PDA

View Full Version : Trail Campsites near Suwannee State Park

Buffalo Skipper
01-12-2011, 10:29
I am looking for a campsite somewhere between Holton Creek River Camp and Suwannee State Park on the Florida Trail. The distance between these points is about 14.5 miles. I am looking for something 9-11 miles out of Holton Creek RC.

Does anyone know of any good campsites here?

chiefiepoo
01-12-2011, 18:29
From an old FT map guide of section 18 (Suwannee river West);Holton Creek west toward Suwannee the book shows a campsite 9.1 miles from Holton. Distance from SSP is 6.6 and the guidebook shows a total of 15.7 for this segment. I have canoed this section and recall that it would be a fine hiking trek too. Many informal upland campsites and some sand bar camping depending on water level. You might check the web site for Suwannee Water management District to see what the regs are for camping along the river. Classic Florida scenery around there and gators should be down in the mud keeping warm this time of year.

JaxHiker
01-13-2011, 11:25
Is Mar a good time to hike this section or is the water up too high? Not sure when the flood stage is.

Gray Blazer
01-13-2011, 11:28
Is Mar a good time to hike this section or is the water up too high? Not sure when the flood stage is.
It's about as low now as I've ever seen it.

Buffalo Skipper
01-13-2011, 11:31
From an old FT map guide of section 18 (Suwannee river West);Holton Creek west toward Suwannee the book shows a campsite 9.1 miles from Holton. Distance from SSP is 6.6 and the guidebook shows a total of 15.7 for this segment. I have canoed this section and recall that it would be a fine hiking trek too. Many informal upland campsites and some sand bar camping depending on water level. You might check the web site for Suwannee Water management District to see what the regs are for camping along the river. Classic Florida scenery around there and gators should be down in the mud keeping warm this time of year.

Thanks, I will look at that. I also found a gpx file on line which shows a "campsite" in a similar spot. I can find the 9.1 mile mark easily with my Topo 8 software. We had a group of scouts here 2 years ago, and we canoed this a year and a half ago, so it is not entirely unfamiliar territory.
Thanks for the head's up.

Sorry JaxHiker, I don't know when flood stage is. Look on the Suwannee Water Management District websites for flood stage and historical data. They keep excellent records on line. The real big flood was 3 years ago, I believe. Something like 20'+ above flood stage, a 2 century flood.

Amberalicia
01-13-2011, 12:04
Sorry JaxHiker, I don't know when flood stage is. Look on the Suwanee Water Management District websites for flood stage and historical data. They keep excellent records on line. The real big flood was 3 years ago, I believe. Something like 20'+ above flood stage, a 2 century flood.[/QUOTE]

I certainly remember that flood. I was right there with 5 others. We came to a spot we couldn't go further and the water was rising from where we had started. So we headed back into town and drove south to Myakka State Park for some hiking and alligator watching and finished up on a Gulf beach.

JaxHiker
01-13-2011, 12:22
Thanks guys. Didn't think to check the mgmt district. That pic looks pretty low for sure.

Here's the current info for White Springs.

1/7

1/8

1/9

1/10

1/11

1/12

1/13

77' is the flood level.

chiefiepoo
01-13-2011, 16:09
For current water levels throughout the US, I have often used this as a planning tool or final check before heading out for a canoe trip / drag.
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/rt
Another thing I recall about floating this section was encountering several "youth" groups made up of a counselor or two and some young people who were in remedial programs. Seems like some clients go awol from time to time and I was asked by counselors and LE if I had seen .........

Shannan
02-11-2011, 08:07
Anyone hiking this area this weekend? I am game for it. Kinda last minute but worth a shot.

JaxHiker
02-11-2011, 10:17
Hiked around Big Shoals last weekend. Water is low but the river is still nice. Several nice places to stop along the way.