PDA

View Full Version : Pack question

Bearbag
01-12-2011, 11:43
Im shopping for a new 60L ish pack. I have stuck with Gregory or Marmot packs most of my hiking life. However i am considering an Osprey. Let me hear some opinions on Ospreys or other brands for that matter. Keep in mind im not all worried about UL packs. Man up and walk!

Boothill
01-12-2011, 14:54
i carry the osprey atmos 50 large (which is actually 53 liters) very comfortable pack and carries the weight good, i have only had it up to about 25lbs, osprey advertises it up to the 40lb load range not sure about that...

i really like the ventilated back panel alot and the overall comfort of the pack is really great

the only thing i don't care for and it's a trade off of having the suspended back panel is that it create a bulge on the inside of the pack and it takes a little time getting your items to fit just right, once you get that figured out it doesn't seem to be as big of deal

overall i really like the pack and you can't beat ospreys guarantee

boot

hillsanddales3
01-12-2011, 15:02
In the middleofnowhere, you'll find the ULA Catalyst.

skinewmexico
01-12-2011, 16:15
ULA. Born on the PCT. Made in America. Or you can help the Chinese own us a little more.

Sickmont
01-12-2011, 16:22
In the middleofnowhere, you'll find the ULA Catalyst.

And thats exactly the one i'm getting.

Wags
01-12-2011, 20:13
i have and love my osprey exos... i feel it carries my 14-15 lb base weight perfectly...

Luddite
01-12-2011, 20:29
ULA. Born on the PCT. Made in America. Or you can help the Chinese own us a little more.

I second that. ULA make great packs; you won't hear any bad things about them and they have great customer service. Almost all pack manufacturers outsource their labor now and then sell their packs at ridiculous prices. ULA have very fair prices.

http://ula-equipment.com/circuit.asp

Bearbag
01-14-2011, 16:42
thanks for the input

hikerboy57
01-14-2011, 16:48
Ive got the Osprey atmos 65, because of the curve of the back panel, all my gear fits nicley and still carries well. I removed the wall separating the sleeping bag compartment, and find my gear fits a lot better. With water and food I usually carry around 35 lbs.. The ventilated back is great in the summer