PDA

View Full Version : Summer sleeping on the trail

JHambone44
01-11-2011, 21:06
I am wondering if someone can tell me how warm summertime gets at night on the trail. I'm trying to decide whether to go with a 50 degree sleeping bag or if just using a silk liner will be enough. Basically just wondering if anyone can give me an average nighttime temp. Thanks in advance!

George
01-11-2011, 21:15
40-50 is good for the summer, rainy or windy nights can be cool in any month

Press
01-11-2011, 21:56
You can get by with just the liner in mid-summer in Va. It gets hot as hell here even on the AT.

Cookerhiker
01-11-2011, 23:26
Mid-summer is pretty hot not only in VA but MD, PA, NJ, NY, and CT - the Trail in all these latter states is at a low elevation. If you're in a tent, I'd think a liner should be sufficient.

TheCheek
01-11-2011, 23:39
I agree with the others who say a silk liner is enough but would add that I am assuming you wear thermals to sleep in at a minimum. Shorts and t shirt with a silk liner will probably leave you really cold even on a 65 degree night.

LIhikers
01-11-2011, 23:46
I could tell you about a couple of August nights in Vermont that were in the 30s, that my wife and I were totally unprepared for, but I don't want to scare you off :D

fredmugs
01-12-2011, 09:28
Define summertime. Define trail. I mostly hammock and in the "summertime" on the "trail" I don't bring anything. Just hop right in.

Do you plan to sleep in a tent? A shelter? Something else? Where are you going to be hiking? Vague generic questions will not yield an appropriate response.

Blissful
01-12-2011, 09:30
Really depends on where you are at trail-wise and teh elevation. Personally I would never just take a silk liner only. My Marmot pounder at 40 worked great.

JHambone44
01-12-2011, 12:55
Summertime = the time between spring and fall
Trail = the Appalachian Trail (thought that was a given on an AT forum)

Yes, I will be sleeping in a tent. I will be doing a thru-hike, so I will be in at least mid-Virginia or north of that when it gets hotter. Hope that is less vague.

To everyone else who could figure out what was meant by "summertime" and "the trail," thanks for your responses, they helped me out.

Cookerhiker
01-12-2011, 13:22

Yes, I will be sleeping in a tent. I will be doing a thru-hike, so I will be in at least mid-Virginia or north of that when it gets hotter. Hope that is less vague.

To everyone else who could figure out what was meant by "summertime" and "the trail," thanks for your responses, they helped me out.

Don't be so hard on FredMugs. You didn't say you were thruhiking. You posted this in the "General" category instead of a more-specific forum such as "Thruhiking Qs and As." The "trail" conditions vary tremendously throughout the entirety of the summer. It makes a substantial difference if you are talking NJ in July vs. NH in early September.

max patch
01-12-2011, 13:26
I bought a bedsheet in Gettysburg during the heat of the summer and mailed my bag ahead. Worked great until a cold spell came thru. Wouldn't do that again; stick with the summer weight bag.

bus
01-12-2011, 14:29
Get the marmot pounder and upgrade up north if need be...but, an early start sown south may get chilly. So many variables to give a straight finite answer of average temps.

On forums, when you ask for an average temp for the trail be ready for a melting pot of answers to help you figure that average out.

It was comfortable at night in June on the Roan Highlands, but, chilly in Florida, a month before that.

I think weather channel and accuweather websites have section sthat list historical temps etc. I think on weather channel it was on the forecast page. Maybe, using the info on those websites, make a matrix of avg temps for the part of the trail you hope to be at at a given time.

Plus factor in the Floirda skin factor in regards to waking up to unexpected snowfall in the Smokies or whites...

sbhikes
01-12-2011, 14:50
If you were thru-hiking the PCT I'd say bring a 20 degree bag. But even I understood what you were asking.

Wow, is it really that hot on the AT?

Majortrauma
01-12-2011, 14:59
Most areas have their local weather set up so you can see historical averages at that zip code. Works great for me and my planning.

HiKen2011
01-12-2011, 15:00
If you were thru-hiking the PCT I'd say bring a 20 degree bag. But even I understood what you were asking.

It is, really, in sections, GA to CT in summer.

bruchko
01-12-2011, 15:06

Might want to thicken up your skin a bit if you wanna enjoy this forum. That'll help you on the trail too... LOL

hillsanddales3
01-12-2011, 15:10
Consider a summer quilt. Very lightweight and versatile, with ventilation any time you like: just kick a leg out. It'll get you by if you encounter cooler temps. When you get closer to Vermont, exchange with your heavier bag from your bounce.

Ender
01-12-2011, 15:20
It really depends on the night. Some nights even a silk liner will be too much. The very next night, you'll be wanting that 40* bag. I have had that exact thing happen to me in Jersey in July. It was hot as heck, and then a rain front rolled through and cooled everything down fast.

Unless you're only going out for a night or two, and you know that the weather isn't going to change, it's always worth it to bring along a bag (or quilt).

darkage
01-12-2011, 15:22
I use a 35 degree montbell UL SS ... 1 lb 6 ounces ... unzip as a blanket or zip up if the weather turns ... 60 summer nights in 3-4 days of straight rain ... good luck with that liner ...

LIhikers
01-12-2011, 15:48
Hambone, you asked us to choose between a liner or a 50 degree bag.
My vote goes to the 50 degree bag, given that choice.

darkage
01-12-2011, 15:57
Hambone, you asked us to choose between a liner or a 50 degree bag.
My vote goes to the 50 degree bag, given that choice.

Thats right he did, so with that said ... I'd go with the 50 degree also ... givin only those choices.

Ender
01-12-2011, 15:59
Agreed... 50* bag. Even if just for one night. You never really know what the weather is going to do, especially up at altitude (even relatively low altitude).

Cookerhiker
01-12-2011, 16:28

Diane, the difference is the nighttime humidity. Whereas the nights in the dry west are pleasantly cool if not cold (I've noticed a rapid cooling right after the sun goes over the ridge), the eastern nightime temps might drop slightly but the humidity rises and can become very uncomfortable. It's no fun lying on top of your sleeping bag sweating all night long because your body never dries off. And the mosquitos make it unfeasible for cowboy camping.

skooch
01-12-2011, 20:45
well my plan is a 50 degree bag and tenting. starting at Springer in June and traveling thru to the end of August. Wherever that end is. any suggestions ot will that do? thanks

Odd Man Out
01-12-2011, 22:21
I don't like to mess with multiple bags so I just have one three-season bag. When I go to bed I lie on top of it, regardless of the weather. When I get cold, I crawl in. If I get hot, I open it up. If it's warm enough in the summer, I never get in, or maybe not until the middle of the night. I know this might go against conventional wisdom, but it works for me.

Lilred
01-13-2011, 11:10
well my plan is a 50 degree bag and tenting. starting at Springer in June and traveling thru to the end of August. Wherever that end is. any suggestions ot will that do? thanks

I'd think twice about taking a 50 degree bag in the Georgia mnts in June. At those elevations, it can get down to the 40's easily at night, some nights colder. I hiked those mountains in June and had my 20 degree bag with me and was glad I had it. You will be cold with only a 50 degree bag in June in the mnts.

Tenderheart
01-13-2011, 12:46
Well, I see that there is no one on this site that is free from a possible slam just for asking a simple question. My apologies, JHambone, not all hikers are this way. In fact, most aren't. Keep your summer bag just in case. You can always sleep on top of it on warm nights.

litefoot 2000

skooch
01-13-2011, 12:52
thxs lilred will consider 20 degree

4eyedbuzzard
01-13-2011, 13:09
Well, I see that there is no one on this site that is free from a possible slam just for asking a simple question. My apologies, JHambone, not all hikers are this way. In fact, most aren't. Keep your summer bag just in case. You can always sleep on top of it on warm nights.

litefoot 2000
Who slammed anybody? People asked for clarification. Without further definition, "summertime on the trail" can mean anytime from June 21 to September 21, from Springer to Katahdin. Temperatures during that time period and though that geographic range can go from over 100 deg F to single digits. Hence, "summertime on the trail" is pretty vague from the standpoint of choosing a sleeping bag.

bus
01-13-2011, 14:22
I still say the MArmot Pounder during those months...bring the liner as extra warmth...

The Pounder takes up so little room in your pack

trainhopper
01-13-2011, 19:06
I would go with a sleeping bag even in the summer. My first real camping experience was just off the AT in August and I didn't bring a bag just a blanket and it was a miserable night. It gets pretty cold at night even in the summer.

trainhopper
01-13-2011, 19:09
By the way the average low temperature around the NY/NJ section of the trail is about 61 degrees.

handlebar
01-13-2011, 22:49
I went with the Marmot Pounder and a silk liner. When it was really hot at night I'd slip the silk liner over my thermarest and sleep on top of it with the Marmot nearby to pull over me when it cooled down after midnight. This set up worked well from Waynesburg to Hanover for my 06 thru.

TIDE-HSV
01-14-2011, 10:27
Just to throw another option in here, for the last couple of years, I've used a Jacks R Better quilt. It's really designed as a hammock under-quilt, but I find it just right for summer in my tent. I've used it as low as 1400' and as high as 6000'+. You can tie the bottom and craft a foot-box of sorts for the chillier nights (and wear more clothes)...

Tinker
01-14-2011, 10:43
I've had nights from 80 degrees to as low as 30 degrees in August in New England. The difference between low-lying areas and the White Mountains make it difficult to predict how cold it will be (you'll need to listen to the local weather while you're in the area to get a good idea of what's ahead).
I use a double bag system, a bag rated to 40 degrees which weighs 1-1/2 lbs. and one rated to 50 at one pound even. The two of them together are good to ten degrees or lower, depending on my physical condition at the time of use.

Tinker
01-14-2011, 10:46
You could also use a light weight bag and bring along a down vest or sweater to supplement your bag if it gets colder than expected.

4eyedbuzzard
01-14-2011, 11:36
Heres the link to ATC's temperature data. Real world, expect a range 20 deg + or - from the averages in summer.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805727/k.E035/Average_Temperatures_along_the_Appalachian_Trail.h tm

Bear Cables
01-14-2011, 14:34
For what it's worth, I take a 32 degree bag(down @ 1lb 3oz) and a liner. Hot night , just the liner on top of the bag, cooler night in the bag and those occasions when it gets cold, liner and bag. I like options.

JHambone44
01-17-2011, 21:08
Who slammed anybody? People asked for clarification. Without further definition, "summertime on the trail" can mean anytime from June 21 to September 21, from Springer to Katahdin. Temperatures during that time period and though that geographic range can go from over 100 deg F to single digits. Hence, "summertime on the trail" is pretty vague from the standpoint of choosing a sleeping bag.

I was having a bad day when whoever it was responded in, what to me, sounded sarcastic at the time. If they had asked for some clarification in a different way it wouldn't have been a big deal. So i responded sarcastically, also. I realize I shouldn't have done that, but I was just having a bad day. So, apologies to Fredmugs, who was probably just trying to help out. I really do appreciate everyone's responses. I don't really know exact dates or locations because I'll be doing a thru-hike, and I didn't really think about how open ended the question was. I think I've figured it out based on all the responses, so thanks again!

fredmugs
01-18-2011, 08:36
No problem. People on here tend to ask generic questions and other people tend to provide specific answers based on their one and only experiece.

Last year on July 1st it snowed on Mt Washington with below freezing temps. 7 days later when I summitted it was 67 degrees and absolutely zero wind.

mister krabs
01-18-2011, 09:53
Given the options with a june start in GA, I'd say bring the 50 and a good puffy jacket, synth or down. It can get cool at night, I like to sit by the fire (needing the puffy) and I'm a cold sleeper. I assume you already have the 50; if not, I'd consider a 40.

daddytwosticks
01-18-2011, 17:00
Ummm...don't sit too close to that fire wearing synthetic clothing. Ask me how I know. :)