PDA

View Full Version : down to 2 tent choices

Kernel
01-09-2011, 21:41
I have come down to 2 choices for tent, based on price-weight-dimensions and how often I will use it (weekend hikes). Both are 2 people tents, as I will likely hike with my son.

Anyone had any good-bad experiences with the Eureka Apex 2, or the LL Bean Microlight 2 places ?

Thank you,

Kernel

Egads
01-09-2011, 21:59
Some of the most popular 2 man tents are the REI Quarter Dome T2 & MSR Hubba Hubba tents. There is a reason for that.

darkage
01-09-2011, 22:06
Apex is a packable boulder, well over 5 lbs ... and i'm not a fan of eureka, cheap ... might be good enough for you and your son for weekends ... the microlight 2 is 3 lbs 12 ounces ... better vestibule storage and better for overall backpacking ... I would check out spadout.com for tents in your price range ... you could get better for the same price ....

SweetAss03
01-09-2011, 22:10
Right on to the above post. I don't have either the REI or the MSR but either of the two make high marks year after year. I just got a Six Moons Lunar Duo, very stoked about getting a chance to set it up, but it might be over you price requirements.

SMSP
01-09-2011, 22:34
You have chosen two different type of tents.

One is freestanding, Apex, a traditional dome shap tent.

The other is non-freestanding, Microlight 2. These means (based on looking at the pics on LL Bean) that at least 4 tent stakes will be required to set-up just the tent and 2 additional tent stakes for the rain fly.

The Microlight looks very similar to the ALPS Mountaineering Mystique, which I own the 1 person version. And the layout is pretty much the same. So, thats a total of 6 tent stakes just set-up the Microlight even in perfect weather.

Free standing tents tend to weigh more than non-free standing tents. Of course, ideally, as we all know, when setting up our tents, we stake them out at a minimum and maybe guy line them out if needed. But, in a pinch, the dome can be set-up quicker and w/o any tent stakes. Different options, different preferences and lots of choices.

Anyway, just an observation.

scope
01-09-2011, 22:36
I've got the Apex, had it for a long while - mine is the blue Galyans version, but its the same thing. No experience with the LLBean tent, but I'm sure its of similar quality. I'm sure you'll stay dry with either. If the choice is truly between these two, then you have two clear choices: one is with weight, and the other is with usable space. The LLBean is listed at about 2 lbs lighter - that's a lot for one person, but probably not between the two of you. The Apex has two big doors with decent vestibule coverage on each side, AND it has more floor space due to the Apex being a rectangle and the Microlight being tapered. My guess is that you'll find the extra space of the Apex worth it, especially since you can probably find it at a lower price. If you were really concerned with weight, then I do think there are better options you could consider, although more expensive of course.

scope
01-09-2011, 22:44
p.s. the Apex is a breeze to setup and extremely easy to move around to find the right spot if nothing is in it. I rarely stake it except for the rainfly vestibule sides which must be staked. Only negative for me was that I spent two extremely warm nights in it - at the time, I was afraid to sleep with the doors open - and have since gone to a hammock to camp in.

mister krabs
01-10-2011, 00:46
When I tent with my son, I like to have two doors and two vestibules. I'm not a fan of doghouse doors. The alps mystique 2 was mentioned, they have side entries with vestibules. So does the alps zephyr 2 for a freestanding option. As mentioned, check spadout and google shopping for pricing. I like my zephyr 3 a lot.

earlyriser26
01-10-2011, 06:28
If you are going for "weekend" go with a free standing tent. Also, don't let any of the "wow it weighs over 5 lbs!" group bother you either. You are not a uber light thru hiker. Go with comfort and easy set up. REI has a good selection of tents. Even a basic Eureka tent, while "cheap", could be fine for your needs. I hiked with a Eureka tent for 10 years and it was one of my favorites.

Jayboflavin04
01-10-2011, 08:15
Kernel you dont look old enough to have a boy to much older than mine. My boy is 10 y/o and we use a Henry shire Tarptent Cloudburst. So far it has proved to be very realiable. And when hiking with kids consider your own comfort also the extra food and what not will add up quickly. My boy carries all his own gear, but I am still stuck with the tent. Enjoy your time with your son. If you want any recommendations on gear for kids...i am also up for recommendations.

Kernel
01-10-2011, 08:45
Very many thanks to all for your kind comments, it now seems that I have more than 2 options after all !!
Jay, thanks, my son is 13 and I'll get back to you later on that kind advice offer.

heron2000
01-10-2011, 09:24
this site has some nice prices on the Eureka tent
http://compare.ebay.com/like/270687966055?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Bearbag
01-13-2011, 12:45
If you are going for "weekend" go with a free standing tent. Also, don't let any of the "wow it weighs over 5 lbs!" group bother you either. You are not a uber light thru hiker. Go with comfort and easy set up. REI has a good selection of tents. Even a basic Eureka tent, while "cheap", could be fine for your needs. I hiked with a Eureka tent for 10 years and it was one of my favorites.

mykl
01-13-2011, 13:00
I like Eureka tents, I have a few and never had a problem with them. I have one that is over 20 years old, has a lot of use on it, and is in perfect working condition.
The Eureka Scenic Pass 2XT is very similar to the A[ex, but with aluminum poles (and a better color).
You can get one for a hundred bucks or so.
http://www.trailspace.com/gear/eureka/scenic-pass-2xt/