PDA

View Full Version : Bag + clothes good enough for april start?

darkage
01-10-2011, 02:16
I'm thinking about buying another sleeping bag, prolly another montbell or WM rated at 15f ... but if i don't have too, i can save the money for something else or the trip in general ... I'm not starting till 2012 so i have time too get this right ...

As of this minute my plan is too take my wicking layer, a soft shell "replaced my fleece", a down jacket/sweater and finally my hard shell lining for the rough rain/wind .... now i also plan on carrying a seperate pair of camping clothes .. the keep dry or die pair basicly ... with the softshell and down + the montbell UL super stretch #4 rated at 35 ... will i be warm enough, or should i just suck it up and buy another bag? ... add a liner? ... any thoughts?

Serial 07
01-10-2011, 02:20
dates man, dates...

Serial 07
01-10-2011, 02:21
ah, april start...got it...35 degrees seems a bit light for me, but i'm a cold sleeper...i'd expect some cold temps in the smokies....

darkage
01-10-2011, 02:22
Sorry bout that, topic said april start ... april 5th, give or take a day or two i'll be starting ... can't miss our anniversary on april 2nd, heh.

darkage
01-10-2011, 02:25
yeah, thats what i was thinking .... i was out last on halloween and it hit 30f or so that night, maybe alittle lower up in the mountain but i had on my fleece and shell in the bag and was on the boarder of warm but could feel the coolness now an then ... so i think i'm leaning towards grabin another bag and swapin out along the way?

garlic08
01-10-2011, 09:52
I started April 4 2008 and hit temps in the low teens a few times in the first couple of weeks. I would not have been able to stay on trail without my excellent Marmot Helium 15. I have tried it and I cannot increase my bag's rating with bulky clothing--it often works in reverse for my by constricting my movement and circulation. Others have better luck with the right clothing and right bag. I think the only way to tell for you is to try it. You should have plenty of opportunity near home.

If you can't afford a better bag, and cold weather hits (in my case, I was able to watch the forecasts and I knew what was coming), you can sit it out in towns. But that costs money, too.

dirtnap
01-10-2011, 11:40
I don't think you need a new bag. I use a 35 degree down bag with no liners or anything else, and it is good enough to use on an early March hike.

buz
01-10-2011, 12:33
I think Garlic is right, you have plenty of time to try things, temp wise, only true way to make sure you are ready, IMO. So go out and sleep in 20 degree temps, see what works. No doubt early on it could easily be that cold. Being cold at night suks bad, avoid at all costs.

Me, I would look at purchasing another high end bag for the start, you can always resell it, if you buy a good one. You already own a nice one for warmer months, and can swap it out. By the time you buy good insulating clothes to try to get your bag maybe 20 degrees warmer, the cost difference would be negligible for a nice bag.

Liners dont work for me, flippy floppy side sleeper, you may be different.