PDA

View Full Version : Albert Mountain

steve hiker
12-26-2004, 15:41
I'm considering doing US64 to Helen this week, but am concerned about ice on Albert Mountain. From what I've read, Albert Mnt is very steep and is practically rock climbing in places. Anyone care to comment on the advisability of hiking this area with ice and melting ice? I have Ice Walkers but no crampons.

SGT Rock
12-26-2004, 15:45
Not that particular area, but what I found a little north of there last weekend was ice, snow, and frozen ground; but the kind of crunchy frozen ground with plenty of traction. I didn't need anything like crampons except maybe in one or two places so small that I was able to work around them. Ice was generally found on the trail above 3000', and I as I remember, Albert Mountain is above 3,000'

Hope that helps.

Rocks 'n Roots
12-26-2004, 15:52
Should be a mild warming trend this week keeping you out of the worst ice glades...

neo
12-26-2004, 16:09
that was a fun short climb for me and my youngest son july 2001
hank was 7 then.:sun neo

max patch
12-26-2004, 17:05
if its bad (and i doubt that it is) you can always take the forest service road that goes around albert.

Drala Hiker
12-26-2004, 17:20
Good chance there will be ice on the N side of Albert, as it gets no sun, but S side should have enough sun to make it passable. You may want to take the bypass on the FS road around to the S side, and climb from there. Sunny weather is forecast for the area through the week, should be good hiking and nice views.

Cedar Tree
12-26-2004, 18:56
You gotta love Albert Mountain. If you love it, it will love you.
I loved it both times.
Cedar Tree

Repeat
12-26-2004, 23:47
I have been told that the forrest sevice road to Albert Mnt is closed, due to a "slide" which occured during hurricaine Ivan. I am not sure of the exact location of the slide, just that the road is closed.

hungryhowie
12-27-2004, 00:09
I'm considering doing US64 to Helen this week, but am concerned about ice on Albert Mountain. From what I've read, Albert Mnt is very steep and is practically rock climbing in places. Anyone care to comment on the advisability of hiking this area with ice and melting ice? I have Ice Walkers but no crampons.

The climb up Albert really isn't all that bad. Sure, it becomes a legend for green northbounders, not even 100 miles into the hike, but its a really short climb. Most of the climb is on dirt trail with waterbars making "steps". The last 10 feet of the climb zig-zags through and up a small rock ravine, and this is what some say is something like rock climbing...

I would advise you to be just as cautious with this section as you would be with the rest of the trail. I wouldn't not go because of ice, just exercise caution.

-howie

ed bell
12-27-2004, 00:27
I hiked in that area several years ago. I found that ice was a much bigger problem on the east side of Big Butt, a mile or so south of Albert Mountain. This is a level run of trail, but it cuts along the steep side of the mountain. Lots of runoff across the rocks. Very dicey at times, but only for about a tenth of a mile. Very cold that week also, so warming trend should help.

Ridge
12-28-2004, 09:49
You are not going to have any problems, unless an unexpected blizard hits. You can carry some of the small strap on cleats for ice if you want. They are cheap and not bulky. I got a pair at REI years ago. Crampons not necessary.

lobster
12-28-2004, 12:19
It's called "Fat Albert Mountain" because most people are fat when they start. That's why the climb seems hard even though it is an extremely quick pitch!