PDA

View Full Version : Weather conditions in Georgia.

Lemni Skate
01-10-2011, 12:58
I know that there were probably one or two thru hikers starting in January. I hope they're safe and sound, not good weather on the AT in GA/NC/TN right now.

How hard it is to hike this time of year down there for your average hiker?

HiKen2011
01-10-2011, 14:57
In these conditions, hard. 9 inches of snow at my house, 740 ft. elevation. Can only imagine on Blood Mtn.:-?

Sierra Echo
01-10-2011, 15:03
In these conditions, hard. 9 inches of snow at my house, 740 ft. elevation. Can only imagine on Blood Mtn.:-?

LMAO you could sit down on the summit of Ole Bloody and slide down all the way to Walasi!

dbellue
01-10-2011, 15:14
The 9" of snow will make it tough, but the ice that forms later will be extremely difficult.

Red Hat
01-10-2011, 15:22
It goes and comes. Somedays, like today, are pretty impossible. Then you have a warm spell and it is nice. But you never really know how long the nice spell will last, so it is chancy hiking.

Bearpaw
01-10-2011, 15:33
I'm betting the snow on Blood Mountain is gonna be nearly waist deep by tomorrow afternoon. The Smokies are probably going to be chest deep at Clingman's Dome. But then, I've hiked the AT in GSMNP this time of year when it was clear with 60 degree highs.

You really have to be ready for a wide range of conditions. The most dangerous thing, to my mind, would be to hit beautiful weather from Springer to Mountain Crossings. A lot of new hikers might think Spring was here and send home a lot of their warm gear. Bad call.

Sierra Echo
01-10-2011, 15:57
I'm betting the snow on Blood Mountain is gonna be nearly waist deep by tomorrow afternoon. The Smokies are probably going to be chest deep at Clingman's Dome. But then, I've hiked the AT in GSMNP this time of year when it was clear with 60 degree highs.

You really have to be ready for a wide range of conditions. The most dangerous thing, to my mind, would be to hit beautiful weather from Springer to Mountain Crossings. A lot of new hikers might think Spring was here and send home a lot of their warm gear. Bad call.

I dont know about all that. I talked to my Grandfather today who lives in Blairsville and he said they only got a few inches so far.

Mtn Scout
01-10-2011, 16:05
we are planning to start at standing indian this coming sat and hike to 64. this trip was originally planned the week after x mas and was delayed because oif the almost 2 ft of snow. i am in clayton and we have around 8-9 inches right now. so i seriously doubt we will be going this weekend

Mongoose2
01-10-2011, 17:57
I dont know about all that. I talked to my Grandfather today who lives in Blairsville and he said they only got a few inches so far.

Echo, I'm just up the road from you in Hoschton and we have six, a friend in Helen said she had 10.......

Sierra Echo
01-10-2011, 18:07
Echo, I'm just up the road from you in Hoschton and we have six, a friend in Helen said she had 10.......

I got 7 myself. Some co-workers got over 10 in Jefferson.

JERMM
01-10-2011, 18:11

SE- the summit of Blood Mtn is over 2400' higher in elevation than Blairsville. I would say yes, waist deep snow is very possible

Sierra Echo
01-10-2011, 18:29
SE- the summit of Blood Mtn is over 2400' higher in elevation than Blairsville. I would say yes, waist deep snow is very possible

well why dont you go measure it for us.

jtken
01-10-2011, 18:30
I work for the city of Dahlonega and ran the salt truck all night and all day today.....Avg 7" of snow here.

jtken
01-10-2011, 18:34
And i'm planning to hike from coopers gap to neels gap on the 16th and 17th

daddytwosticks
01-10-2011, 19:42
It's not just snow that's getting deep here....:)