PDA

View Full Version : Questions...don't send me over to "other" forum!

SurferNerd
01-10-2011, 00:10
So I'm going to open a can of worms. I don't feel like joining another forum, I like WhiteBlaze. Up until hammocks, it's been my one stop shop for hiking forums. I have a question. I'm just starting to hammock, I'm switching over from tarptents. I'm looking into buying a Hennessy Hammock Ultralight Bakpacker, then the thermal under kit, and the thermal overkit, as well as snake skins. Does anyone think this is a reasonable setup for starting a thru in late March, OR is there a lighter alternative. Cost IS NOT an issue.

MedicineMan
01-10-2011, 00:35
Cost not an issue? hmmmm.....money tree in the backyard eh....
If money is a non-issue then apply that to your choice of hammocks and get a
Warbonnet Blackbird, if not you will eventually.
Starting in March...get a Warbonnet Winter Mamba while you're there and a three season at the same time. You can ship the Winter one home after the Smokies and begin using the 3 season model. The mambas are top quilts and they are stellar.
Since you are new to hammocking? I'd stick with a full length or at least a 3/4s underquilt and for one of those I'd go with a Hammockgear Winter Incubator, and while ordering get their 3 season Incubator and switch it out when you ship the Winter Mamba home....with these quilts you are good to 5F.
Tarp is next....get a OES Deluxe or Ultra, the Deluxe is plenty big enough for the Blackbird but the Ultra will give you plenty of room underneath for 4 people to cook under (hammock out of the way of course). Again since money is no object, when you order the tarp get Brian to put in the pockets for the pole-mod, then order the pole you need (carbon fiber, 2.5 ounces) from Fibraplex.
A lot of us bring the tarp all the way to the ground tent-like, blocks wind but a tarp is open on the ends right? Not all tarps are open anymore...a lot of us use tarps with doors so it can not only be brought all the way to the ground but with doors closed you get that +10F like you do in a tent, of course doors add weight but you ordered your tarp in spinnUL and that offset the weight of the doors somewhat.
Suspension? Forget the straps and the Hennessey knot....whoopie slings are the current state of the art for connecting the hammock to the tree huggers (tree huggers prevent damage to the tree from constriction)....
Another thing to strongly think about after you get past the Smokies is a top quilt that can also be a camp jacket. JRB makes a line of No Snivelers which are remarkably warm...on my last two hikes within the last 4 weeks I've carried a Stealth No Sniveler as camp jacket and used it to supplement my top insulation in the hammock but it can also be used as an underquilt. The line of No Snivelers is expansive with ratings from 40F to 0F so your choice as to which to carry.
Dont' want to join another forum? cool but what about you-tube? Surf for Shug's videos, he explains everything hammock related and also surf for Professor Hammock, he too does the nuts/bolts of the sport of hanging.
Any questions I'll be glad to help. I started hanging on the AT almost 10 years ago and hammock year around, even in the Grayson Highlands last January at 9F.
Having said all that I just ordered a new tent :)

ken209
01-10-2011, 11:57
So I'm going to open a can of worms. I don't feel like joining another forum, I like WhiteBlaze. Up until hammocks, it's been my one stop shop for hiking forums. I have a question. I'm just starting to hammock, I'm switching over from tarptents. I'm looking into buying a Hennessy Hammock Ultralight Bakpacker, then the thermal under kit, and the thermal overkit, as well as snake skins. Does anyone think this is a reasonable setup for starting a thru in late March, OR is there a lighter alternative. Cost IS NOT an issue.
follow medicine mans advice and save yourself some time, on the other hand if you want hh setup i have one i will sell, pm me.
ken.

Raul Perez
01-10-2011, 13:17
Surfer Nerd,

I'm going to piggy back Medicine Man's comments for the most part and give you an idea of how low the warbonnet sleep system has gotten me:

I use the 1.1 Single Black Bird with the 3 season Mamba and 3 season yeti and that system has gotten me down to 27*F with comfort.

I use the 1.1 Single Black Bird with the Winter Mamba and Winter Yeti and that has gotten me down to 3*F and I was cool. I dont think I set up the Yeti correctly in that scenerio as I had a gap in the underquilt which allowed air flow which gave me CBS (Cool Back Syndrome).

Both systems were the most compact systems I've used to sleep in.

www.warbonnetoutdoors.com (http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com)

For a tarp I would recommend (if price is no object) a ZPacks.com cuben fiber hammock tarp made with specs to close up completely. Otherwise going with the OES Spinn Deluxe Tarp with Grizz Beaks would also be sufficient for winter time.

Here are some gear videos I did to give you some comparison:

Warbonnet vs Hennessey Part 1 (there are 4 parts)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg4dumdEHAU

Ultralight Hiker Part 2 (some modifications you can do to lighten up the black bird):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MxaRIeT8RY

FWIW - I tried the Supershelter for the Hennessey Hammock and I was not a fan of it.

Raul

Tom Murphy
01-10-2011, 13:29
This is all you need.

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Complete%20Set.htm

Bearpaw
01-10-2011, 14:09
Plus one on the Warbonnet Blackbird. The footbox provides a flatter lay than others I have tried (which includes Clarks, HH's, and ENOs). I have the 1.7 double layer since I'm a big guy. If you're around 200 pounds or lighter, you'll do fine with the 1.1 or even 1.0 ounce double layer. I strongly recommend you carry the double layer because it does a nice job of holding a pad in place, and you'll likely want a pad in the Smokies at least, where you may have to stay in a shelter.

I like the lines and rings suspension over Whoopie Slings. It is about 4 ounces heavier but much simpler to set up.

If money is not much of an issue, I would strongly recommend underquilts over the Hennessy system. I find underquilts much more comfortable and less sweaty than underpads. The Hennessy Hammock system seems very gimmicky and I can't help but question their temp ratings.

You might want to look at a warmer weather and colder weather underquilt. HammockGear.com (http://www.hammockgear.com/) makes the finest underquilts I have seen. I've just ordered their Winter Incubator (http://www.hammockgear.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_7_16&products_id=6) , a 0 degree full length underquilt. The one I've seen is truly remarkable, compact and light for its warmth and coverage.

For warmer weather, look at a 3/4 length underquilt, like the HammockGear 3-season Phoenix (http://www.hammockgear.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_6_12&products_id=19) . Again, it is very well made and will fit multiple hammocks equally well. Or you could save a bit more weight and, when you order the Warbonnet Blackbird, also order the Warbonnet Yeti (http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/quilts.php). It is only 10.5 ounces. This is because it is differentially cut for the diagonal way you will lay in the hammock with its footbox. Again, I am a big guy, but I get a good fit in my Blackbird. However, in my ENO, I get a couple of cold spots because of how the Yeti is made primarily for the Blackbird. If you're planning on multiple hammocks, go with the HG Phoenix. With a 3/4 length UQ, you will also need a 20" x 20" section of foam padding for the footbox, another reason I highly recommend the double layer hammock which hold the pad in place so well.

These are pictures of me last March in north Georgia on the Pinhoti Trail. The gear is the Warbonnet Blackbird Hammock, Warbonnet Big Mamajamba Tarp with doors, and Warbonnet Yeti Underquilt.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/bearpawat99/Pinhoti%20GA%20May%2010/028.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/bearpawat99/Pinhoti%20GA%20May%2010/033.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/bearpawat99/Pinhoti%20GA%20May%2010/046.jpg

Seriously, avoid a pad system for underinsulation (other than the Smokies, where the pad can be helpful). It tends to be sweaty and you get cold spots along your shoulders and arms where the pad doesn't wrap around you.

The best hedge might be to buy a Gossamer Gear Nightlight Pad (http://gossamergear.com/sleeping.html). Cut it into two 24' x 20' sections. For about 10 ounces, you'll get a footbox pad for your 3/4 underquilt and a landing pad below your hammock to stand on when you first get out of the hammock. If you decide to sleep in a shelter, you've got a 3/4 length pad that is MUCH more comfortable than most available foam pads like the thermarest ridgerest or z-rest and certainly better than a Walmart blue pad or a milspec isomat. You can place your pack under your feet for padding and insulation. But you will almost never WANT to sleep on a shelter floor once you get used to a hammock. Still gives you good flexibility.

Hope this will give you better ideas. If you are going to order this gear, do it soon. HammockGear can mean a pretty good wait, but if you let them know your time frame, they will definitely get the gear to you before a late March start. Same for Warbonnet. Small family run operations with a lot of demand. But incredible quality gear, much better than most of the mass market stuff coming out of China right now.

Give them a try. You won't regret it.

Red Hat
01-10-2011, 15:29
surfernerd, I used my Warbonnet all last year on my thru and love it! I used a 3/4 yeti underquilt and a WM sleeping bag instead of a top quilt. I had a Speer Winter Tarp, but it's no longer available. Get a good size tarp! Bearpaw's system above is pretty close to what I had and it is what you can get now.

Kerosene
01-10-2011, 15:38
Great thread. Thanks guys!

Bearpaw
01-10-2011, 15:49
If you aren't starting until the first of April, you could likely just use the Yeti with no need for a heavier underquilt. One note on the doors for the Mamajamba. They are detachable, so you can leave them behind when the cold winds begin blowing.

Seen here, fully buttoned up.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/bearpawat99/BMT%20Nov%2010/022.jpg

Warm weather, with the doors left behind, and pitched "front porch" style.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/bearpawat99/Mt%20Rogers%20Loop%20Jun%2010/047.jpg

With the stakes in place in front for a quick pitch, but the flap draped backward out of the way (for best views and star-gazing).
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/bearpawat99/Mt%20Rogers%20Loop%20Jun%2010/053.jpg

You can also go to ground if there are no trees (not a problem on the AT unless you want to tarp outside at a hostel instead of sleeping inside with a bunch of snorers.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/bearpawat99/BMT%206%2010/016.jpg

A sincere word of warning. If you choose to go with a Hennessy Hammock, get a hex style tarp. The little diamond tarps simply don't offer enough space to actually "live" in your hammock when the weather is foul. You can pull it down low and stay dry, but you'll be trapped in the hammock. With a larger tarp, set up with a "front porch", you can sit in your hammock and cook, read, relax, the whole process of living. It's just a much better setup.

Raul Perez
01-10-2011, 15:56
A sincere word of warning. If you choose to go with a Hennessy Hammock, get a hex style tarp. The little diamond tarps simply don't offer enough space to actually "live" in your hammock when the weather is foul. You can pull it down low and stay dry, but you'll be trapped in the hammock. With a larger tarp, set up with a "front porch", you can sit in your hammock and cook, read, relax, the whole process of living. It's just a much better setup.

I agree with this statement wholeheartedly.

gunner76
01-10-2011, 17:04
Like Bearpaw said...Blackbird

kayak karl
01-10-2011, 18:38
i used EXPLORER ULTRALITE A-SYM CLASSIC on hike, but then i'm 6-3. if you are over 5-10 use the ul explorer. others will say you can get away with the backpacker, but that's only because they never tried anything else.
i hate the blackbird and the traveler. i can not get a good nite sleep in either, but thats me.
as far as the HH under system i have found NO good reviews. except on their site. :)
if you have a tarp or not order it with the hex tarp. at least its more sell able then the stock. if you don't need the free scout, sell that also.

have you checked out HF:D

SouthMark
01-10-2011, 18:49
I started with a Hennessy Ultralight Backpacker. Later I had the 2Q zipper modification. I loved the Ultralight Backpacker but due o all rave reviews I just had to have a Blackbird and sold my Ultralight Backpacker. Well I never did like the Blackbird. It is a great hammock but just not for me. I sold it and went back to a Hennessy.

SurferNerd
01-10-2011, 21:00
Thanks all for the wonderful information. So in reading everyone's replies I've come to some conclusions, and a few more questions.

The Warbonnet Blackbird IS the hammock to choose. That said, it's a zipper side, and not the (vagina) velcro of the HH. Is this any different in terms of getting it zipped shut with the pressure points.

The Warbonnet or HammockGear underquilt is the way to go. No pads. Both are same rating, yet the Warbonnet is lighter with same fill number, any differences?

The overquilt is essentially a sleeping bag made for hammocks. I don't need to carry my sleeping bag if I go with the overquilt. What's the difference? Again, hammock gear or warbonnet in brands.

The tarp, I'm going with the OES deluxe in the .95 SpinnUL. Done deal, I have titanium stakes, and my trekking poles to lift the front if and when.

Suspension. If I buy a blackbird, and check out. What suspension do I choose, what's the difference? And if I switch to the whoopie slings, what do I need beyond the kit from HammockGear? Do I still need tree protectors?

And last question, is there a setup I can use without buying two under and overquilts. Not the money, but just weight. Can I buy the crazy cold package, and in warmer weather just drop one of the quilts?

And not a question but a request. I'm going to buy this gear within the next week and have it shipped to my home in east TN near Bristol. I'll be home in late February to give it a few days to try it out. I noticed a bunch of responders to my post are from TN, does anyone want to help me set it up a few times, or go out on an overnighter or two to test it all.

kayak karl
01-10-2011, 21:08
Thanks all for the wonderful information. So in reading everyone's replies I've come to some conclusions, and a few more questions.

The Warbonnet Blackbird IS the hammock to choose. That said, it's a zipper side, and not the (vagina) velcro of the HH. Is this any different in terms of getting it zipped shut with the pressure points.

The Warbonnet or HammockGear underquilt is the way to go. No pads. Both are same rating, yet the Warbonnet is lighter with same fill number, any differences?

The overquilt is essentially a sleeping bag made for hammocks. I don't need to carry my sleeping bag if I go with the overquilt. What's the difference? Again, hammock gear or warbonnet in brands.

The tarp, I'm going with the OES deluxe in the .95 SpinnUL. Done deal, I have titanium stakes, and my trekking poles to lift the front if and when.

Suspension. If I buy a blackbird, and check out. What suspension do I choose, what's the difference? And if I switch to the whoopie slings, what do I need beyond the kit from HammockGear? Do I still need tree protectors?

And last question, is there a setup I can use without buying two under and overquilts. Not the money, but just weight. Can I buy the crazy cold package, and in warmer weather just drop one of the quilts?

And not a question but a request. I'm going to buy this gear within the next week and have it shipped to my home in east TN near Bristol. I'll be home in late February to give it a few days to try it out. I noticed a bunch of responders to my post are from TN, does anyone want to help me set it up a few times, or go out on an overnighter or two to test it all.
the HH has the same zip option of the WB??????
hammocks have a top AND under quilt (TWO)

you don't go to a pizza palor for a bagel with lox.
have you tried HF:D

SurferNerd
01-10-2011, 21:14
For a tarp I would recommend (if price is no object) a ZPacks.com cuben fiber hammock tarp made with specs to close up completely. Otherwise going with the OES Spinn Deluxe Tarp with Grizz Beaks would also be sufficient for winter time.

Raul

Ok, I really like the Zpacks weight on tarps compared to OES. If I want a hexagon shape compared to the Ultra from OES, 144x104, what do I select or choose?

SurferNerd
01-10-2011, 21:18
hammocks have a top AND under quilt (TWO)

you don't go to a pizza palor for a bagel with lox.
have you tried HF:D

***? anything of value in there besides nonsense?

HH recently started the side zip as an option. Is it better than the velcro hole. If it has two quilts AND a sleeping bag...I'm not going hanging. That weight ain't worth it. Might as well bring an air mattress if thats the case.

Bearpaw
01-10-2011, 21:24

Last year HH started offering a side-zip Expedition (http://www.rei.com/product/799606) . Some of us on HF joked about whether Brandon at Warbonnet should sue Tom for patent infringement (irony for those with no sense of humor).

The 2QZQ mod on a Hennessy is far superior with the ability to completely fold back the netting like you did during winter hikes. Plus you can save a lot of weight with that system. If I didn't like my Warbonnet Blackbird so much, I would go with a Hennessy Explorer with the 2QZQ mod for warm weather hikes.

SouthMark
01-10-2011, 21:30
I know you said don't send you to another forum but hammock forums is free and you would have all of your questions answered by now. In fact all of your questions are already answered there. There is a video library over there demonstrating most hammock camping uses. Almost everyone answering you here is a member over there.

kayak karl
01-10-2011, 21:31

HH recently started the side zip as an option. Is it better than the velcro hole. If it has two quilts AND a sleeping bag...I'm not going hanging. That weight ain't worth it. Might as well bring an air mattress if thats the case.
you have an underquilt and a top quilt. i don't even own a sleeping bag and i have done over 200 nites on trails. what can i say. my tarp, hammock, suspensions. TWO quilts for 0 degrees (done -5) is 4 lb - 14 oz. have fun learning to hang. IT IS AN ART!:D

Bearpaw
01-10-2011, 21:33

Underquilt and top quilt. That's all you need. Hammock Gear makes excellent topquilts as well as underquilts. Get one, probably the 20 degree (3-season) Burrow. Leave the sleeping bag at home.

With your late March/early April start, you probably won't need a true winter underquilt. The Yeti or Phoenix should work fine for you, since they are both reasonably rated to 20 degrees.

The difference between the WB Yeti and the HG Phoenix (the newest variation on the Crowsnest) is size and shape. The Yeti is a bit smaller and cut diagonally to the right. It is perfectly suited for the shape and length of the Blackbird hammock. If you intend to use your underquilt with other hammocks, of different lengths and shapes, you may get a better use out of the HammockGear Phoenix instead. It's a little bit bigger and fits just as well around non-asymmetrical hammocks as the symmetrical Blackbird.

kayak karl
01-10-2011, 21:34
I know you said don't send you to another forum but hammock forums is free and you would have all of your questions answered by now. In fact all of your questions are already answered there. There is a video library over there demonstrating most hammock camping uses. Almost everyone answering you here is a member over there.
i think my bagel with lox said it better.:rolleyes:

Turtle Feet
01-10-2011, 21:35

Yes, the Warbonnet is the way to go (I have one as well), no problem getting it zipped or unzipped.

I have HammockGear under and over quilts. I can't speak for other brands as I don't own them, but I couldn't be happier with my HammockGear items. They're well-made, top quality. Love 'em.

As for suspension - mine came with the Dutch Clips, but I made my own whoopies (not difficult to do) and switched over. There's some weight savings, but not a ton. Yes, you'll still use tree straps (for the trees protection), the whoopies take me a little longer to set up than the dutch clips did. I'm going to start the trail with the whoopies, but if I'm not happy with them, I'll switch back.

Yes, you can drop the underquilt in warmer temps - but not until we're in the 60's at night.

Sorry I can't help you with a set-up, I'm in far N. Wisconsin. Feel free to give me a call if you have any questions at all. PM me and I'll give you my #....

turtle feet :)

Raul Perez
01-10-2011, 21:38
Ok, I really like the Zpacks weight on tarps compared to OES. If I want a hexagon shape compared to the Ultra from OES, 144x104, what do I select or choose?

Zpacks hammock tarp provides more coverage than the OES Deluxe. Not sure about the Ultra as I havent used anything that big. OES Deluxe or the Zpacks hammock tarp are plenty for your needs.

If you want something that can be winter worthy with doors go with the big mamajamba from warbonnet.

kayak karl
01-10-2011, 21:42
i own all JRB quilts (8 total) and they have the quickest shipping. why weren't they mentioned???

Raul Perez
01-10-2011, 21:42

This video can give you a visual on the top quilt vs mummy bag:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhkYhlZ1LCg

Suspension the easiest would be the adjustable webbing. If you want to cut weight go with whoopie slings (dynaglide) and learn to tie a marlin spike hitch (super easy).

As to carrying both UQ and TQ why not have the summer package sent to you on trail and mail back the winter version?

Raul Perez
01-10-2011, 21:44
i own all JRB quilts (8 total) and they have the quickest shipping. why weren't they mentioned???

mainly because I dont own any JRB quilts. They do ship fast but the weight for the full length quilts and the volume of the pack it takes over is not my style.

kayak karl
01-10-2011, 21:55
mainly because I dont own any JRB quilts. They do ship fast but the weight for the full length quilts and the volume of the pack it takes over is not my style.
i wasn't posting to you. full quilt are the easiest to learn with. my mt wash4 is 6 oz heavier then my tewa 3/4. not a major different.
are you using a 3/4 top quilt?? seriously! i find the top quilts to be comparable in weight.
im curious. post weights.
it might help thread starter also.

Raul Perez
01-10-2011, 22:30
i wasn't posting to you. full quilt are the easiest to learn with. my mt wash4 is 6 oz heavier then my tewa 3/4. not a major different.
are you using a 3/4 top quilt?? seriously! i find the top quilts to be comparable in weight.

You made a generic statement as to why no one mentioned JRB so I posted why I didnt.

Actually I found the yeti (2/3 UQ) to be the easiest to deal with since there is less messing around with the suspension. My 3 season yeti weighs 11.6oz, the winter version is clocked at 21oz. Plus they take up so much less real estate in the pack. I picked up the MW 3 & MW 4 from JRB and ended up selling them because of the real estate issue and weight.

Top quilts are comparable but when I answered I wasnt speaking about top quilts I should have been more specific.

SurferNerd
01-10-2011, 22:31

I was planning full size under and over anyways. y not, a bit more weight for much more comfort.

Raul Perez
01-10-2011, 22:39
I've had both and noticed no difference in comfort. But thats just me your mileage may vary.

Fog Horn
01-10-2011, 22:43
Can any underquilt fit on a HH or do you have to buy UQ's by brand?

topshelf
01-10-2011, 22:45
If you hurry to join hammock forums there is a blackbird for sale, $170. Brand new I believe.

kayak karl
01-10-2011, 22:47
you made a generic statement as to why no one mentioned jrb so i posted why i didnt.

Actually i found the yeti (2/3 uq) to be the easiest to deal with since there is less messing around with the suspension. My 3 season yeti weighs 11.6oz, the winter version is clocked at 21oz. Plus they take up so much less real estate in the pack. I picked up the mw 3 & mw 4 from jrb and ended up selling them because of the real estate issue and weight.

Top quilts are comparable but when i answered i wasnt speaking about top quilts i should have been more specific.
ty.........................

kayak karl
01-10-2011, 23:02
Can any underquilt fit on a HH or do you have to buy UQ's by brand?
mostly generic, but if you have a bottom entry HH adjusting can be tricky once in it. top loaders work the best IMO. if you have an old HH you can get a zipper mod as i did on two of mine.

Fog Horn
01-10-2011, 23:49
mostly generic, but if you have a bottom entry HH adjusting can be tricky once in it. top loaders work the best IMO. if you have an old HH you can get a zipper mod as i did on two of mine.

I have the side zip one, but their insulation system they sent me was made for the velcro entry one, so instead of modifying it, I sent it back and am planning on purchasing a different UQ. I also want to get a larger tarp too.

Tinker
01-10-2011, 23:59
I'm probably the only one who's tried a Hennessy and gone back to an old fashioned top loading gathered end hammock. I found the HH body to be too wide so that any stray breezes on a very hot night went over me rather than around me, and I got tired of crawling in and out of the trap door.
Insulation was rather easy. I found a sleeping bag with a bottom opening which fit my body rather snugly, ran the hammock through it, and hung it up - insulation all around. I just slide the bag down when I want to get up.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=38616&catid=member&imageuser=2502
Bugs? I add a wrap around bug net which protects me on all sides from bites (and stings, one of which I got through the bottom of my HH), and allows me to sit up with my legs over the side with a minimal chance of bug bites.
There are other pictures in my gallery here.

kayak karl
01-11-2011, 00:01
I have the side zip one, but their insulation system they sent me was made for the velcro entry one, so instead of modifying it, I sent it back and am planning on purchasing a different UQ. I also want to get a larger tarp too.
send me a pm. i got a jrb 11-10, hh hex , mld tarp, wb traveler and misc hammock gear going up for sale wed nite on HF.

SurferNerd
01-11-2011, 00:05
If you hurry to join hammock forums there is a blackbird for sale, $170. Brand new I believe.

The dual layer 1.0 is what I'm looking into..its $130 brand new.

Fog Horn
01-11-2011, 00:06
send me a pm. i got a jrb 11-10, hh hex , mld tarp, wb traveler and misc hammock gear going up for sale wed nite on HF.

I'm not going to lie here, I'm too new to hammocks to know what any of that is aside from HH Hex without pics. I'll send you a pm though about the only thing I recognize haha.

Edit: Can't pm you. You've got it turned off or something.

kayak karl
01-11-2011, 00:11
I'm probably the only one who's tried a Hennessy and gone back to an old fashioned top loading gathered end hammock. I found the HH body to be too wide so that any stray breezes on a very hot night went over me rather than around me, and I got tired of crawling in and out of the trap door.
Insulation was rather easy. I found a sleeping bag with a bottom opening which fit my body rather snugly, ran the hammock through it, and hung it up - insulation all around. I just slide the bag down when I want to get up.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=38616&catid=member&imageuser=2502
Bugs? I add a wrap around bug net which protects me on all sides from bites (and stings, one of which I got through the bottom of my HH), and allows me to sit up with my legs over the side with a minimal chance of bug bites.
There are other pictures in my gallery here.
what temps are you talking about?????

MedicineMan
01-11-2011, 00:12
SurferNerd,
I'm in the Bristol,TN/VA area every other week.

Tinker
01-11-2011, 00:17
what temps are you talking about?????
I've used it with the bag in my previous post (Golite Feather-Lite) down to the high 20s with a light hooded down jacket, and I added a Montbell ULAP Down Thermal Sheet and hot water bottle with a warmer down jacket and my 10x12 tarp closed off at the ends a couple of times last winter when the temps. got down to 5 degrees F. My "self portrait" pic. in my gallery here was on one of those nights.

SurferNerd
01-11-2011, 00:45
SurferNerd,
I'm in the Bristol,TN/VA area every other week.

Great!

Ok, so I'm working with Joe from ZPacks, getting my awesome ultra cool tarp ordered soon. I'm going with a custom made one with removable doors and special tie outs for adding breathing channel.

I'll order my BlackBird tomorrow.

I'm ordering both my upper and lower quilt from HammockGear tmrw, I'm getting the 4season kits. When it gets too warm, I'll drop my overquilt and carry a light fleece blanket.

For suspension, I'm still a toss. I've watched the videos on youtube, and honestly the whoopie system impresses me, yet I'm still unknown.

Bearpaw
01-11-2011, 00:50
I'm ordering both my upper and lower quilt from HammockGear tmrw, I'm getting the 4season kits. When it gets too warm, I'll drop my overquilt and carry a light fleece blanket.

Why go with a fleece blanket when you know a poncho liner can be had at a surplus store for about the same price, will be bigger and warmer, for probably no more weight? I still have one from when I was in the Marine Corps, and I use it often.

SurferNerd
01-11-2011, 00:58
Why go with a fleece blanket when you know a poncho liner can be had at a surplus store for about the same price, will be bigger and warmer, for probably no more weight? I still have one from when I was in the Marine Corps, and I use it often.

Hehe, I remember my Alice pack, and all my overweight crap. I can't believe anything I would have from those days is "light." The heavier the gear, the more oorah you were. Now that you mention it tho, its not a bad idea. I may go look at the surplus store in Nashville when I get back to town. I just like the fuzzy feeling of fleece.

MedicineMan
01-11-2011, 01:04
zpacks makes some sweet sweet kit.
Since I've been hanging for 10 years now I've used every suspension I think that has been. Whoopies are not always the answer but I've got well over a hundred nights hanging from them. Last Jan on the Mt.Rogers hang I used webbing and a truckers knot and an original Speer 8.5 hammock..it's all good and sometimes going retro is the way (I was using a double peapod system on that trip).
The cool thing about whoopies ~and I'm sure you figured this out~ is the almost infinite adjustability, the speed of adjustment (makes me cringe thinking back to the Hennessey knot days), and the weight of them. BUT there is something else cool about them. You can reverse the connection from what is typically done if you are using a Dutch Biner (or nacrabiners work and are cool too) and have the amsteel from the tree hugger connect to the Dutch Biner close to the hammock-----this does two things:

1. provides a water break under the tarp.....any water running down the suspension hits the Dutch biner under the tarp and falls to the ground
2. it allows you to completely setup or break down your rig under the tarp without getting out into the rain.....everything except well of course the tarp itself, but by then you've got everything in the pack and your rain clothes on...you just need to take down the tarp and put it wherever you put your wet/nasties (camp shoes).....

You'll love the big tarp. The irony is that with the one you are getting or a McCat Ultra or Deluxe, when you tie up the hammock out of the way you will have MORE room then many a tenter. Under my McCat Ultra I've had four people cooking and with plenty of room for all of us.

Looks like you are assembling an awesome home away from home!

Fog Horn
01-11-2011, 01:11

We call it a woobie. I love my woobie and have it down on my packing list of things to bring in lieu of a sleeping bag. It may be irrational, but I don't get the same love of woobie when I try to sleep with an ACU pattern one, its wooded or bust. Haha.

velcrots
04-20-2011, 10:27
i slept on a thermarest in my hennessy and a sleeping bag and stayed warm all night. i don't remember there being any sweat from the pad. it just seems to me that an underquilt is an expensive and unnecessary item to have. granted, in a hennessy it's a little difficult getting into, and staying on the pad, but if it's a top entry hammock it seems like that would be eliminated. plus the pad can be used for seating around the camp if necessary, or even if you're forced to sleep on the ground for one reason or other.

Rain Man
04-20-2011, 11:02
Does anyone think this is a reasonable setup for starting a thru in late March....

So, Victor, you know what happened the last time you started in March! SNOW and COLD.

Anyway, how'd it go this time around?

Rain:sunMan

JaxHiker
04-21-2011, 11:08
i slept on a thermarest in my hennessy and a sleeping bag and stayed warm all night. i don't remember there being any sweat from the pad. it just seems to me that an underquilt is an expensive and unnecessary item to have. granted, in a hennessy it's a little difficult getting into, and staying on the pad, but if it's a top entry hammock it seems like that would be eliminated. plus the pad can be used for seating around the camp if necessary, or even if you're forced to sleep on the ground for one reason or other.

I couldn't ever deal with a pad inside the hammock. I found that with the Supershelter shell, pad, and usually a JRB Weathershield I stayed toasty. I've recently switched to a Light Hiker, though. I'll be modding my Weathershield to fit it better and for now plan on just using the SS pad until I figure out what to do with a UQ.

WILLIAM HAYES
04-21-2011, 22:13
warbonnet BB whoopie slings OES Delux Jacks R Better Nest Gossamer Gear pad Jacks R Better Self Tensioners Jacks R Better Overquilt