PDA

View Full Version : To Mail Drop or not to Mail Drop?

ecohen
01-11-2011, 15:35
It seems very possible to thru-hike without a single mail drop, however, I feel irresponsible and like a poor planner if I go that route. Also, I am a vegetarian and I'm concerned if I will find enough dried veggies along the way. What do you guys recommend?

Lone Wolf
01-11-2011, 15:37
It seems very possible to thru-hike without a single mail drop, however, I feel irresponsible and like a poor planner if I go that route. Also, I am a vegetarian and I'm concerned if I will find enough dried veggies along the way. What do you guys recommend?

i never did mail drops for food. but i ain't a vegetarian either

Snoring Sarge
01-11-2011, 16:10
Considering the postage cost of shipping food could that money cover the additional cost of buying food on the "trail"?

garlic08
01-11-2011, 16:19
I am a vegetarian and did not make any food drops on the AT.

I also did not cook, and carried as much raw veg as I could, along with raw and dried fruit and grain products that did not need cooking--rolled oats, breads, crackers, cookies, ramen. Cheese, nuts, and peanut butter provided the fat. Instant potatoes were a good easy meal, too.

Luddite
01-11-2011, 16:23
There are a couple of places where mail drops will help, Fontana Dam for instance. Do you need dried veggies? I'm a vegetarian myself and occasionally bring freeze dried veggies with me, but I usually just buy fresh veggies and eat them the first night out. A bounce box is another option. You could buy freeze dried food in advance and just keep mailing ahead to the next town.

Check out this site...http://www.harmonyhousefoods.com/Backpacking-Kit-18-ZIP-Pouches_p_1866.html

Sly
01-11-2011, 16:26
If you're able to buy in bulk you should be able to cover the costs in postage by your savings.

Of course, it's best to use places that are open 24/7 like hostels and motels for your drop if able but, if you take the PO's schedule into consideration, you won't have much of a problem there. Just be aware you may need to stick around waiting for the mail or the PO to open.

One big advantage of doing mail drops is being assured food later in your hike. It may be a good idea to put a $20 PO money order in the box too so you'll have cash when others are broke or running out.

Jack Tarlin
01-11-2011, 16:51
This subject has been discussed here before on many occasions; try a Search using the terms "Re-Supply" or 'Maildrops", etc.

Even when one is on a specialized diet (veggie, vegan, kosher, etc.) in most cases, people seem to do OK on their hikes while buying food en route.

There really aren't that mnay places on the A.T. where one needs to (or perhaps should) think about sending a box of food ahead of time.

In the "Articles" section of this website, there's lots of information that may prove useful to your planning, especially as telling you where many re-supply places are located, how much food is required for each stretch of the Trail, etc.

garbanz
01-12-2011, 08:20
At first I was against mail drops---didnt want to be on a schedule of picking them up. But since I like to eat healthy I started dehydrating my own veggies and adding to couscous and other bulk lightweight rehydrateable high energy foods. Dehydrated food will be a small part of what I vacuum pack in bulk. Now Im thinking Im gonna do mail drops not only for the nutrition aspect but more importantly the food I mail will be considerably LIGHTER than any combination of foods I can buy in trailtowns. Not everybodys gonna like what I eat but it will be save pack weight and AYCE places will provide variety inbetween.

Blissful
01-12-2011, 19:06
At first I was against mail drops---didnt want to be on a schedule of picking them up. But since I like to eat healthy I started dehydrating my own veggies and adding to couscous and other bulk lightweight rehydrateable high energy foods. Dehydrated food will be a small part of what I vacuum pack in bulk. Now Im thinking Im gonna do mail drops not only for the nutrition aspect but more importantly the food I mail will be considerably LIGHTER than any combination of foods I can buy in trailtowns. Not everybodys gonna like what I eat but it will be save pack weight and AYCE places will provide variety inbetween.

That's the way I looked at it. I supplemented in towns for cheese, flat bread etc, but found my own choice of food much healthier for me. And I had good energy and recovery on my recent hike and able to put in pretty good miles.

FatherTime09
01-12-2011, 22:24
Granted, I was only on the trail for 6 weeks or so, but I felt I over did it with the maildrops. It got too expensive, which was part of the reason I couldn't hike longer. I was also concerned about getting quality food (also vegetarian) so I bought a bunch of stuff in bulk before I left (nuts, seeds, dried fruits, brown rice & sprouted grain pastas, sprouted brown rice protein powder, sprouted barley carb powder, greens powder...) I spent like $900 on food before I left, not realizing how much it would cost to send. (Still had a bunch of food left when I got home though thankfully!)
Anyways, I don't think it's realistic to hold too high of a standard for food when you're hiking a trail for 5-6 months in places you've never been before. You're not going to get everything you want, but you'll manage. I started buying in stores the last few weeks, carrying fresh food out for the first couple days like others said. You can definitely get your typical GORP stuff in almost any town.
If I were to do it again (hopefully I will), I'd probably just get the powders maildropped so I knew I was getting good nutrition, but leave the bulk food to buy in town.
So, my suggestions if anyone's interested in the powders:
Sprouted Brown Rice Protein & Sprouted Barley from www.sunwarrior.com (http://www.sunwarrior.com)
and my greens powder of choice is www.bokusuperfood.com (http://www.bokusuperfood.com)
My routine was barley in the AM for carbs/energy, greens+barley mid-day for nutrition/energy, and protein in the PM for muscle recovery.
Good luck!

Ron Haven
01-13-2011, 01:53
If anyone is intrested in how to say vegetarian in the Indian language???:-?

the answer is ::::bad hunter :rolleyes:

IronGutsTommy
01-14-2011, 17:58
if i was a vegan i guess id mail drop. I started off not doing mail drops, then bounce boxed a couple times and found it more cost/trouble than it was worth. between having to try to arrive into towns early enough to hit up the post office and finding my cravings not fitting what was all the rage weeks let alone months ago made me decide not to ever mail drop

Sonno
01-15-2011, 19:22
If anyone is intrested in how to say vegetarian in the Indian language???:-?

the answer is ::::bad hunter :rolleyes:

Made me lol :D

mweinstone
01-15-2011, 22:19
carry freash whole foods
never eat "backpacking food"
never change your diet to suit hiking
change your hike to suit your diet.
take time to hitch to the good stores
carry the weight and bulk of freash foods
cook without regaurd to time and fuel
carry the food and fuel needed to eat as you do most any day at home.
this includes allways haveing:
cheese, meats,veggies, fruits, breads, cake, cookies, candy, beans, pasta, butter,pancakes,spices,fish,milk, eggs,salads , nuts.
heres how. lets start with the most commonly feared hiking situation.the smokeys for a vegatarian with only freash foods obtained without mail drop .i could do a kosher vegetarian , but a plain vegatarian will work for this demonstration.
squish together two bags of bagels under your foot untill its the thickness of about 3 bagles. strap this on the outside of your pack.take an exlarge jar of peanut butter and a jar of nuttella and put them in your pack.into your foodbag, put 4 boxes of spagettie or 8 boxes of coosecoose, or 3 lbs of rice or beans.tortillas. bring your spice kit. add freash garlic and coffie and oats.now your haveing garlic and peanut sauce spaggetti or beans or rice burritos and oats with nutella and peanutbutter nuttella bagels and coffie and nuttella. this is a simple diet that simply avoids mac and cheese dinners and instant coffie and a no bread diet and is good and light and fun. carry enough fuel.a meat eater can add pancakes and bacon and eggs and milk and cheese and canned fish all without useing dryed . this is how i allways hike. i call other hikers, envelope people. weight, fuel and time are not to be feared. speedy, conveinent, lightweight, hiker specific diets are a matter of perspective.

mweinstone
01-15-2011, 22:27
a vegan can simply hike with heads of cabbage, raisins and oil and viniger and nuts and apples and carrots and squash and brewers yeast and spirullina. and make salads till the end of time. nothing is harder or easyer to pack in and eat. eating , being a nessesity, cannot be put on a scale of hard or easy. only good or bad. for a dedicated person loveing stuff like spirulina and brewers yeast, these things can be gotten from home in drops only very few, very conveinent times since they are light powders used spareingly.same with malts and any weird crap you need. a salad three times a day, when made to containe complete proteens, need only be suplemented by snacks and drinks.maby some yeba mate ?lol.

mweinstone
01-15-2011, 22:38
on the other hand, putting together the lightest diet that contains the daily requirments of nutrition rules out enjoyment. but lets look at what can be done in the exstreem.

ramman and gorp can carry a fit hiker to towns where resturant foods can augment a complete diet. there is no simpler lighter combination than these three.

but some arent so willing or fit for that tourure. the delux ramman diet only adds hard salami and coffie singles and packets of oats.

Fog Horn
01-15-2011, 22:42
Peanut butter and Nutella bagels sound delicious.

Am I the only one looking forward to the thru hike diet because I can eat all the things that I love that I deny myself normally?

Bubble Toes
01-16-2011, 15:23
On our next hike I am considering mail drops. This is ironic because after my hike I swore I'd never do a maildrop again, on the AT it is just not needed. I wasn't an official veg then, but might as well have been. I think it actually might be harder to always have meat on the trail. Three things changed my mind...
1) Boston and Cubby's CDT and PCT journals - the end of each journal tells why they loved mail drops
2) I've become more selective about my food - I still cringe at the thought of having to eat Sunbelt granola bars again.
3) I've done a hike - I already know exactly what I eat on the trail, when we had to do a maildrop to Monson, it only took a few minutes to come up with a list. I had a bounce box, so we were going to every other PO anyways.

It will cost more to do maildrops then to buy along the way. The biggest mistake I saw was people with maildrops for too many days. You will resent carrying 8 days of food when all of the town buyers are only carrying 4. Do more drops or take 1/2 out and bounce it ahead. And don't pack oatmeal.

maybe clem
01-16-2011, 16:38
I'm a vegetarian. I bought about half of my food at resupply points but they don't always have much of a variety that's suitable for vegetarians. Keep in mind you can hit a resupply after a crowd of thrus have been there and the only things left will be a box of saltines and a couple of Slim Jims. Will that keep you going for the next 70 miles?

One of the things I included my maildrops was protein powder. Vegetarian sources of protein can be a real challenge to find and that's not something you want to skimp on while you're thruhiking.

If your concern is having a variety of healthy vegetarian food for your hike it's best to select it ahead of time and mail it to yourself.

RockDoc
01-17-2011, 20:24
The common reality is that a lot of hikers eat poorly and meagerly while on the trail, and then gorge in towns. Yes you can do the whole AT this way. The restaurants and lodges are "loaded for bear" for you to eat there.

In fact I saw very few exceptions.

It wasn't like this years ago. You were much more on your own then.

freemarie
01-22-2011, 19:12
We are doing mostly mail drops on our thru for the amount of variety it offers. If you have access to a dehydrator the possibilities are endless. If you don't have a dehydrator, there are great hiking recipes out there that can be very easy to make/prepare to package to send. www.trailcooking.com (http://www.trailcooking.com) has great recipes that you can have ready to throw on a camp stove (once prepped at home-and by prep it can mean throwing ingredients into a ziploc) This can provide a lot of nutrition and variety. Buying in bulk may cover the cost of shopping.

freemarie
01-23-2011, 20:40
shipping****

samwise
01-23-2011, 23:14
I thru-hiked vegan in 2009 and bought most of my food along the way. I had a handful of boxes in the south and a few more in new england. In my boxes i mostly packed some good packaged dinner-type things like indian meals, and "supplement" type foods. Not all actual vitamin supplements but things i liked such as raw food bars, nutritional yeast, emergen'c packets, gorp, and sometimes my mom baked me vegan cookies... :)

I had two friends who bought lots of dehydrated or freezedried veggies beforehand and then packaged and mailed it all to themselves. One of them literally bought #10 cans of veggies on amazon.com.

Personally, while I was planning for my hike I decided that I liked the idea of living on mostly what I could find along the way rather than relying on the post office. In hindsight I was happy with that decision, but was also happy to have boxes cause I knew I would like what was in them and didn't have to worry if the grocery store-brand semi-sweet chocolate chips were vegan or not...

jersey joe
01-23-2011, 23:18
If you have someone at home who can send food boxes, it makes a lot more sense to go this route. Buying in bulk can pretty much offset shipping costs.

takethisbread
01-25-2011, 16:08
are Snickers vegan? just eat those,

Jack Tarlin
01-25-2011, 19:25
Like a lot of similar candy cars, Snickers contain things like milk, milkfat, eggs, and other stuff. Sorry, they're not remotely vegan.

AmyJanette
01-26-2011, 15:43
I'd like to do maildrops, but I'm not so sure about mailing food across the border...Anyone had any experience with this? I know that if the products are originally from the USA and it is obvious (still in original packaging with USA on it, etc), they are usually let back across, but what about bulk dehydrated foods?

Luddite
01-26-2011, 16:02

Snickers have dairy ingredients for sure and I think they have egg whites too, so they are definitely not vegan.

Suttree
02-03-2011, 23:28
I'd like to do maildrops, but I'm not so sure about mailing food across the border...Anyone had any experience with this? I know that if the products are originally from the USA and it is obvious (still in original packaging with USA on it, etc), they are usually let back across, but what about bulk dehydrated foods?

I very much discourage maildrops if you are mailing across the border. It is impossible to predict how long it will take for your package to arrive and the probability of a lost package increases significantly. I've been held up in trail towns waiting for gear to arrive, and have had packages held for weeks at the border mailing gear home. It is very easy to resupply as you go on the AT; if you have a special diet, it is no trouble to prepare maildrops in the larger trail towns

Enjoy your hike and minimize the frustration involved in complicated logistics.

It is

Jack Tarlin
02-04-2011, 15:46
Suttree made sense. The other good reasons to put your drops together once you're here and while en route is you'll have a much better idea of your daily needs, how much you'll need, and what you'll actually want to eat. There'll be much less overpacking and waste. Also, you may well get food ideas from observing what other hikers are eating. And if you put drops together at major trail towns/supermarkets and then send a few of them ahead of you, the short-distance postage costs may well be cheaper than mailing everything from home, too.

Ron Haven
02-05-2011, 01:05
Jack Tarlin had a great resupply and mail drop list. If you are sending mail drops, keep in mind post offices are closed half day Saturday and all day Sunday and holidays. Motels, hostels, and most outfitters are open 7 days a week. My addresses are listed for Hiawassee Budget Inn and our motels in Franklin. You can send mail drops to my places free of charge. You can get your drops from 7am to 11pm 7 days a week.:)

AUhiker90
02-05-2011, 02:16
ate alot of honey buns, snickers,pop tarts on the AT. My next hike i will try to do maildrops of good healthy foods now that i know whats the good stuff and everyone is jealous of the hiker that has the legit dehydrated stuff their support team is sending them.

the_iceman
02-15-2011, 21:37
Once you clear Standing Bear there is no need to mail drop until Glencliff to get your cold weather gear back.

mweinstone
02-15-2011, 21:56
the finest maildrops on earth are the prestigius line of sofisticated maildrops by matthewski. MATDROPS come in beef,hippie and vegan and offer the most discriminating snacker delecacys from the inner city.

THE FUDGE PACKER simply fudge and beef jerkey from the finest sources
THE GREEN HORNET spirulina,green magma, wheat grass,bee pollon and ginsing
THE SILVER BULLET licorice, peppermint,ginger snaps,mini doughnuts and chocolate
for the complete list of over 1000 matdrops send a dollar to matdrops.mat

Maple_Sky
02-15-2011, 23:08
Peanut butter and Nutella bagels sound delicious.

Am I the only one looking forward to the thru hike diet because I can eat all the things that I love that I deny myself normally?

I definitely am with you on that one! I watch what I eat pretty carefully, so I really relish my Spamcaroni and cheese on backpacking trips! There is no way I could eat on a regular basis all the fat and carbs I allow myself while backpacking!