PDA

View Full Version : Maine Conditions?

Mismatch
01-10-2011, 15:07
I am planning on a SOBO hike starting mid-june this year and I have a couple of questions.

I am on the brink between Trail-runners and Boots. I know I will probably want boots when the weather turns and I am not opposed to starting with them. Is it cold enough in June to want for boots? The boots I have are Salomon Cosmic 4d GTX. I love them and they are very comfy. Should I start with them, send them home if I feel like doing so and then proceed with trail-runners till the cold hits? I have a pair of Brook's Running shoes, but no trail runners. I might be willing to make that investment if you all think it was worth it.

I have a 15* NF Cat's Meow. I know it isn't the warmest or the lightest, but I don't have a lot of money to spend and it was priced right. My question is will I be too warm in that? Could I get by with a REI Midweight Fleece Liner for the first part? Special Circumstances: I am using a Hammock, which typically sleeps a little bit colder.

Should I bring a jacket? Or would I be fine to start with just long underwear with a rain jacket?

I guess all these questions stem from one basic one. I was born and raised in the South so when I think June and July, I think sweltering heat and when I think Maine, I think insanely cold. So my mind is having trouble conjuring a mental picture of maine in the summer. What weather conditions do you run into starting out SOBO in mid-june?

walkin' wally
01-10-2011, 16:38
I am planning on a SOBO hike starting mid-june this year and I have a couple of questions.

I am on the brink between Trail-runners and Boots. I know I will probably want boots when the weather turns and I am not opposed to starting with them. Is it cold enough in June to want for boots? The boots I have are Salomon Cosmic 4d GTX. I love them and they are very comfy. Should I start with them, send them home if I feel like doing so and then proceed with trail-runners till the cold hits? I have a pair of Brook's Running shoes, but no trail runners. I might be willing to make that investment if you all think it was worth it.

I have a 15* NF Cat's Meow. I know it isn't the warmest or the lightest, but I don't have a lot of money to spend and it was priced right. My question is will I be too warm in that? Could I get by with a REI Midweight Fleece Liner for the first part? Special Circumstances: I am using a Hammock, which typically sleeps a little bit colder.

Should I bring a jacket? Or would I be fine to start with just long underwear with a rain jacket?

I guess all these questions stem from one basic one. I was born and raised in the South so when I think June and July, I think sweltering heat and when I think Maine, I think insanely cold. So my mind is having trouble conjuring a mental picture of maine in the summer. What weather conditions do you run into starting out SOBO in mid-june?

To answer your last question it can be quite warm in Maine in June. The biggest issue may be the insects which are at their peak during June. On the AT that would be Mosquitoes and Black Flies. Some years it rains a lot in June which can be a blessing and a curse at the same time. July is our warmest month with usually less rain. Think a fair level of heat and humidity
sometimes but not to southern standards. Both months can be beautiful too.

Insanely cold? Not in June, although we set a state record of -50F last winter at an automated weather station at the Big Black River.:D

There is another thread with nearly the same title on this forum with a lot of info on it. I think it is "Me Conditions" or something like that. I'm not good at posting links

Good luck on your hike.

emerald
01-10-2011, 16:45
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23172

The Flatulator
03-01-2011, 16:08
Plan for the cold and plan for the rain. Plan for cold rain and plan to be wet all the time. Maine is wet and your feet will not be dry the whole time you are hiking here, especially in June. All of the river and stream crossings are fords; there are no bridges. There may still be snow in the higher elevations, though if you are starting at Katahdin, most of it will be gone by the time you get into the 4000 footers of Western Maine. I have seen it snow in July and August at the higher elevations. Best to have warm clothing all the way through the Whites and then some. Check out my site www.100milewilderness.info (http://www.100milewilderness.info) Would be happy to answer your questions and help with your plans

garlic08
03-01-2011, 16:20
If you wear shoes, be ready to lace 'em tight so the mud doesn't suck 'em off. I got into Maine on July 4 on my NOBO hike and the mud was just starting to dry up a bit. Cold was not an issue--rain and mud were. And the flies.

earlyriser26
03-01-2011, 16:38
If you survive the Wilderness in June, it will be all down hill from there. You have picked a very difficult part of the trail at one of the most difficult times of the year. Bring a head net. You won't regret it. You can also expect the streams to be high. This actually means something in the wilderness.

Pete Moss
03-01-2011, 16:55
1) start with the boots you have, wear them til they are done and then get a new pair of boots or runners at a local outfitter, but save the money and start with what you have. Also may be good to have the extra ankle support of the boot in that terrain until you get your trail legs.

2) your bag is fine and will keep you plenty warm, if you get hot, just unzip the bag and use as a quilt.

3) Dont bother with a parka. Have dry clean long johns to change into at camp and sleep in. Do invest in a light weight insulated jacket so you can layer that with your rain coat if temps do drop.

Blissful
03-02-2011, 14:48
If you survive the Wilderness in June, it will be all down hill from there.

Well not quite. The downhill starts at Glencliff, NH. :)
:)

earlyriser26
03-02-2011, 17:28
Well not quite. The downhill starts at Glencliff, NH. :)
:)
I know both areas and think NH is "easier". Why not start sobo in August? If school is an issue, go nobo.