PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know a good hiking bra size 38 F

no name20
01-10-2011, 01:12
Hey girls. Big disappointment today when I went to buy a moving comfort sports bra to find out they no longer have my size is the bras I wanted. So if anyone can point me in the direction of a good bra to hike in that has serious support I’d appreciate it.

Must haves are:

Separation! – the pools of sweat between the girls would breed all sorts of nastiness…

Ideal:

Hooks and adjustable straps

I am a 38 F so a bra is a must and it is a very hard size to find so any help you can give would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Fog Horn
01-15-2011, 01:29
This might be a stupid question, but have you tried fitting those puppies into an E cup? Moving comfort offers E.

I'm a D/DD depending on the bra, but in sports bras I usually go a size smaller for more support. It might not work for you, but maybe worth a try?

mweinstone
01-15-2011, 07:18
grammici makes the most awsome womens sports bras ever were.

sarbar
01-15-2011, 12:29
http://www.junonia.com/categories//bras-and-camisoles/5-88-92.htm

And yes, they DO carry 38F!

Wise Old Owl
01-15-2011, 12:59
Find a nearby store and really get measured by a professional, follow Foghorns advice that the size might be wrong. And because you are in Maine and sport bras stores are hard to find try online retail after reading this:

http://exercise.about.com/od/exerciseapparel/tp/sports_bras.htm

Connie
01-15-2011, 21:34
http://cw-x.com/ExploreProducts.aspx?product=bras&by=activity&gender=womens

My favorite, otherwise I just wear a spagetti-strap t-shirt undershirt instead.

Connie
01-15-2011, 21:38
Maybe this one?

http://cw-x.com/ExploreProducts.aspx?gender=womens&product=bras&by=size&sub=D

no name20
01-28-2011, 21:33
Thank you guys so much. I'm going to try each of these and figure out what feels best. I really appreciate the help.

no name20
04-06-2011, 21:57
Arrrgh! Just got my last ditch effort bra (Glamorise 1006-sport) in today and took it out for a 6 miler with my pack. When trying it on it felt so good but halfway through the hike I found myself chaffed and burned with sweaty sweaty girls right down the middle. I have now spent a fortune in return shipping fees and have a pile of very expensive non returnable bras because you know I sweated all over them trying out all the suggestions above. Which I really do appreciate! Thank you for any input at all because I actually now have some great running bras. I had high hopes for moving comfort and some of the others that advertised DDD/E but even ordering their largest size I could fit a boob and a half in most. Most of these I can use in other settings or give away to friends but I am having the most horrible time trying to find a good hiking bra. I even did the 12 hour roundtrip drive to the nearest professional fitter to make sure I had the right size. Yep I’m 38 F hedging toward G some times of the month.

Because of the large cup sizes, I’ve found that most of my great underwire bras tend to deform, rub me raw or poke me in the armpit cutting off circulation if I try to use them for anything but daily activities. But I’m so desperate and frustrated now I’m seriously considering building my own Frankenstein bra. Wouldn’t that be a sight on the trail all patched together out of my different bras?

So now I’m back on whiteblaze hoping you lovely ladies might have ideas for any bra at all that would just keep these girls from uniboobing without miles of underwire to stab and rub? Or maybe I could pull out the underwire and remove some of it and then push it back in securing it just between the girls? Any ideas? I can handle a sewing needle but I’d hate to ruin any of my very expensive bras before looking around again.

Any suggestions or just plain laughs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ladies!

Amanita
04-06-2011, 22:24
I know it's not a "sports bra" but I find this bra http://www.lanebryant.com/smooth-balconette-bra/p36851/index.pro to work well for everyday use and hiking/sports. The only sports it won't hold up to are "bouncy" ones like running (no jumping jacks either). I'm a 36DDD and this is the only bra I've found that I can wear all day.

It's synthetic so it dries fast. Has a thin layer of foam in the cups to hold shape, but that eliminates the itchy seam and "torpedo boob" effect. After about 6 months of use there's a ribbing on the side that wears through, I've had no ill effects from just pulling it out once it pokes through (it's a piece of plastic). You may want to sew the shoulder straps to the appropriate length, because they will slide over the course of a day. Also, if any doubt get one size small in the rib because it will stretch out quite a bit, especially if going more than 2-3 days without a machine wash (but they don't have anything above a DDD in 36). Drying in a dryer will wear it out faster, but it doesn't crumble up and die like some bras.

I don't know off the top of my head if your size is "online only" (mine is) but It's worth checking out a physical store if you have one locally. I'm pretty sure they have Fs in store, Gs maybe not.

I went out last week and wore this bra under a 40lb pack all day without any complaints (about the bra, pack is lightening itself rapidly).

no name20
04-06-2011, 22:58
Thanks for the post Amanita. I know what you mean about pack weight:eek:. I do actually own that bra. It’s one of my favorites and fits great. The only problem I have with it is that unless I sit perfectly upright it tends to start creaking and digging into my armpit a little. Maybe because mine is still only 3 months old but I find I can only stand it for a few hours before I need to break free which worries me because the last thing I want to do on my thru is decide it's better to let the girls hang low and bounce them off my knees. Maybe I should try it out hiking though and see if I can break it in like a new pair of boots.

Although I’m starting to think about maybe a sleeping bra like this http://www.herroom.com/leading-lady-151-zig-zag-weave-leisure-bra.shtml
Not sure if I’ll be aching for more support or not

Or else a bra that’s less about structure and more about coverage:
http://www.herroom.com/elomi-8040-energise-underwire-sports-bra.shtml

Does anyone have experience with any of these?

Amanita
04-07-2011, 07:11
What part, exactly, digs into your armpit? I know you mentioned being desperate enough to try some "alterations" and if it's the side ribbing that's digging in, I haven't noticed any support difference from pulling it out. Try cutting a small hole at the top of the rib and push the plastic out through it.

I wish you luck in finding a bra that works for you, I know how difficult it can be for those of us with unusual sizes.

no name20
04-07-2011, 10:33
The part that tends to dig in is the cup underwire on the outside edge. Mostly because with F cups they tend to make very deep cups with lots of wire to hold in side boob, totally forgetting that that where my armpit goes. I was thinking that maybe I could take out the cup underwire and trim that down to only give support between and underneath the girls. But I do worry that I will then have underwire poking into the soft tissue underneath. Hmmmm. Maybe I should just take one of my older worn out bras and fiddle with it.

Thank you for all your suggestions and help. If nothing else it helps to know I’m not alone in raging war against these things. What I wouldn’t give to be just a b cup although at least they act as a counter balance to my loaded pack. Gotta look on the bright side of life:sun

no name20
05-10-2011, 20:32
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and support. Just wanted to give an update and let anyone else who’s looking know what solution finally worked for me. I’ve field tested this on multiple day and 2 weekend overnights but so far what works best for me is a system of two bras.

One is the cacique Lace Full Coverage (http://cacique.lanebryant.com/full-figure-bras/bra-sizes-f-g-h/lace-full-coverage-bra/15023c15042p47888/index.pro?Mcatn=bra+sizes+f++g+%26+h&Mcatpn=bras&Mcatg=category_root&Mcatp=cat_15023%407000&Mcat=15042%407000)

This fits really well and provides support and separation. The only problem with it is occasionally there is a little chaffing right at the underwire if I’m not careful about adjusting the straps in the morning. It dries fast. Also it’s a bit see through…

My second is the Large Patagonia Active Mesh Bra. Yes it gives you uniboob but has good support and fits completely different from the underwire so it’s a good relief if sore spots for at all.

For those bigger girls who are skeptical of what brands like Patagonia deem “large” I’m 38 F and this bra does fit me and covers well so give it a chance and try it on to see if it works for you.

Thanks again and good luck!