PDA

View Full Version : Sealing Tent Seams Under Tension or Not?

Spokes
01-10-2011, 11:59
I've always set up my tents and sealed the seams while they were "under tension". Guess I always thought it helped get the goo into the thread holes better.

Just got my SMD Lunar Solo and want to seal it up but it's snowing outside! Anyone ever seal seam their tent by just laying out flat and squirting the thread lines? Which way is better?

Wise Old Owl
01-10-2011, 12:11
Set it up in the basement or garage - any place where the seams can dry and be tack without touching other parts of the tent, tension or fully set up is not important, getting the glue down the thread holes is.

10-K
01-10-2011, 12:12
Seems like it would be a hassle, especially with the cut of a Solo.

Wouldn't it get all stuck together when you tried to move it around to get from one seam to another?

Spokes
01-10-2011, 13:12
Seems like it would be a hassle, especially with the cut of a Solo.

Wouldn't it get all stuck together when you tried to move it around to get from one seam to another?

That's what I was thinking 10-K. It may be more of a hassle. Wish I could set it up like Wise Old Owl mentioned but the Lunar Solo is a bear to do- already tried!

10-K
01-10-2011, 13:22
Yeah, I can't even imagine a way to setup my Solo in the house or basement short of a way that wouldn't require a power tool.

My wife's overlooks my hiking and gear obsession for the most part but if I were to start drilling holes in the basement floor for strategically placed eyescrews so I could pitch my tent she might have me committed. :)

springerfever
01-10-2011, 13:43
I would think you would be fine just applying the silnet on the flat tarp. That stuff is pretty messy. It easier to apply if you let the tube sit in very hot water for a few minutes or better yet, slightly dilute the silnet with low-odor mineral spirits. Once you have a good slurry, either apply with an irrigating syringe (dentist will give you one) or a small stiff paint brush.

Let dry thoroughly (overnight) . After cured sprinkle with talcum powder and rub into the seam. I use my GoldBond. Don't you just love multi-use products! This will keep the seams from sticking to each other when packing/rolling.

Congratulations on your new SMD tarp. Great products and customer service !!

skinewmexico
01-10-2011, 18:42
Lay it out, mix your silcone/mineral spirits, and do one side. When it dries, turn it over, do the other. I like to mix it pretty thin and do 2-3 coats so it soaks in. Probably won't soak in after the first, if you do it right though.

Franco
01-10-2011, 19:01
I do my tents in the bedroom holding a non free standing up using bricks. It takes two (about 18 lbs total) per guyline to keep it up.
( put a long peg in the guyline loop then put the bricks/sand bags on top of that. )
Some have used the furniture as tie out points.
Franco

Roland
01-10-2011, 19:07
I've always set up my tents and sealed the seams while they were "under tension". Guess I always thought it helped get the goo into the thread holes better.
~

I agree with this.

Adding seam sealant to the surface of the fabric will waterproof the seam.

Flowing sealant into the thread holes enhances the structural integrity of the tent, as well as waterproofs the seam.

SweetAss03
01-10-2011, 20:40
Do yourself a favor and wait. I got the Duo for Christmas and I am also eager to set mine up and get the seams sealed. However the snow.and cold don't seem to be going anywhere soon. So I wait.
I think if you practice a little discipline here you are going to be happier with the end results.

STICK
01-10-2011, 20:55
I just used some SilNet last night on a homemade Sil stuff sack for my sleeping bag. I stuffed my sleeping bag inside it so it would be puffed out and then just simply applied a little pressure while holding the tip against the seam and slowly moving the tube down keeping the same angle on the tube...if that makes sense.

It worked pretty good, but I may put another coat because it did not completely get down inside the seams in some places. Sure it covered the seams in a very uniformly pattern and it looks pretty good, but some places I wonder about. Then again, it uses a draw cord to cinch the top so it is not truly a "water proof" bag. I mainly wanted to get the seams good at the bottom in case water made its way inside my pack and sloshed around in the bottom for a little while...

So, IMO, I would say wait until you can set it up and do it properly. But don't think that it wouldn't be tied out to stuff inside my living room... :)

Have fun with your new purchase...

Tinker
01-11-2011, 00:09
We used wide Velcro way back in the mid '80s at REI to attach tents to the rug in the showroom. Should work on your rug at home for seam sealing (this is one place where your ground cloth should stick out beyond the floor of the tent :D.

hikingshoes
01-11-2011, 00:21

Just got my SMD Lunar Solo and want to seal it up but it's snowing outside! Anyone ever seal seam their tent by just laying out flat and squirting the thread lines? Which way is better?

Im waiting on the same thing there Spokes.I have my tent setup upstairs to dry out from my last hike.No room to seam seal it so ill just wait until its nice out and do it right.HS