PDA

View Full Version : Good News for iPhone-Using Hikers

XCskiNYC
01-11-2011, 00:34
Here it is:

http://news.google.com/news/search?aq=0z&pz=1&cf=all&ned=us&hl=en&q=iphone+verizon&oq=iphone+verizon

It's good news because AT&T, which has been the only above-board provider of cell service for iPhones, lacks service along much of the AT as well as in many other rural areas. Verizon has coverage over much of the AT (I'm saying that from their maps and from my own experience on the Harriman State Park, NY to Great Barrington, MA stretch of AT; also on very rural parts of the Berkshires like Notchview XC-ski area in Windsor, MA).

This is neither an endorsement nor a negative criticism of taking an iPhone on an LD hike. That said, I'd rather have a cool drink of water on a hot day than an app that simulates a cool drink of water on the iPhone screen; I'd rather have a thick roaring fire log than an app that simulates the WPIX Christmas Log on the iPhone screen

SurferNerd
01-11-2011, 00:37
Hehe....my employer, Verizon Business. My off the record comment for our announcement tomorrow: ITS NOT AS GOOD AS YOUR THINKING ITS GOING TO BE!

Bucherm
01-11-2011, 02:59
Hehe....my employer, Verizon Business. My off the record comment for our announcement tomorrow: ITS NOT AS GOOD AS YOUR THINKING ITS GOING TO BE!

To continue the not-hiking thread drift, I just got off the phone hleping with a datalink overseas and the person on the other end is getting ready to finish her deployment and is excited at a Verizon iPhone. She didn't like it when I "poo-pooed" on her excitement by commenting that Verizon has expended huge sums of money pushing the DROID line as a viable alternative to the iPhone, so I doubted a iPhoen it was likely.

(even if there is one, whoop de do, it won't be LTE)

SurferNerd
01-11-2011, 17:51
To continue the not-hiking thread drift, I just got off the phone hleping with a datalink overseas and the person on the other end is getting ready to finish her deployment and is excited at a Verizon iPhone. She didn't like it when I "poo-pooed" on her excitement by commenting that Verizon has expended huge sums of money pushing the DROID line as a viable alternative to the iPhone, so I doubted a iPhoen it was likely.

(even if there is one, whoop de do, it won't be LTE)

Now that its out, I can comment on it. We released it this morning, whoop de do. No LTE, no simultaneous call/data, new design forcing all new cases and bumpers, no new every two anymore, 15 return policy now, no international roaming, and all new billing. Yay, it's just what we need. Whiny little crapple fans blowing up our network because they don't understand anything. We had to re-adjust our entire systems to support their stupid phone. **** apple, and their iCrap. Ah, rant finished.

Roland
01-11-2011, 17:59
Now that its out, I can comment on it. We released it this morning, whoop de do. No LTE, no simultaneous call/data, new design forcing all new cases and bumpers, no new every two anymore, 15 return policy now, no international roaming, and all new billing. Yay, it's just what we need. Whiny little crapple fans blowing up our network because they don't understand anything. We had to re-adjust our entire systems to support their stupid phone. **** apple, and their iCrap. Ah, rant finished.

Bad day???

Roots
01-11-2011, 18:02

OMG!!!! Whine much...jeezzz!!! The iphone must be worth something to verizon for them to make the adjustments needed for them to carry it. Same exact phone...no....but for verizon to spend the $ they have on bringing it to their carrier, there must be something good about it.

SurferNerd
01-11-2011, 20:58
Bad day???

OMG!!!! Whine much...jeezzz!!! The iphone must be worth something to verizon for them to make the adjustments needed for them to carry it. Same exact phone...no....but for verizon to spend the $ they have on bringing it to their carrier, there must be something good about it.

Nope, not a bad day at all. Another wonderful day at Verizon Business. See the problem isn't that they adjusted the carrier to bring in the new users. They also damaged EVERY SINGLE CURRENT VERIZON SUBSCRIBER. If you have Verizon, listen up, you'll be getting the letter in the mail here shortly about the changes. If you like getting a new free phone every two years, thank the iPhone because we just cancelled it for everyone, not just iCrappers. If you wanted to test our service for a month and see how good it is, thank the iPhone, it's now 15 days. If you like unlimited data, you better be ready for what's coming next. We're tier pricing our data, and it WON'T be unlimited unless your grandfathered in.

Of course the good about it is the revenue to us, always a positive. But at what cost to every single user of Verizon Wireless. Either way, its iCrap.

If you buy into Apple's products, you might as well go move to North Korea and become a communist. With Apple, you take what you're given, no choices, no options, no customizations. Apple is so draconian, that honestly it's like buying a name. your buying it to be hip, cool, etc. There is nothing that Apple has that Windows doesn't. Apple has viruses, few, but they do. You can't game, you have little i/o options.

With an iCrap (iPhone, iPod, iPad):

1. You can't change out a dead battery, you can't replace an end of life one without an expensive service charge and send off.
2. You can't adjust, change, add, remove memory. No SD cards, no loading into PC via card, no sharing via TV, no upgrades period.
3. Need a charger, its got to be that propietary Apple cable. In 2012, all phone manufacturers agreed and signed to share the same charging cable. Guess who was absent from the agreement?
4. Want an app that's not on the app store? Can't do it, your locked. You must void your warranty, and violate your contract to sideload apps. Blackberry and Android allow this by default.
5. Want to customize widgets? Wait, Apple doesn't do widgets.
6. Need multi-tasking? Unless the developer uses special iOS API, it won't work. Even then, its NOT real multi-tasking.
7. Want to video chat? Better be near Wifi, unless you have an iPad, then you don't even have a camera at all.
8. Need Turn by Turn directions? Better buy that app cuz it aint built in with iCrap.
9. Does it look cool? YES
10. Does it make you feel like you a giant dick? People think so

If you want a draconian style manufacturer, if you still like your parents telling you what to do, or you believe in communism; the iCrap line is for you!

SurferNerd
01-11-2011, 21:01
And my favorite part..

If I buy an iPhone, can I choose the color, specs, cpu, ram, memory, networks, screen size, battery size, cameras, keyboard or not, 4G or not? NO NO YOU CAN'T

Skidsteer
01-11-2011, 21:05
So you're not a fan? :D

QiWiz
01-11-2011, 21:38
:-? Don't listen to SurferNerd, as unbiased as he seems to be :D
Instead, go check it out and make up your own mind. I personally would not trade my iPhone for any other device currently on the market. Find it very useful as do-it-all device for backpacking and daily use. Whether Verizon is better than AT&T is probably location- and type-of-use-dependent and remains to be seen. No disgruntled Verizon iPhone users (yet).

Sly
01-11-2011, 22:03
No free every two, no more Verizon.

SurferNerd
01-11-2011, 22:12
No free every two, no more Verizon.

Yes, we are phasing out the new every two. Here's a news article about it.

http://stopthecap.com/2011/01/05/verizon-wireless-eliminating-new-every-two-program-other-upgrade-discounts-being-phased-out/

corialice81
01-11-2011, 22:27
:-? Don't listen to SurferNerd, as unbiased as he seems to be :D
Instead, go check it out and make up your own mind. I personally would not trade my iPhone for any other device currently on the market. Find it very useful as do-it-all device for backpacking and daily use. Whether Verizon is better than AT&T is probably location- and type-of-use-dependent and remains to be seen. No disgruntled Verizon iPhone users (yet).

In 2009, I was the only Verizon carrier while the rest of my friends had AT&T while hiking the AT. I had much better service than they did. There were some shady spots in Va and near Glencliff, NH BUT, overall, Verizon had more available service along the trail compared to the AT&T service.

psst. crackberries RULE! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Sly
01-11-2011, 22:52
Yes, we are phasing out the new every two. Here's a news article about it.

http://stopthecap.com/2011/01/05/verizon-wireless-eliminating-new-every-two-program-other-upgrade-discounts-being-phased-out/

They may lose a ton of customers. Once this contract is up, if they're not willing to give me a decent phone, I'll just find another provider that will and sign a new contract with them.

10-K
01-11-2011, 22:57
They may lose a ton of customers. Once this contract is up, if they're not willing to give me a decent phone, I'll just find another provider that will and sign a new contract with them.

If you read it closely it says that *new* customers will not have the "New Every Two" option and existing customers will lose the early upgrade discount.

Verizon is discontinuing its “New Every Two” handset discount program for customers who sign new contracts after Jan. 16 and will stop allowing customers to obtain early upgrade discounts on new phones before their contract nears expiration.

Sounds like you'll still get your 'New Every Two" but you gotta wait the full 2 years.

SurferNerd
01-11-2011, 23:01
If you read it closely it says that *new* customers will not have the "New Every Two" option and existing customers will lose the early upgrade discount.

Verizon is discontinuing its “New Every Two” handset discount program for customers who sign new contracts after Jan. 16 and will stop allowing customers to obtain early upgrade discounts on new phones before their contract nears expiration.

Sounds like you'll still get your 'New Every Two" but you gotta wait the full 2 years.

Correct, for your next contract you are grandfathered in. BUT once you sign that new 2 yr...its over. So in essence, your getting ONE free get a phone card, but once you sign up again, thats it.

10-K
01-11-2011, 23:05
Correct, for your next contract you are grandfathered in. BUT once you sign that new 2 yr...its over. So in essence, your getting ONE free get a phone card, but once you sign up again, thats it.

I've still got one year left, plus I'm still eligible for one more "Free" phone with a new 2 year contract.

Lord, who knows what'll be out in 3 years anyway? I'm sure the cell landscape will be dramatically different than it is today anyway.

skinewmexico
01-11-2011, 23:56
Droid baby. Don't drink that Apple Kool-aid.

SurferNerd
01-11-2011, 23:58
You all ready for this, I'm going to blow your mind! I'm a GIANT hypocrite from a few yrs ago. Read this news article..you know who Victor is? Ya, that's me. In the bottom picture, black shirt and hat. I was actually on the 11'oclock news live for that night.

SurferNerd
01-11-2011, 23:59
Dur.. forgot link

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/10562561/iphone-lovers-campout-overnight-for-new-model?redirected=true

wcgornto
01-12-2011, 00:51
8. Need Turn by Turn directions? Better buy that app cuz it aint built in with iCrap.

The MapQuest App is free and has turn by turn directions. It works well for me.

sherrill
01-12-2011, 10:43
So, now it's finally something to do with a hiking forum. :D (From your article)

COOL SPRINGS, Tenn. - Camping gear was whipped out in the Cool Springs area for the iPhone stake out overnight.

Roots
01-12-2011, 10:48
It is all a matter of choice. SO SORRY SurferNerd....I hate that it has angered you so bad about a cell phone! I hate that there are options for those who would like them. Its just so...HORRIBLE! :rolleyes:

SurferNerd
01-18-2011, 16:32
As I previously talked about, and because some may have doubted my sources since I work for Verizon Corporate...low and behold, officially today we publicly announced the removal of our new every two.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/18/verizon-officially-kills-off-new-every-two-upgrade-discount-prog/

couscous
01-23-2011, 17:18
2.10.11 iPhone 4 on Verizon .. I may get a Droid just because I can write my own apps.

Bucherm
01-25-2011, 05:36
As I previously talked about, and because some may have doubted my sources since I work for Verizon Corporate...low and behold, officially today we publicly announced the removal of our new every two.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/18/verizon-officially-kills-off-new-every-two-upgrade-discount-prog/

Nah, I believed you.

And of course the OP is kinda misleading, it's only"good" for iPhone using hikers if you're willing to jump providers and get a new device. Off-contract purchases of the iPhone for Verizon are going to be more than AT&T.

Also, with an Android device you can carry around a spare battery. You're SOL with an iPhone.