PDA

View Full Version : Snow

Mother Natures Son
01-10-2011, 19:46
We are to get hit with a major snow storm here in South Central PA. What is the best way to hike through snow? (post hole or something else)

Bearpaw
01-10-2011, 19:48
Wait for someone else to posthole through first and let them pack it down for you.

HiKen2011
01-10-2011, 19:50
Wait for someone else to posthole through first and let them pack it down for you.

Second that or stay in where it's warm.;)

Jaybird62
01-10-2011, 19:59
Drive a plow truck through it!!!!

TIDE-HSV
01-10-2011, 21:29

I had to laugh about that. Once, I hiked up Anthony Creek to Spence field in January in powder up to our crotches at the top. I had under-sized snowshoes (I tried to sell them to anybody at the shelter), and when my mates behind me would try to follow, they'd break through. After the Christmas snow, this is what it looks like now in north Alabama:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/TIDE-HSV/IMG_1467.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/TIDE-HSV/IMG_1481.jpg

Toolshed
01-10-2011, 23:37
We are to get hit with a major snow storm here in South Central PA. What is the best way to hike through snow? (post hole or something else)
If it is over a foot deep and either wet heavy snow, windblown drifts or crusting , I'd say snowshoes or ski's - especially if you are breaking trail. It is a lot of work though. If it is drier powder you could probably just plod through it, depending on how many miles you plan on doing. What you don't want is long distances postholing through deep snow. Very tiring and a good way to stretch or tear your groin or thigh muscles

Roland
01-11-2011, 06:02

The decision whether or not to use snowshoes is a function of:

The depth of the snow
The texture and moisture content of the snow
The terrain under the snow

Toolshed's response sums it up best. Go with that.

fiddlehead
01-11-2011, 06:09

That's exactly how we did it with the Sherpas in Nepal.
We took turns in the lead and it was hard to stay up there after 15 minutes or so.
We found that switching leaders every 8-10 minutes worked the best.
Of course it depends how deep the snow is.

The snow in that picture with the round table wouldn't need much work to get through.

sheepdog
01-11-2011, 08:34
snow mobile..............