PDA

View Full Version : Finishing up Ga from Neels Gap- NB or SB

waldick
01-13-2011, 00:38
So two years ago i did Springer to Neels Gap in 3 days. Now i would like to finish up GA, but have about a week to burn and was wondering what might be a good northern end for a weeklong hike. In particular a good place to get picked up or dropped off. Anyway looking to do it late April or early May.

I was thinking maybe Winding Stair Gap at US 64.....

...and whether to go NOBO or SOBO...

scope
01-13-2011, 01:08
So you did 30m in 3 days, or 10m per day. But really those beg and end days are usually less than full, so lets say 9-12-9... sound ok? So let's say you have 7 days, which is 5 full days (5x12=60, enter M+), and then the "ends" at 18m (again M+)... MR says 78m. Add that to the AT mileage at Neels, 30m, and that puts you around the mileage point 108.

Winding Stair Gap is 106-something... that's probably your best bet. However, my guess is that its a little conservative. You could probably spend your last night on Siler and end at Wayah Gap. If you really got on it, you could hike up to Wayah Bald and then back down to the Gap for your ride.

I think if you did it Sobo, you could start from Wayah Bald and end at Neels more easily than covering the same distance Nobo.

Ron Haven
01-13-2011, 01:47
So you did 30m in 3 days, or 10m per day. But really those beg and end days are usually less than full, so lets say 9-12-9... sound ok? So let's say you have 7 days, which is 5 full days (5x12=60, enter M+), and then the "ends" at 18m (again M+)... MR says 78m. Add that to the AT mileage at Neels, 30m, and that puts you around the mileage point 108.

Winding Stair Gap is 106-something... that's probably your best bet. However, my guess is that its a little conservative. You could probably spend your last night on Siler and end at Wayah Gap. If you really got on it, you could hike up to Wayah Bald and then back down to the Gap for your ride.

I think if you did it Sobo, you could start from Wayah Bald and end at Neels more easily than covering the same distance Nobo.I like doing Winding Star to Neals Gap going south.

generoll
01-13-2011, 09:17
if you're just wanting to do Georgia, then why not start or end at Standing Indian Campground and use the Kimsey Creek trail from Deep Gap.

MkBibble
01-13-2011, 12:00
i did woody to standing indian a few months ago in 6 days, and i am NOT speedy. personally, i would go nobo. if you are moving slow you can still finish GA and get off the AT at deep gap or kimsey creek trail to the camp ground (very nice trail), if you are making better than expected time you might even blow right past winding stair.

waldick
01-13-2011, 23:12
wow..thanks for all the replies...

One of my main concerns is making it easy on the person picking me up. When she dropped me off at Springer last time she didn't rally like the drive back down the mountain too much, so i'm trying to find an easier access for her.

So if i went sobo then i'd pretty much stuck getting of at Neels, but if i went nobo i could go past Winding Stair....hmmm

What it come down to I guess is easy access for drop-off... and scenery of course

scope
01-14-2011, 00:47
Nobo...
- Standing Indian backcountry area, paved road, 2 turns off Hwy 64
- Rock Gap is right after that 2nd turn, closer than SI
- Winding Stair is on Hwy 64 with parking lot and end of long uphill run (both ways).
- Wayah Gap is paved road, one turn off Hwy 64, but easy to miss.

Sobo...
- Hogpen Gap on Richard Russell Hwy pretty hard to miss, but directions may be a bit complex unless ride is familiar with Helen area;
- Neels Gap is pretty easy, just take Hwy 19, can't really miss the store.
- Lake Winfield Scott is not hard to find, can take Slaughter Gap or Jarrard Gap trails to get there
- Woody Gap is another 10m from Neels in case you're running ahead and want to hike on. Great campsite at the 2nd overlook (which would be the first going sobo) up the hill to your left on blue blaze. Main overlook in on the trail further south, and another campsite there behind huge boulder. Woody Gap is the easiest drive from ATL.

These are all good paved roads, not FS gravel roads like the one up to Springer. Scenery is pretty similar, with the possible exception of Siler Bald. If Winding Stair is your ending destination, I'd make every effort to walk UP to Siler, and then hike back down for your ride.

jesse
01-14-2011, 02:44
I'd go S/B because Neel is a better place to hang out while waiting for a ride, than Winding Stair.

orangebug
01-14-2011, 10:05
As much as I like Neels Gap, I'd recommend NB. You have much more wiggle room for the end of the hike. For instance, if you decide on Winding Stairs Gap for a pick up and are running a few miles late (1/2-1 day), skip down from Deep Gap along Kimsey Creek Trail (Old AT) and straight on up to the AT near Albert Mtn and on north (missing all the beauty of Standing Indian). There are more side trails/short cuts around Standing Indian as it surrounds a bowl.

Plus there are a lot of shuttle/trail angel supports around Franklin and pretty good access to Interstate to get back north.

Have fun!

waldick
01-15-2011, 00:32
Well i just found out today that my friend who lives north of Atlanta and who has shuttled me in the past, fell on the ice and broke her hip. She got a hip replacement today. So she is out of commission for shuttling purposes.

Lots of good information...thank you...it gives me something to think about on these long winter nights.

I did some searching and it looks like there are several people that will pick up near Franklin. I wonder if a drop off to or from Neels is available and at what cost...