PDA

View Full Version : Reflective Tarps

wacocelt
12-27-2004, 13:55
Howdy Folks, I've been searching all the hardware and Walmart stores in my area and can't find one of the tarps thats brown on one side and silverish/reflective on the other. Anyone have suggestions for where to pick one up?

I used one in 03' but it got lost in the shuffle during one of our moves. I plan to use it as the ground cloth for my tent or to go under my sleeping pad when and if I decide to use the shelters this year. Thanks in advance!

Christopher

neo
12-27-2004, 16:33
yeah my brother found one that someone left in thje woods,they are way to heavy for backpacking:sun neo

Gacy
12-27-2004, 17:49
Im with neo on the weight comment. I carried one on my first backpacking trip from max patch to Mt. Mommas and it was just unneeded weight. If you are considering something for a sleeping pad why not a thermarest?

grizzlyadam
12-27-2004, 21:32
i know the type of tarp you are talking about because i have one as well. i don't think it is "too heavy" or "uneeded weight." especially since you are starting your hike in january. the majority of my backpacking is done in the fall and winter and i always carry it and use it the exact same way you are planning to. i put it under my tent as a groundcloth and under my sleeping pad as an extra layer of insulation when i'm in a shelter.

i bought mine at a gear store years ago. i don't think they are quite as popular anymore. but, here (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=1051) is something similar that you may want to check out.

good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

grizzlyadam
12-27-2004, 21:38
so, i did a little more searching and found exactly what you're looking for.

rei.com carries it here (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=57703&parent_category_rn=4500522&vcat=REI_SEARCH). hopefully, you could order it and it will arrive before your start date. (the first of january, right?)

Doctari
12-27-2004, 22:16
I saw them, exactly as you described them, ONCE at Big Lots in the greater cincinnati area. It may have been a few years ago, but may be worth a check, you never know with Big Lots :p

Doctari.

wacocelt
12-28-2004, 15:26
An employee at Lowes got some in the day after I was there, he called the outfitter in town to leave a message for me that he had found one, they gave me the message when I stopped in yesterday afternoon. Trail Magic already!

As to the weight, yes, the material is a bit heavy, but when it comes to staying alive, there is no such thing as extra weight. Like Grizzlyadam says, I use it under my sleeping pad in shelters and as a ground cloth for my tent. I'm beginning my thru-hike January 1st, not April 1st.

Even with my 'havy' tarp, four days food, fuel and water, my winter pack is still slightly less than 30lbs. Pretty damn good if you ask me, though I do appreciate the advice! Be well and Happy New Years to you all!

Edit:: The one listed by REI is much lighter than the one i got from Lowes, might switch for one of those down the Trail somewhere! Thanks GA!

AlphalphaPB
01-01-2005, 08:51
I've seen the reflective tarp at several Wal-Marts. IIRC, they're in the automotive section.

Kinda heavy at 21 oz, but acceptable if used instead of a tent. I fold mine up a bit and use it as a pillow when I'm in a shelter.