PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Upper Peninsula NCT

Pringles
01-10-2011, 13:09
If anyone is planning on hiking the NCT in the Eastern Upper Peninsula, and needs some help, please let me know. I live about 30 miles away, and need to pay back/ahead help others have given me. Oh, and it's nice meeting hikers. :)

Pringles

IceAge
01-10-2011, 13:15
Can you give me an overview of what I could expect on a hike through the Hiawatha NF on the NCT?

WI_Mike
01-10-2011, 17:41
Make sure you check out this site:

http://www.northcountrytrail.org/guide/index.php/Main_Page

isawtman
01-11-2011, 10:50
Pringles

Have you hiked extensively the Eastern Peninsula NCT and can give advise and tip type of help. Or are you offering help to get people back to their cars, etc? That's what I call Trail Angel type of help

regards from me, Tman

regar

Pringles
01-11-2011, 18:28
Tman, you're correct, I was actually offering trail angel type help. I have hiked very little of the NCT in my area, as I'd rather hike along Lake Superior if I have the chance. But, if someone is needing a ride or some information, I'll do what I can to help. I also know a couple of trail maintainers and could get information from them.

IceAge, the area is beautiful. We have relatively cool summers. There are a variety of northern types of forest, including beech, maple, a bit of oak, and a fair amount of pine and spruce and hemlock. We have deer and coyotes and fox and wolves and a few moose and some cougars. The DNR doesn't think the cougars are here, but I know too many people who have seen them to doubt that they are present. There are magnificent rivers to canoe and kayak, and some beautiful lakes to sea kayak (Superior, Huron and Michigan), though I doubt you'd do that while hiking, but maybe you'll take a day off? We have pink, yellow and showy lady slippers and blueberries and, well, it's a nice place if you like northern forests. I tend to hike along Lake Superior because the views are nice, and the breezes keep the mosquitoes and black and stable flies off. But, if you want to hike that trail (NCT), you need to do some of the stuff in the woods where the bugs are. And, if you need a ride or some information that a local could dig up, I'm offering to help.

Pringles