PDA

View Full Version : tent or no tent?

keithweezer1
12-27-2004, 04:25
what up,

i'm taking an 8 day voyage through the smoky mountains and i'm trying to decide whether to pack a tent or if a tarp will do. i'm not expecting a crowd of hikers this time of year. i'm just wondering if it would be a good idea. i know that some just take a tarp to build shelter or to hang in the shelters for forth wall. i'm going to be heading out tomorrow for fontana dam so if you have any thoughts feel free.

keith

screwysquirrel
12-27-2004, 04:33
You ought to read the thread on the "hiker rescued from the AT in the Smokies. I might bring one with me.

neo
12-27-2004, 04:50
I WOULD CARRY A BIVY OR TARP,WEATHER TO SERIOUS THIS TIME OF THE YEAR,PLUS READ HIKER RESCUED THREAD:sun NEO

SGT Rock
12-27-2004, 06:37
I have debated on not bringing my hammock in the Smokies a bunch of times. I always carry it but never use it because of the shelter rules, well except when I camp off of the AT. I have been thinking that a good 10x12 tarp for a back up on these trips would be a better option.

tribes
12-27-2004, 08:39
The man who fell in the smokies last week had years and years of experience backpacking in Smokies in all sorts of weather. He felt confident enough to not pack his tent. Then he fell and was stranded for days without shelter. It is really up to you. I think it would be foolish to not pack some sort of shelter at any time of year on any section of trail. By doing so you leave yourself and potential rescuers, if you get into trouble, at risk. If the weight of a shelter is going to really make or break your hike, maybe you need to find another hobby. Not carrying a shelter, is foolish in this hikers opinion. I will expect that almost 100% of the replies in this forum will tell you the same. Happy trails.

TRI :sun BES 05'

Lone Wolf
12-27-2004, 08:40
I ALWAYS carry a tent. I NEVER stay in shelters in the Smoky's. NEVER rely on shelters.

chris
12-27-2004, 14:58
If you do not have a lot of experience with a tarp, I would bring a tent instead if you are heading anywhere along the AT in the Smokys. That being said, if I was going to, say, traverse the AT in the Smokys at this time of the year, I would just stay in the shelters and bring neither tent nor tarp nor bivy. But, given that you asked the question, I would probably say you should bring some sort of shelter on your back for safety.

Pjter
12-28-2004, 13:02
I've camped in all seasons, from the Sierra Nevadas to the deserts of the Middle East and have never found a need for a tent. I always carry a tarp, and it provides all the shelter I need. It even works for you hammock'ers.

If I'm camping, I'm there to be in the woods, not to climb inside a portable house.

The only problem has been mosquitos in the summer. But, it's manageable.

-PJ

hungryhowie
12-28-2004, 16:03
If I'm camping, I'm there to be in the woods, not to climb inside a portable house.

-PJ

Ah yes, but there are those pesky regulations due to overcrowding in the Smokies that require a hiker to stay in the shelter (when one is present). It's synonmous to not carrying a bear canister in Inyo: if you break the rules, and they catch you, you get fined.

There are those who stealth camp nonethess, to each his own I suppose.

That said, I'd take a bivy and a small tarp. The bivy will provide extra warmth inside the shelter (or in an emergency).

-howie

Pjter
12-30-2004, 23:56
Hmmm, never camped in the Smoky Mountain Nat'l Park; didn't know that.

But if that's the case, then why take a tent at all?

-PJ

Kerosene
12-31-2004, 00:31
Hmmm, never camped in the Smoky Mountain Nat'l Park; didn't know that. But if that's the case, then why take a tent at all? -PJThe rule is that you have to use the shelters if there is space available. However, many shelters are reserved by weekenders, which can force late-arriving thru hikers to tent in the area around the shelter.

The Eleven
01-04-2005, 16:21
I Always Bring A Tent.....elements, Like My Privacy And Personal Space. The Only Time I Use A Lean-to Is In A Downpour Or Coming In On A Late Afternoon/early Evening, Easier Than Setting Up. Smokies? Lucky You......definitely Tent It. Little Bear 2 In Ct