PDA

View Full Version : Underwear or go commando?

Snake Farm
01-11-2011, 23:18
Just wondering what you're preferred method is for hiking? Normally I wouldnt consider not wearing underwear it but it does seem like useless weight for an AT thru-hike. Any views on this? Thanks

Helios
01-11-2011, 23:25
When I was a young Marine trompping through the jungle of Northern Okinawa, a bunch of decided to go commando. That is until some one got an inguinal hernia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inguinal_hernia Dude was in pain!

Doc said it was from lack of support. Never went without again.

HiKen2011
01-11-2011, 23:25
Synthetic boxer briefs, your thighs will thank you!;)

SurferNerd
01-11-2011, 23:27
Oh noo, its not worthless. If you like chaffing and rash and burn and itch, go commando. Them sweaty inner thighs are a bad place for rubbing. Maybe if you were wearing a kilt while hiking, but then I'd be all weird about a Britney Spears incident. I personally wear REI wicking boxer briefs. Briefs constrict around the legs, boxers provide no support. Boxer briefs provide the support, and don't constrain the legs. And the wicking material is great for a vital area.

Roland
01-11-2011, 23:27
~ Any views on this?

Yes. The views become more frightful when wearing a kilt.

leaftye
01-11-2011, 23:31
Boxer briefs for me. I'm fat. I wouldn't be able to hike long distances without them.

I would still wear them if I was skinny because they're extra insurance that a tick doesn't get to my sensitive bits.

LIhikers
01-11-2011, 23:50
I usually hike in water shorts. They have the mesh lining for support which also lets you air out a little.

RGB
01-12-2011, 00:04
The only way I hike is commando in Brooks running shorts.

abn trooper
01-12-2011, 06:19
A good old fashion jock strap is a good choice if you don't have any friction issues. It's lightweight, supportive, and dries quickly.

Egads
01-12-2011, 07:27
Men prefer women to go commando and for other men not to

Rocket Jones
01-12-2011, 07:30
I usually hike in water shorts. They have the mesh lining for support which also lets you air out a little.
This is what I do.

daddytwosticks
01-12-2011, 09:09
Try it. If it works for you, go for it. YOU will be the only one to know. :)

fredmugs
01-12-2011, 09:21
I mostly wear running shorts with the built in crotch. No way I would wear swimming shorts with that mesh middle.

kayak karl
01-12-2011, 09:25
you can hike commando, but can you hike 5 days without bathing commando?

Blissful
01-12-2011, 09:32
either way. My son went commando until he lost the thigh fat (which contributes to chafing), then went to the Ex officio boxers or similar wicking boxers. same with hubby

Newb
01-12-2011, 09:50
under armour compression boxers for hiking. Commando for the office.

chiefiepoo
01-12-2011, 09:52
One pair Ex Officio boxer briefs, one pair black Ex officio ordinary boxers as back up which also makes a good pair of swim trunks

JaxHiker
01-12-2011, 11:50
Synthetic boxer briefs, your thighs will thank you!;)

While I usually find this true I was shocked (and pained) to experience some of the worst chaffing ever on my last hike. Not sure what happened.

Grampie
01-12-2011, 12:03
I used the hiking shorts with the mesh liner...Worked fine for me. Especialy when you want to take a cooling dip in a stream or pond. Just jump right in. They would dry in a few minuted. I would try to rinse them out every night to get the salt out. :sun

Snake Farm
01-12-2011, 14:35
Haha duh! Totally forgot about irritation. I have been so focused on keeping my pack weight low. I'll have to take a step back and breathe when im packing my things now, or else I might forget something just because it has wieght, like food!

Thanks for all the responses. I hear alot about Ex Officio, are they pretty much just a brand name synthetic boxer short?

sbhikes
01-12-2011, 14:42
A pair of briefs or whatever worn is not a lot of weight. Just don't bring along any spares and save weight that way.

maybe clem
01-12-2011, 14:59
I hike in running tights. No underwear needed.

Serial 07
01-12-2011, 16:24
commando...easy and breezy...

Harrison Bergeron
01-12-2011, 19:01
Remember Nicholson's rules for old men in the "Bucket List"? Us old guys don't have the option.

But even if I was 20 again, I don't think I'd trust my farts enough to go commando when all I've eaten for the past 2 days is noodles and gorp and it's two more days to the nearest laundromat. That's just nuts!

Speakeasy TN
01-12-2011, 19:17
Remember Nicholson's rules for old men in the "Bucket List"? Us old guys don't have the option.

But even if I was 20 again, I don't think I'd trust my farts enough to go commando when all I've eaten for the past 2 days is noodles and gorp and it's two more days to the nearest laundromat. That's just nuts!

Dammit! That may cost meeeeeee a keyboard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banana

Namaste
01-12-2011, 19:23
On a 7 week hike I started out with quick dry shorts with the liner. After 1 week I tore the liner out and was much happier.

OldStormcrow
01-12-2011, 20:16
Body Glide, if going "commando".....

pistol p
01-12-2011, 20:53
Commando. I am a really warm hiker, I need the extra air. When it's hot out, I try and cool down in a lake, stream, or river. Also helps with getting rid of all of the sweat.

@JonGalt: As for the fart problem...I wear dark shorts and camp away from everyone else. They won't smell a thing. :D

fredmugs
01-13-2011, 08:11

LOL! My trail name almost became "Intestinal Issues" after eating some buffalo meatloaf in Colorado.

wornoutboots
01-13-2011, 10:27
While I usually find this true I was shocked (and pained) to experience some of the worst chaffing ever on my last hike. Not sure what happened.
I have had the same problem with these? They seem to trap the heat in?

wornoutboots
01-13-2011, 10:29
Synthetic boxer briefs, that is

Snake Farm
01-19-2011, 19:44
Went out and bought a pair of ExOfficio boxers and EMS brand boxers

rockytop7
01-19-2011, 19:56
Running shorts with liners built in. Light and worry free!

BradMT
01-20-2011, 10:42
Commando... sort of. North Face Belted Class V Shorts (with built in brief).

sixguns01
01-20-2011, 11:14
Haha duh! Totally forgot about irritation. I have been so focused on keeping my pack weight low. I'll have to take a step back and breathe when im packing my things now, or else I might forget something just because it has wieght, like food!

Thanks for all the responses. I hear alot about Ex Officio, are they pretty much just a brand name synthetic boxer short?

Boxer Briefs are the way to go. No irritation. I used to use Ex Officio but switched to TerraMar. Better feel and didn't ride up as much as the ExOfficio. Body Glide works well too. I use it when it's very humid out.

Gotta do whatcha gotta do-

Jim Adams
01-20-2011, 20:32
the only time I don't have chaffing is when I go commando. No matter what you decide, you will probably deal with some chaffing unless you wash up often...at least once per day.

geek

Walkintom
01-20-2011, 20:50
On my first decent length dayhike (around 12 miles) I learned about the chafing issue the hard way. A swipe with the deodorant stick on each thigh and synthetic boxer briefs has served me ever since to prevent the chafing.

Trailbender
01-20-2011, 20:51
Wear women's underwear, two pair weigh less than an ounce. Just make sure you get the microfiber ones, they stretch in the front enough to give plenty of extra room. I am above average and had no problems with fit. Exofficio bikinis are good, and hanes.

Appalachian Tater
01-20-2011, 23:09
Try both ways, whichever works best for you. What works in cold weather might not work as well in hot, humid weather.

If you wear a hiking kilt, please do the other hikers a favor and wear underwear. Your junk will show even if you think you are being careful.

Snake Farm
01-21-2011, 16:35
Wear women's underwear, two pair weigh less than an ounce. Just make sure you get the microfiber ones, they stretch in the front enough to give plenty of extra room. I am above average and had no problems with fit. Exofficio bikinis are good, and hanes.

What would the benefit of wearing womens underwear be vs mens?

the judge
01-22-2011, 13:20
I'm starting out in polypropylene long johns and switching over to whatever i deem fit for warmer weather. still debating on taking the kilt.

Trailbender
01-24-2011, 18:24
What would the benefit of wearing womens underwear be vs mens?

Much lighter in weight, mainly. Most are 0.5 oz. Men's synthetic underwear are usually 2-3oz. So it weighs less, and does the exact same thing. I find them more comfortable, as well.

Lone Wolf
01-24-2011, 18:28
Just wondering what you're preferred method is for hiking? Normally I wouldnt consider not wearing underwear it but it does seem like useless weight for an AT thru-hike. Any views on this? Thanks

i ain't worn underwear in 30 years. no underwear needed on the AT

Maddog
01-24-2011, 19:59
commando!!

Hoofit
01-24-2011, 20:33
It's one more thing to wash and carry
Commando ain't so cool though around the fire if you've split your pants!
Just feels right

Snake Farm
01-24-2011, 21:10
Much lighter in weight, mainly. Most are 0.5 oz. Men's synthetic underwear are usually 2-3oz. So it weighs less, and does the exact same thing. I find them more comfortable, as well.

Hmm, i've worn boxers my entire life. Dont know if my boys would like that degree of support.

Trailbender
01-24-2011, 21:39
Hmm, i've worn boxers my entire life. Dont know if my boys would like that degree of support.

I tried commando, figured one less thing to worry about. I got chafing in some really sensitive parts and dropped the issue quickly. I don't see how people can go commando and not get chafing. I tried boxers as well, didn't like the lack of support.

JohnEbner
01-25-2011, 17:49
Compression shorts work for me.

soccrosse
01-25-2011, 20:09
I've been wearing a kilt for the last six years and commando is the only way to go! I met Sky Walker at the beginning of his thru hike as I was coming off Springer at the parking area (my pic is in his book - no I'm not the Scott character he writes of) and his mother insisted on asking me what I had on under the kilt. I tried several times unsuccessfully to tell her that a Scottish gentleman wouldn't discuss such matters. However, I finally relented and told the truth, nothing. Her face turned red and she headed back to the car! Go figure....

map man
01-25-2011, 23:52
Nylon fishing pants with built-in brief and zip-off legs. Same theory as the water shorts and running shorts people have mentioned but cover all of your legs when it's cold out. I got two pair of the Columbia brand on sale at Cabelas a couple years ago. The only thing that feels odd about the fishing pants is that they have no fly.