PDA

View Full Version : Beginning to look like last year......

garbanz
01-11-2011, 07:27
If it keeps snowing down south us earlybirds will have to delay our start. As much as Id hate that after all this buildup, planning and anticipation I cant see postholing on Springer with the distinct possibity of coming up lame.

Croft
01-11-2011, 08:19
Perhaps add "snowshoes" to the gear list for all January/February starts. I certainly could have used them going through the Smokies in early March last year. There was 3-4' of snow from Clingman's to Newfound Gap.

Bearpaw
01-11-2011, 09:01
Or just go back to the old tradition of starting around the first day of spring. I started March 24 and still walked through about 8 inches of snow on Tray Mountain.

Praha4
01-11-2011, 11:00
unless u have a serious deadline to finish early, just wait and start in April, you'll still get to Maine in plenty of time, and catch the rhododendron blooming at Roan Mtn and southern VA.

garbanz
01-11-2011, 11:35
I hear ya but Im retiring Feb 28th and thought it would be neat to jump right into my planned adventure W/O an intermission.

Lilred
01-11-2011, 11:49
Congratulations on your retirement!!! I can understand you wanting to get right to it, I'm the same way. But, if you wait till April 1st, it'll be a much prettier hike. More wildflowers, and like mentioned earlier, rhododendrums around Roan Mtn are amazing.

The weather is changing around here. I'm in Middle Tennessee and the last few years the media has dubbed us the 'new' tornado alley.

traildust
01-11-2011, 13:12
The later you start the more improved your chances would be to finish. Then again, if you have the time and funds to enjoy the towns along the way.....

garbanz
01-11-2011, 14:05
Ive got the gear to handle the cold but long stretches of deep snow would force me to hole up in some trailtown just like it did many early starters last year. And yes I want to see the mountain laurel bloom.
There are many pros and con of starting early or late. One reason I always favored an early start is to avoid some of the heat stress in the mid atlantic states by getting up that way earlier. Is there any any truth to this?

v5planet
01-11-2011, 14:12
I will vouch for the misery of the heat and humidity in the mid-Atlantic during the summer. But I also didn't like the mid-Atlantic, period...

Personally, I think you should start in March or April. Springer through southern VA is a wonderful stretch of trail, and is unmatched until you get into northern MA. Given that, starting later is a good idea, so you can actually enjoy it fully.

It also sets you up for getting into New England at the very end of summer or beginning of fall, when the bugs die, the air becomes crisp and leaves begin to turn.

v5planet
01-11-2011, 14:14
Also, if you're concerned about having a lag time between your retirement and starting the trail, why not go on a few short sections in the meantime? It could cement your faith in your gear and skills, and not obligate you to continue if the weather is particularly foul.

Lemni Skate
01-11-2011, 14:23
I always wanted to do it with my son. Start on March 21st (my birthday) and finish on September 24th (my son's birthday). That's plenty of time for an easy paced hike and some fun zeros. I do think that day will make for some very chilly nights in GA and NC/TN.

Jeff
01-11-2011, 14:46
There are many pros and con of starting early or late. One reason I always favored an early start is to avoid some of the heat stress in the mid atlantic states by getting up that way earlier. Is there any any truth to this?

It's pretty hard to beat the heat and humidity regardless of your NOBO start date. We were hot and sticky even here in Vermont during the heat waves of 2010.

garbanz
01-11-2011, 16:05
Also, if you're concerned about having a lag time between your retirement and starting the trail, why not go on a few short sections in the meantime? It could cement your faith in your gear and skills, and not obligate you to continue if the weather is particularly foul.

A viable alternative to leaving right after I retire! I could camp in Hoosier National Forrest, tweaking my gear, gaining some conditioning. Everything would still be prepping for Springer. Hopefully further towards spring the trail would be more enjoyable.

BrianLe
01-11-2011, 20:08
Jeff said:

"It's pretty hard to beat the heat and humidity regardless of your NOBO start date."

Other than walking the trail last year, I really don't know much about what's normal on the east coast, so bear that in mind when I say that a relatively early start last year (late Feb) meant I did not have much in the way of heat or humidity to deal with. Nor did I spend any time holed up in towns; definitely did take nero's and the occasional zero off trail, but wasn't forced off by weather.

From Clingman's Dome to Newfound Gap the trail wasn't do-able without snowshoes when I went through in March last year, so everyone was doing the roadwalk around (and postholing for a lot of that ...). But otherwise everything was do-able. There certainly were a lot of blowdowns; since last year was put forth as a tough winter for the south, hopefully there will be somewhat fewer blowdowns this year. But you do have to recognize that for quite a bit of the trip you're out before the trail crews come and clean things up (makes one appreciate those trail crews all the more ...).

Bottom line is that if you have some experience walking/living in cold and snow, I'd say go for it. Of course you do have to be prepared to get off trail if conditions warrant, but there was always space in the shelters, not that many people on the trail, yet "enough". Going into towns the stores weren't emptied by previous thru-hikers, and there was always space in hostels and so forth, so there are definitely some benefits to starting early.