PDA

View Full Version : MSR pocket rocket refills??

novabob71
01-12-2011, 10:01
Can you get the refill canisters easily along the trail?? Where do you buy them?? Thank you!!

10-K
01-12-2011, 10:11
No problem, you can buy them often and can also pick up canisters left by other hikers who are "topping off" and leaving partially full canisters at hostels when they buy full ones.

JaxHiker
01-12-2011, 10:42
You may already know this but the canisters are interchangeable between manufacturers.

Pedaling Fool
01-12-2011, 10:42
If you are talking about refilling a canister, I don't think that's possible. Canister resupplies, however, are abundant.

The Snowman
01-12-2011, 16:54
as long as your not picky about brand or size you can find them most places along the trail. Walmart, REI, EMS, Dicks,

novabob71
01-12-2011, 17:29
Thanks whiteblaze folks....You are the best!!!

Serial 07
01-12-2011, 17:30
hardware stores in many small trail towns have'em as well...they are easy to find...

Ender
01-12-2011, 17:38
Here's a question, sort of related. What ever happened with the canisters not being available (for any stove type). I remember there was something about new shipping rules that didn't allow canisters to be shipped. It sounds like this was resolved?

Just curious! :sun

Blissful
01-12-2011, 17:53
No problem, you can buy them often and can also pick up canisters left by other hikers who are "topping off" and leaving partially full canisters at hostels when they buy full ones.

Not many of those. The ones that actually had something in it was at Kincora and at Shaws.

Dan in PA
01-13-2011, 00:48
Here's a question, sort of related. What ever happened with the canisters not being available (for any stove type). I remember there was something about new shipping rules that didn't allow canisters to be shipped. It sounds like this was resolved?

Just curious! :sun

Yeah, what's up with that? I prefer the small Snow Peak canisters just because of their size, but was told by my local Cabela's that they'll only stock the larger MSR ones from now on. REI sells them, but that's about an hour away.

Bucherm
01-13-2011, 05:17
snow peak canisters will work fine with MSR stoves.

nitewalker
01-13-2011, 06:59
any brand and size of isobutane will work as long as the threads match up. you can obtain the canisters in all the places mentioned above and more. target, sears, bass pro shop etc....don't sweat it !!!

Jaybird
01-13-2011, 07:14
Can you get the refill canisters easily along the trail?? Where do you buy them?? Thank you!!

YES!

good luck w/ yer hike!
will be section hiking DWG-thru Jerey & New York in MAY & JUNE 2011

Semperfeet
01-14-2011, 21:31
There are plenty of places along the trail that you cannot get canisters easily or conveniently. I prefer the canister stove but it is prudent to develop some expertise with an alcohol stove - one that you can easily manufacturer with your pocket tool after you drink your soda pop or eat your tuna from the can. Every place that sells canisters will also sell alcohol but alcohol is also available at a lot of places that canisters are not;)