PDA

View Full Version : Water purification - bleach

cold kettle
01-11-2011, 09:47
I have used tablets and filters, but have seen others on the trail using a homemade bleach solution. What is the 'formula'?

nitegaunt
01-11-2011, 09:53
It's just bleach. Here's one of many links that describes the process.

http://www.newjerusalem.com/PureWater.htm

couscous
01-11-2011, 10:07
You need to use regular bleach, not "Fresh Meadow" or other scented varieties.

4shot
01-11-2011, 10:38
You need to use regular bleach, not "Fresh Meadow" or other scented varieties.

make a nice lemonade type drink? You could save weight and not carry the powders?:eek:

wvgrinder
01-11-2011, 13:36
What do gangsta hikers treat their water with?

Blee-yotch! :D

runfifty
01-11-2011, 23:14
I recommend AquaMira. It's cheap, effective, lightweight and easy to use. From what I saw, the majority of thru hikers use it.

SurferNerd
01-11-2011, 23:18
I understand the bleach as a good alternative, but good grief it scares me. Why not consider pure iodine? Polar pure, its a small 3oz glass bottle with pure iodine. It'll last 20ish yrs of constant use. Meaning one bottle with cover the entire AT. It's what I hike with, and its a heck of a lot safer to me than pure bleach. http://www.greatoutdoorsdepot.com/polar-pure.html

cold kettle
01-12-2011, 09:34
I have not used Iodine, heard it had a "taste". I have used tablets, I think "Katahdin". But I thought the bleach would be an eaiser resupply and had heard that after several hours the taste completly disappeared.

And....if I used Fresh Meadow I wouldn't have to worry about morning breath in those crowded southern shelters;)

4shot
01-12-2011, 10:48
And....if I used Fresh Meadow I wouldn't have to worry about morning breath in those crowded southern shelters;)

after a couple of weeks you and your gear will smell so bad it will cover up the smell of bad breath!:) I used aqua mira FWIW - I noticed no taste and it was readily available but others did use bleach. The nice thing about hiking down south in early spring - plenty of water and many springs were I didn't bother to treat my water. (legal disclaimer - this post is not suggesting that any one else drink untreated water. The author of this post will not be held liable for damages related to stomach or water born ilnesses as a result of reading this post. Offer void where prohibited. See store for details. This post will expire October 15, 2011.)