PDA

View Full Version : Solar question

Chubbs4U
01-11-2011, 17:57
I have recently started getting into the AT. I have read a bunch of books and hopefully one day soon I will take the trek myself. Im curious on some type of solar power. Ive been looking into it and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what to get. Havent really found anything that I fell in love with yet. Maybe someone has some experience with a certain product or can refer/discourage me from getting the wrong thing. Thanks in advance.

breakall
01-11-2011, 18:03
What is it you're trying to power out on the trail?

leaftye
01-11-2011, 18:03
It depends on what you want charged.

JaxHiker
01-12-2011, 10:49
I always have my Blackberry with me so I can send updates to friends/family and make the occasional blog update. For my last hike I picked up the Solio Rocksta on a whim. I did the initial charge in the motel with the AC adapter. I discovered on the trail that it a) doesn't have a large enough battery to fully re-charge the Blackberry and b) you have a better chance of hell freezing over than getting the device to recharge itself on the AT.

It's incredibly picky about the amount of light it takes to kick in the charging circuit. Having it strapped to my pack didn't do jack. Heck, after the hike I've tried having it on the dash while making a long trip. If the slightest cloud obscures the panel it stops charging. I don't know that I'll bother taking it again.

On the same hike I also took the iGo charger. I already use the iGo in both vehicles and when I found the AA charger that uses the same tips I thought I'd give it a shot. I had mediocre results with that as well. The downside is that you have the added weight of AA batteries. If it had proven to be more reliable I'd take it again. Now I'm not so sure. I should probably do more testing with it.

So from my point of view I still have yet to find a reliable means of recharging even small devices.

Chubbs4U
01-13-2011, 07:21
prob a cell phone, or a smartphone.

Wise Old Owl
01-13-2011, 08:13
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60271

pictures and wire diagram 1.3 watt panels
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1075847#post1075847

Chubbs4U
01-13-2011, 17:13
was shown the powermonkey eXplorer. Anyone ever used this item?

Chubbs4U
01-16-2011, 05:35
sorry guys but bump.

Mr Boston
01-16-2011, 07:32
I am planning on trying the energizer xp4000.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875998388&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Cell+Phones+Accessories-_-ENERGIZER-_-75998388

I have some more testing to do but so far I like it. I will update you all soon.

Mr Boston
01-16-2011, 07:32

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875998388&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Cell+Phones+Accessories-_-ENERGIZER-_-75998388

I have some more testing to do but so far I like it. I will update you all soon.

Mr Boston
01-16-2011, 07:35

It's not solar, and I'll need to find somewhere in town to charge it. So far it has outperformed 3 different solar chargers.

10-K
01-16-2011, 08:29
You'll be able to plug into the grid every 2-3 days - no need for a solar charger, it's just something else to break or get wet.

If you're really worried buy an extended battery or an extra battery for your device instead of a solar charger. You can't do that with an Apple product (iphone/ipod) unfortunately.

shelterbuilder
01-16-2011, 10:44
Solar power is wonderful...within its limitations! Most solar chargers tend to shut down when obscurred by ANYTHING (clouds, branches, leaves, etc) and your chances of walking under obstructions is FAR greater than if you're sitting in camp somewhere.

Solar chargers are probably best left at home, UNLESS you are hiking above tree-line, or are camped in a location that has plentiful sunshine for most of the day. Power conservation is a better bet - turn off your devices unless you're using them, and plug into the power grid when you get to town.

Wise Old Owl
01-16-2011, 20:42
SB that was the OLD panels, the new ones I am posting will charge on a cloudy day if there are two.

shelterbuilder
01-16-2011, 23:42
SB that was the OLD panels, the new ones I am posting will charge on a cloudy day if there are two.
Amorphous or mono/poly-crystalline? There does seem to be a functional difference between the two...but there also seems to be a trade-off in terms of power generation potential. (No, I'm not an electrical engineer, nor do I play one on TV:eek:!)

leaftye
01-17-2011, 00:39
People talk about how they have a trouble getting their gps to work in the long green tunnel. I doubt a solar charger would have better luck.

Dirty Nails
01-17-2011, 01:42
I try to use devices with common batteries. For instance, I use a headlamp that runs on 2032 lithium, coin-style batteries. It may not last 100 hours, but I can carry several sets of spares that are just grams. And they are available everywhere.

Lithium is the answer for me. Several spares weigh less that any charger, and they work in cold weather.

I also found a small camera that uses the same battery as my cell phone. I can swap the batts from one device to the other, and carry one charger for both.
I have one batt in the camera, one in the phone, and still have a third as a spare.

I've never had a problem on the A/T (including the 100mi wilderness) because I could recharge every few days. But of coarse I am no data/blog junkie.

Chubbs4U
01-17-2011, 02:54
http://www.amazon.com/F15-300-Folding-Solar-Panel-Charger/dp/B001QKWTCK/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=IQLHVCI6L3XVB&colid=3F1YJHJ0W3JEK

http://www.amazon.com/PowerFilm-USB-AA-Solar-Charger/dp/B001RMBHMK/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3BURZR3GVC724&colid=3F1YJHJ0W3JEK

http://www.amazon.com/Brunton-Solaris-Foldable-Solar-Array/dp/B001CZDJIM/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I27B3MVLI3SV3J&colid=3F1YJHJ0W3JEK

those are ones I was debating about but think I decided on this one...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00452EO7Y/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=AU8KF031TC39C

Ive read a bunch of people saying its not needed. If that is also the case i dont really need one but would like maybe to try one if it could help. Thanks for responses. Also since were on a subject of gear. Any good ideas for water filter? was looking into this one, it got great reviews. Thanks

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007U00YE/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

leaftye
01-17-2011, 03:00
I used the Powerfilm.

Chubbs4U
01-17-2011, 03:51
leaftye, what are the plus and minuses for it. I think with that one to charge a phone/iphone you need the batteries in it? What do you think of it? What could be better? Worse? Thanks

mkmangold
01-17-2011, 04:35
Solar chargers are probably best left at home, UNLESS you are hiking above tree-line, or are camped in a location that has plentiful sunshine for most of the day. Power conservation is a better bet - turn off your devices unless you're using them, and plug into the power grid when you get to town.

I agree. Most of your cellphone's power is spent looking for "cells" along the way. I suggest that you take the battery out of your phone every night and don't replace it until the next night when your hike is done, after you've had something to eat, and then only when you feel the need to stay in touch with someone.

leaftye
01-17-2011, 05:26
leaftye, what are the plus and minuses for it. I think with that one to charge a phone/iphone you need the batteries in it? What do you think of it? What could be better? Worse? Thanks

I never tested it, but I don't believe it charges the batteries fully. I think it stops after it gets somewhere between 1000-1500 mah. Fortunately that lasts me a very long time (thanks to experience) and it only takes a few hours of charging in good sunlight.

It needs to be strapped down. It's long and light enough that it will flap around. A few micro biners and shockcord should do nicely.

The AA's must be fully charged for it to charge via USB. The documentation doesn't say this. I found out after I contacted Powerfilm. They were good to deal with.

In retrospect, I wouldn't bother with charging my cell phone. I'm not sure that ever really worked. I'd be better served with the 4 AA unit.

Wise Old Owl
01-17-2011, 08:17
Amorphous or mono/poly-crystalline? There does seem to be a functional difference between the two...but there also seems to be a trade-off in terms of power generation potential. (No, I'm not an electrical engineer, nor do I play one on TV:eek:!)

Poly Crystalline, even on a cold day with a low sun they work.

People talk about how they have a trouble getting their gps to work in the long green tunnel. I doubt a solar charger would have better luck.

1st generation and budget models, new high end have a better antenna.

There was an old thread three years ago where a WB member cracked the size vs weight required to do this. I followed thru with his post. If one panel won't do- use two if you have a iphones or other guzzlers.

Wise Old Owl
01-17-2011, 08:24
Folks If you are talking about the solio or petal panels they are small and I would agree to leave it at home. The Bruton which might be out of manufacture delivered more watts, my home brew is twice that of the solio and very light. 1.3 watts is awesome for the trail.

I don't have to sit here and try and convince you. Either you are in or on the fence, I have provided to the WB the information you need to do this on a budget, UL, and a great project. You could not do it cheaper. Arguing if a $25 panel works or dosn't work due to leaves when the rest of the companies are above $90? - Please, we have better things to do. If its that much of a problem I will buy the panels from the guy glue the parts on and sell them back at $90 with a 12v converter for your phone.

jeremesh
01-17-2011, 08:44
1st generation and budget models, new high end have a better antenna.

I have a Delorme PN-40 and have never lost signal while hiking in SNP, even down in the bottom of the valleys.

Wise Old Owl
01-17-2011, 09:07
Same for me once I got the Oregon series, the Vista got confused in open hilly country.

JaxHiker
01-17-2011, 12:01
I agree. Most of your cellphone's power is spent looking for "cells" along the way. I suggest that you take the battery out of your phone every night and don't replace it until the next night when your hike is done, after you've had something to eat, and then only when you feel the need to stay in touch with someone.

Unfortunately turning it off may not be enough. My Blackberry kept turning itself back on while I was hiking last weekend and I'd realize it too late. Two options I see are a) turn off cellular and wi-fi (if applicable) so the phone is on if needed (I forgot my camera battery in the charger at home so I was using the camera phone) or b) pull the battery. The downside with pulling the battery is that it takes a long time (at least my BB does) to come back to life.

Wise Old Owl
01-17-2011, 21:20
Jax its worth the weight - pull the battery.