PDA

View Full Version : Help my brother win his dream job!

Firefighter503
01-11-2011, 06:00
I don't see a correct forum for this, so here goes:

Hey all,

My brother has the opportunity to attain his dream job of becoming a SCUBA instructor in Bali. No one that I know deserves this more than him. He has started several companies, is an outdoor enthusiast in every sense of the word, and a true entrepreneur. Figured I'd throw it out there and see if I can get some votes for him. Click the link, and vote for Pat Brennan! Click 'Should this person win?' and leave a comment for him.

http://www.bestdivejob.com/blog/

fiddlehead
01-11-2011, 06:15
I play in a band here in nearby Phuket, Thailand.
Everyone in my band except me came here with the same goals.
THey all did it for a while and now, none of them are instructors anymore.
One of them still dives about once a month.

Diving is cool until you have to do it everyday and put up with beginners all the time (this is what they tell me anyway)
Some of them did it for as long as 2 years. Other's only one high season.
I am not trying to bust your brother's bubble.
Just a little practical advice from the neighborhood.

Roland
01-11-2011, 06:27
Firefighter503,

Speaking as an old bastard who has reviewed countless resumes and interviewed scores of job candidates, I will say that your brother's bio is a bit rough.

As his older brother, maybe you could help him polish it up, a little. For instance, his ambition of finding "a super hot trophy wife" is unlikely to impress the HR folks. There is an over-arching tone of arrogance and immaturity that may not yield the results he's hoping for.

Do I sound harsh? Perhaps. But keep in mind it doesn't matter how cool your bother thinks his bio is, his resume will likely be reviewed by some old bastard, like me. That's just reality.

buff_jeff
01-11-2011, 10:18
Firefighter503,

Speaking as an old bastard who has reviewed countless resumes and interviewed scores of job candidates, I will say that your brother's bio is a bit rough.

As his older brother, maybe you could help him polish it up, a little. For instance, his ambition of finding "a super hot trophy wife" is unlikely to impress the HR folks. There is an over-arching tone of arrogance and immaturity that may not yield the results he's hoping for.

Do I sound harsh? Perhaps. But keep in mind it doesn't matter how cool your bother thinks his bio is, his resume will likely be reviewed by some old bastard, like me. That's just reality.

Agreed. The guy sounds like an arrogant prick.

Lone Wolf
01-11-2011, 10:21
i voted for Lerin Pierce

10-K
01-11-2011, 10:28
Agreed. The guy sounds like an arrogant prick.

Now there's a ringing endorsement.

Turtle Feet
01-11-2011, 10:39
I would totally dive with the hot Frenchie!

Good luck to your brother though...