PDA

View Full Version : panning to hike

mweinstone
01-09-2011, 22:58
im looking for partners who want to pan for gold in an attempt to fund a thruhike. im talking legaly panning on the susquahanna on state land while camping . im talking about useing nothing more than a pan, magnet, tweezers, jar and sweat.im talking about starting with no exsperience and just going for it. ive read about it and want to give it a shot. i was thinking two weeks to start. i was thinking within a few miles of dunncannon. anyone wanna try this? i will be makeing my own pan and takeing whatever food i have and getting a free ride from little one. so my cost will be some extra food and that is all. who thinks they want to do this? anyone?

mweinstone
01-09-2011, 23:02
as for dates, i was hopeing a southbound departure would leave time to pan for gold. and a northbound can be started as late as mid may but would be my second choice. im also bringing construction style yellow rubber boots that fit over my asolos.and waterproof pants and mitts for working in freezing water.

10-K
01-09-2011, 23:38
You could do much better with a catfish farm. Or trapping beavers.

Slo-go'en
01-09-2011, 23:44
You'd do much better in Montana. I remember going to a place called "elbow lake" and drinking gold flake along with the water we dipped out of the lake.

Sublime
01-09-2011, 23:50
or better yet - a catfish farm IN a beaver pond AND the catfish are harvested by trained falcons..
seriously between mattewski's multi-faceted rants and SAMMY GATE 2011 I'm not sure if I am being entertained or robbed..hmmpp..

Wise Old Owl
01-09-2011, 23:56
Gold on the ol' polluted Susquehanna?

Better talk to these guys - they might be able to help...

http://www.paprospector.org/

harryfred
01-10-2011, 00:08
Matty may not be as crazy as he sounds. My knowledge of geology says there is a possibility of gold in PA waters. How ever my knowledge of PA laws says it may not be legal to keep it. I did do some prospecting in CA including panning really a lot of work for a little pay out.

Mags
01-10-2011, 00:59
This would make a kick-ass reality show...

harryfred
01-10-2011, 01:16
This would make a kick-ass reality show...
ROTFLM**O
Yeah the message is too ******* short.

George
01-10-2011, 01:32
I will work in the processing room of matties gold operation, cover myself with grease each day and smuggle out the gold dust that sticks to the grease, I hope this will fund some beer

10-K
01-10-2011, 08:03
I'm telling you, a catfish farm would be much more profitable and less work.

Old Hiker
01-10-2011, 08:34

A WALKING catfish farm!! :sun That way, he could hike while raising the catfish. Plus, they would be right with him whenever he needed to eat. The weight of not carrying food could be offset by a cast iron frying pan and corn meal.

Matt - gold isn't magnetic. Wouldn't a better choice be prospecting at the Crater of Diamonds state park in Arkansas? http://www.craterofdiamondsstatepark.com/

You would only need ONE big find to fund your hike, plus, no freezing water to pan through. http://www.craterofdiamondsstatepark.com/history/famous-finds.aspx

Cookerhiker
01-10-2011, 09:22
If panning doesn't work, perhaps panhandling will.

mweinstone
01-10-2011, 09:47
lot of good jokes here. sammygate! thats gold jerry thats gold! sammygate 2011.lmao.

mweinstone
01-10-2011, 09:51
cookerhiker did you build that joke yourself?

so, no gold? k.lol.

Spokes
01-10-2011, 10:03

Wonder if you grow catfish in a backpack? Seems like all you'd need is a trash compactor liner to hold the water inside.

All that hiking would keep the water aerated. Interesting.........

10-K
01-10-2011, 10:05
Wonder if you grow catfish in a backpack? Seems like all you'd need is a trash compactor liner to hold the water inside.

All that hiking would keep the water aerated. Interesting.........

I'm thinking putting them in a platypus as baby catfish and letting them grow inside it. This way you can use the catfish to filter the water...

Multi-use gear and everything...

mweinstone
01-10-2011, 10:06
alot of your sugestions dont meet the crytearia of a guy with a box of spaggettie and 3 dollars. catfish farms require catfish farms. dont have one.trade me one for a box of spaggeti .
dimond mines are farther away than i can get a free ride to and sustaine myself. yet trail angel mary is an easy mark for free food and couch.
the site wise old owl suggested is a fair one. ive read all of them on the web and contain the sum of mans written gold knowlage. i have boiled it down to being more like sailing a boat than anything else. you are the gold. fluidics moves you places . you are the heavyweight in the neighborhood and you live way down in the bad streets of bedrock. you hide out and evade capture . you embed yourself with the enemy and must be seperated by many different means by any enemy such as man. i am that man. i am a street , you will lay down on the hand of my avenue .gold will surrender to me!hahahahahahah!eeeeeeewwwwwee!
anyway, where was i? oh yeah,...i containe all the spelling mistakes of mankind and am the only hope of overthrowing the supercomputers that are comming. bla bla bla. can we go looking for gold now please? i need one chump. any chumps here tonight?lol. i need one to do all the big stuff like everything. lol.no gold?k.

Spokes
01-10-2011, 10:09
How 'bout a spaghetti farm then? You could grow it in your hair.

10-K
01-10-2011, 10:15
How 'bout a spaghetti farm then? You could grow it in your hair.

Please hold the sauce... :)

Lilred
01-10-2011, 10:18
Please hold the sauce... :)

not to mention the parmesan cheese.......:eek:

mweinstone
01-10-2011, 10:21
was that your first joke?lol.

none of you understand how much spaggetti can toy with the mind. after enough, you begin to eat a whole box each time cause your resistance goes up and up till sauce is almost irellevent and butter and oil is what you really want. but then that dreadfull day comes when the butters gone and its olive oil salt getti for you. and finnaly spagetti with spagetti. the single most dreaded foodgroup. soloinipastarini. also known simply as sologetti in old world huvels and modern squats alike.

right about now i could go for some god panning. whos in?!

Joshuatree
01-10-2011, 10:35
You'd probley do better going to Alaska and panning the beaches of Nome or some of the creeks. I've been temped to give it a try with the price of gold these days at around $1200 to $1400 an ounce.

10-K
01-10-2011, 10:38
I'm in! I holp we get some gold nuggests so we can swtich to raveloli from speggetti.

Plus hole wheat is better for your bowells.

I think we would make a good teem for proespecting and maybe later we can branch out into bevear pelts and make belt buckels from catfish bones too.

If all else fails we can get a job telling fortunes at the carnival. You guess age and weights and I will do the tarot cards.

capiesh?

p.s. I would really like to meet you one day! :)

Grampie
01-10-2011, 10:49
During my 2001 thru stayed at the Times Square motel in Elk Park, NC. I believe the guy that owned the place had a large gold nugget hanging on a chain around his neck and another large nugget on a ring. He claimed that they were found localy. He said through the years he had found quite a bit of local gold.:sun

Spokes
01-10-2011, 11:21
I did a bunch of gold panning in the early 90's. Mostly in creeks near my home. Amazing how much of the stuff you can find. No wonder since Reed Gold Mine (http://www.nchistoricsites.org/reed/reed.htm) is nearby. That's where, in 1799, a boy found a 17 lb. gold nugget. Years later a 28 lb. nugget (http://www.nchistoricsites.org/reed/history.htm) was unearthed!

North Carolina led the country in gold production way before California did.

I even built a small sluice out of heavy gauge aluminum. Used a terry cloth towel as the catch. Got a small glass tube filled with small nuggets somewhere around the house.

mweinstone
01-10-2011, 16:38
just wailed on a giant patch of spagettie. only you can prevent spagetti crimes.
i was waiting for a call about work and also waiting 3 days to poop and the two converged and i missed the call. so you see the damage spaggetti can reek on the world. why? why do we continue to produce such a thing? and ramman! what the hecks its excuse for existing? what evolutionary advantage can ramman possibly have? its like the donkey of spagettis bred with mules. i tells ya ya cant get a break!lol.

last year over 28374664 matthewskis were saved from certian spagetti death by gold panning.almost a million matthewskis a month.

this message paid for by friends of matthewskis (FOM)

mweinstone
01-10-2011, 16:53
i wouldnt build a sluce. i wanna be a pan guy. just me, and pan. im gettin one that i can wear as a sun hat. with two holes for a strap and light plastic. maby a lime green. panning gold aint rocket science. its the ability to modle flood stage water in a body and predict the locations of deposited heavy metals. its science and a feel. defenitly exsperience in the further places is also huge. ive been pokein around long enough to know how to poke around.ive done the reading and even could site chapter and verse about the reed family you just mentioned. but finding gold is either a fun hobbie or a nessesity. its not wrong either way. it is not gambeling in any way different from investments of time and labor and moneys in any other high risk venture for profits.oops! there goes my alarm. time for my gold feaver pill.lol.

sbhikes
01-10-2011, 17:32
What I don't get is why do you want to work so darn hard? I mean you want to pan for gold which will take like FOREVER with old-fashioned gold panning techniques, or you want to move all the rocks in the Pennsylvania section or whatever other crazy, back-breaking ideas you keep having. But you don't want to flip some burgers or stand out in front of home depot looking for day labor for a couple of months? What's the deal here?

10-K
01-10-2011, 17:36
Have you thought about training some monkeys to help? They are cheap labor (just bananas) and will not steal your gold product.

Spokes
01-10-2011, 18:15
i wouldnt build a sluce. i wanna be a pan guy. just me, and pan. ........

I think you'd look cool lugging a big ol' sluice down the trail. It'd be a real conversation piece.

BTW, get a Garrett gold pan. They're the absolute best! Watch how to use it HERE (http://www.garrett.com/media/goldpanning_instr/goldpanning_instr.html).

Learning to read the black sand is the trick.

mweinstone
01-10-2011, 20:26
sbhikes asked a question. heres the answer. when you have 3 garnishments and 4 liens against you and own nothing and am declared uncollectable and a hardship case with the different city, state and federal tax folks, you are constantly being made to give financial statements. to work under the table gets you jail in these situations. also, with 90% taken from any earned income reported, the only way to get a job and keep enough to live is to ask for a waver of garneshment. this is done when you actually have a job. not before. so any employer would be waiting awile for you to be legal and then would have to sign garneshment papers and such. employers where i live cut corners, hire illegals and dont have an extra minute to waste with anyone in my situation. the truth of the matter that is hardest to convince folks such as yourself is, is that it is entirely possible to dig a hole you cant get out of easily.

mweinstone
01-10-2011, 20:34
to even open a bank account is to invite lien holders to present the bank with negetive drafts witch keep your account in the red untill paid in full. to cash checks at a check cashing place would be legal only if you sent the portion of the moneys owed to garneshments in . most folks are running around beliveing they can only take 10%. others belive they must allow someone to eat and be housed. actually folks, thats all information you can find on a thousand websites. but its not the case . their are three types of repayment programs. i fit none. they all require being current and fitting into a 4 year payoff timeframe. offes in compromise are another misunderstood fidusherary vehical. pennies on the dollar folks yell at me all day long. no. to apply for an offer in compromise one must be current on all tax for the last year worked, and once an offer has been made, if accepted, must be paid in full at that time. so,....i hope and pray this discussion has helped in some way.

kayak karl
01-10-2011, 20:34
i got the kayaks if you got the time :) i also have all the maps for that river.

mweinstone
01-10-2011, 20:37
my fate is to be a baltimore jack. let it go man.

sbhikes
01-10-2011, 23:24
Sounds like you have to play by some kind of Byzantine, cruel rules to one day hope to rejoin the working stiffs of the "civilized" world who are all so brain-dead they can't even tell they are just debt slaves. Or you can just say forget it and go completely under the table. Drop out. Get some worthless land in the desert, build your own Rancho Costa Nada (http://www.ranchocostanada.itgo.com/) and just forget about a world that would rather enslave you every step of the way, from college which leaves you so far in debt you'll have to work 20 years to pay it off, to baby-making time when all your money goes to all the silly gadgets people think they have to have when they have kids, to prime career time when all your money goes to all the shiny gadgets you think you have to have to show how successful you are, to when you are old and all your money goes for erection and blood pressure pills.

(Says the working slave who chafes at the pointlessness of it all all day long.)

HiKen2011
01-10-2011, 23:28
Sounds like you have to play by some kind of Byzantine, cruel rules to one day hope to rejoin the working stiffs of the "civilized" world who are all so brain-dead they can't even tell they are just debt slaves. Or you can just say forget it and go completely under the table. Drop out. Get some worthless land in the desert, build your own Rancho Costa Nada (http://www.ranchocostanada.itgo.com/) and just forget about a world that would rather enslave you every step of the way, from college which leaves you so far in debt you'll have to work 20 years to pay it off, to baby-making time when all your money goes to all the silly gadgets people think they have to have when they have kids, to prime career time when all your money goes to all the shiny gadgets you think you have to have to show how successful you are, to when you are old and all your money goes for erection and blood pressure pills.

(Says the working slave who chafes at the pointlessness of it all all day long.)

Well said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

mweinstone
01-10-2011, 23:50
but i am a workaholic. i just cant live without workahol.and my mission is to free my brother and sister slaves by burowing from within. only by learning the rulers secrets can we overthrow them and take back our world.but your right.is is actually legaly impossible for me to ever support myself again. unless my art were to sell for millions. then i would be fine.
my fate is to pan.to sell art on the streets. to mooch from trail angel mary. and to plat on bag o tricks heartstrings the sweet songs of unrequainted baconlove.

kayak karl
01-11-2011, 00:06
but i am a workaholic. i just cant live without workahol.and my mission is to free my brother and sister slaves by burowing from within. only by learning the rulers secrets can we overthrow them and take back our world.but your right.is is actually legaly impossible for me to ever support myself again. unless my art were to sell for millions. then i would be fine.
my fate is to pan.to sell art on the streets. to mooch from trail angel mary. and to plat on bag o tricks heartstrings the sweet songs of unrequainted baconlove.
in 2 weeks ill meet you at the cloth pin for breakfast. our mutual friend said its ok,. LOL

mweinstone
01-11-2011, 00:15
by cloth pin you mean the clothespin? and by breakfast you mean steak sandwiches? and by mutual friend you mean wonder? and by ok you mean matthewski wont refuse ?

agreed.but not the clothespin, my apt. and not breakfast, lunch. and not mutual friend, best. and not ok,....good.

see you then.

waywardfool
01-11-2011, 10:08
to even open a bank account is to invite lien holders to present the bank with negetive drafts witch keep your account in the red untill paid in full. to cash checks at a check cashing place would be legal only if you sent the portion of the moneys owed to garneshments in . most folks are running around beliveing they can only take 10%. others belive they must allow someone to eat and be housed. actually folks, thats all information you can find on a thousand websites. but its not the case . their are three types of repayment programs. i fit none. they all require being current and fitting into a 4 year payoff timeframe. offes in compromise are another misunderstood fidusherary vehical. pennies on the dollar folks yell at me all day long. no. to apply for an offer in compromise one must be current on all tax for the last year worked, and once an offer has been made, if accepted, must be paid in full at that time. so,....i hope and pray this discussion has helped in some way.

Don't know your situation...but a lot of people are not aware that taxes (especially collected and unpaid sales tax) are among the few things that can 'survive' bankruptcy, and continue to follow you. It's hard to get out of paying the government what they want.