI (as they have a real nice selection of them).

TheChop
01-09-2011, 23:47
I got a five dollar woman's timex that I wear on the sternum strap of my backpack.

fiddlehead
01-10-2011, 00:17
Don't know what you heard bad about Suunto.
Mines still going strong and it's done 5 thru-hikes already, plus a wore it in hot and humid Thailand for 2 years.
This year the black outer band fell off but it's still waterproof and everything still works on it.
I don't think there's many watches out there that would've taken the beating that this watch has taken.
My wife bought me a new watch this year (smaller) and I left the old Suunto back in PA for next time i do another thru-hike.

sonic
01-10-2011, 12:36
I have a Timex Indiglo.

It tells the time, has the date. Does nothing else...and it is still running 5+ yrs after I bought it.
I've used one for years also. Never had any problems, except having to get a new wristband. Never saw the need for an alarm while hiking.

Yukon
01-10-2011, 12:44
Don't know what you heard bad about Suunto.
Mines still going strong and it's done 5 thru-hikes already, plus a wore it in hot and humid Thailand for 2 years.
This year the black outer band fell off but it's still waterproof and everything still works on it.
I don't think there's many watches out there that would've taken the beating that this watch has taken.
My wife bought me a new watch this year (smaller) and I left the old Suunto back in PA for next time i do another thru-hike.

I was wondering where he heard bad things about Suunto as well. My Suunto X-Lander is bombproof, I love it!

mikecordes
01-10-2011, 12:54
Have used Suunto vector since 2005...I just got a new one for Christmas..Great for helping you locate where you are using the altimeter function..It only takes a second to zero it in at known elevations..

Jack Tarlin
01-10-2011, 13:34
I wear a Timex rip-off piece of junk cuz I know that sooner or later, it's gonna go underwater, get frozen, get smashed on a rock, etc. and when this happens, I'm only out about 16 bucks.

Oh, and watches are also among the most frequently lost items on the Trail, too.

Were I to pick something better: I'd want it to glow in the dark and it might be nice if it had an alarm in case I wanted to get up really early or something. But I don't need to know what time it is in Khartoum, my maps and guidebooks tell me my elevation; I don't need a stopwatch.

Pretty much, all I need from a watch while hiking is knowing what time it is at the moment, or how long my dinner's been boiling. For this, I don't need to spend a lot of money on something fancy.

Luddite
01-10-2011, 14:32

Thats one of those Timex watches that records your altitude profile, isn't it? I wanted that watch but its a little too expensive for me

daddytwosticks
01-10-2011, 16:31
Can't wear a wristwatch while hiking. The band gets to sweaty and interferes w/my hiking pole straps. Have an old Timex Indiglo watch body w/attached carabineer hanging from my pack's sternum strap. :)

Odd Man Out
01-10-2011, 17:22
I camped with the Timex Indiglow before too. It was nice because the light from the watch is bright enough to help your find something in your tent at night, if necessary.

Scooby99
01-10-2011, 17:57
I wear whatever Campmor has on sale, currently that's a Timex Marathon, no need to spend more than 10-15 bucks.

SurferNerd
01-10-2011, 20:34
For those asking about where I got my Suunto info, REI customer reviews, backpacker.com, and Amazon.

Marta
01-12-2011, 08:17
Another vote for the Timex Ironman. Love the nylon strap with Velcro fastener. Each watch generally lasts me about five years.

BJStuart
01-12-2011, 12:32
I'm pretty hard on my watches & I've had good luck with Casio G-Shocks or Baby-Gs.