PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Thru Hike

Corrigan
01-11-2011, 12:23
Hey all,

I'm gonna thru hike the MST this Spring and just wondered if anyone else will be out there? My start date is May 1, however I may actually begin a few days earlier. I'll be going from the coast to Clingmans.....Taba, I just sent you an envelope and 20 bucks dude...don't let me down brotha!

Taba
01-11-2011, 16:41
I will send the Manual out as soon as the snow clears and I can get to the Post Office. All of my contact info is in the Manual and available to you anytime you need a question answered or if you need help finding something before and during your hike
Taba

gunner76
01-11-2011, 22:20
Let me know when you are coming thru the DownEast section (Cedar Island to Bettie) as I live in Otway in case you need a place to get water ect or just a big backyard to camp out in.

If you are a hammock camper I have great spot in the back yard to hang from

Corrigan
01-12-2011, 14:24
thanks to both of you!

TABA, no rush at all man and I appreciate all your hard work.

Gunner, I will for sure. Thanks again

Corrigan
01-12-2011, 19:31
TABA - I forgot to mention in my letter that I'll be heading East to West. Hopefully you'll see this before you receive my letter..... thanks again

Walessp
01-15-2011, 17:38
I live in Greensboro and Ill be out there from time-to-time section hiking. Always interested in having a hiking buddy and would be glad to provide assistance if needed in the GSO area.

Outlaw

Taba
01-16-2011, 03:32
Hey Olokun, just some info about the Outer Banks and all the way through the Croatan National Forest, the mosquitos can be bad in season. Cedar Island is known by the local as "Mosquito Island." Carry bug spray.

Corrigan
01-17-2011, 14:24
haha will do. I appreciate the heads up....as long as it isn't worse than Paris Island I'll be ok. That was just miserable=) From what I keep reading dogs seem to be the most "dangerous" obstacle on this trail. You carried spray of some sort?

Oh and do you know where or if there is a profile of the elevation along the trail?

Taba
01-17-2011, 17:27
There will dogs on the MST road walk. The best thing that I can tell you is to stand your ground, don't show fear, face them until you get by them, and if you have to threaten them with a hiking pole. Most of them will turn and run away but some will still continue to bark and get close. I was not attacked by any of them but did have to hold firm. Do not feel bad if you have to hit, kick or spray a dog that is chasing you in the middle of the street. Some owners will sit on their porch and watch their dogs as they try to run at you. You shouldn't have too many problems and you should still enjoy your time out there. If you feel better carrying a can of spray then do so but you won't need it in the woods and mountain sections.

I don't know if there are any elevation profiles but the trend for the MST is to be above the Blue Ridge Parkway. You will summit a climb then go down to cross the parkway and go back up to another knob. Plan on averaging 10 -12 miles in the mountains and 15 to 20 on the road. The elevation profile would only be good in the mountains anyway and that is only 300 miles or so.

Corrigan
01-18-2011, 17:55
Great. I'm sure I'll have more questions later.....thanks for the quick response!

Corrigan
02-26-2011, 20:02
Well due to unforeseen circumstances I'm going to be able to hit the trail next week. I've already got my trip booked to Europe for vacation and Michigan to see family in April so I'll have to step off the trail for a bit but I'm excited to beat the mosquito's! I think I'm going to go ahead and walk from Nags Head to Raleigh......when I return end of April I'll finish Raleigh to Clingmans....hope to see some of y'all out there...

gunner76
02-27-2011, 14:43
Just ran into Taba on the Neusiok trail this morning. He was getting a late start.