PDA

View Full Version : Hot Springs to Waynesboro Va

Toolumpy
01-11-2011, 11:29
Just asking for some opinons here. I am planning on hiking this stretch either May 1st or May 13th going north. Would like to lighten load by not taking shelter except a large lightweight tarp. Planning on 30 days for this hike which is 19+ miles per day average. I know Trail Days is at Damascus and am trying to avoid crowds of people at shelters. Would I be better of getting to amascus before or after Trail Days? I want to stay in shelters a and use tarp only if necessary. I hiked from Springer to Hot Springs in 13 days so I think I should be Ok on mileage. Just trying to lighten my load. Any thoughts?

sparky2000
01-11-2011, 12:20
Springer to Hot Springs in 13 days...........stunning........nothing wrong with tarps. What do u have for a flooring? or will u wrap the tarp?

Cookerhiker
01-11-2011, 12:34
I wouldn't plan on staying in shelters much because there will be lots of thruhikers and with your long days, you'll be arriving at the shelters late.

Don't know much about tarps; temperature-wise I think you're generally OK but I expect you'll get wet some nights.

Toolumpy
01-11-2011, 15:34
Well I usually carry a hammock and have never taken just a tarp. I was going to take my hammock because it is easier to just walk off trail and stealth camp as I will be last to the shelters. Am usually in camp by 7pm. I am not one to hang around the shelters and am usually gone at daylight so maybe I will just have to carry the weight. I'm sure there will be rain as is normal.

bigcranky
01-11-2011, 15:48
You'll get rain in May. Tarps are fine, and provide good rain protection. Might have some bugs that time of year.

If it were me I'd take the hammock and the tarp.

Blissful
01-11-2011, 17:30
Springer to Hot Springs in 13 days...........stunning........

You're not kidding.

Too bad you have to rush it.

Anyway you will contend with plenty of hikers then. So your own shelter is a good idea, just in case. Could be cold too, as you have the Roan Highlands early on.

Toolumpy
01-12-2011, 15:52
My wife tells me to slow down but it's pushing myself that I like the most. Still took almost 400 pictures and several videos in 13 days. Also climbed every fire tower there was. My wife says I am anti social which I disagree with, I just really enjoy walking. Even my normal walk speed has always been fast. Never have been able to sit too long. Thanx for all the opinions. Happy hiking to all.

10-K
01-12-2011, 16:03
My wife tells me to slow down but it's pushing myself that I like the most. Still took almost 400 pictures and several videos in 13 days. Also climbed every fire tower there was. My wife says I am anti social which I disagree with, I just really enjoy walking. Even my normal walk speed has always been fast. Never have been able to sit too long. Thanx for all the opinions. Happy hiking to all.

Wow... sounds very familiar.