PDA

View Full Version : PA Trail Description

Gator Baiter
01-13-2011, 09:22
Hi all. First time poster, though I have been reading many of the forums and information within this site for a few weeks.

I am planning a solo backpacking trip either in early May or early October this year in PA, and needed help deciding what trail to thru-hike...

I've read some info on here about some of the trails, and also on the Pennsylvania DNR site (which was pretty decent), but wanted some thoughts from those that have actually hiked them.

Here is what I am looking for, and I'll let you decide which you think will be the best trail for me:

- Location in PA doesn't really matter all that much
- Loop or linear doesn't matter much either, as I will try to find a shuttle if linear.
- I am planning a 4-7 day trip, so anywhere from 40-90 miles.
- I like climbs, but nothing too crazy
- I like a mixture of decent climbs, ridge walking, and also valleys with streams.
- A trail where I won't have to worry about caching water, even in dry season
- Lastly, something remote, scenic, and away from suburbia

Here were some of the trails I found, that I was considering.
- Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail
- Black Forest Trail
- Susquehannock Trail
- Loyalsock Trail
- Donut Hole Trail
- Chuck Keiper
- Standing Stone Trail
- Quehanna Trail

I just can't figure out which would be better than the other....Any advice would be great!! Thanks!!

Helios
01-13-2011, 09:50
Each would be an awesome hike. You also have the AT and Tuscarora Trails that are easy to access and offer what you are looking for.

Pick one and enjoy. Take lots of pictures. Then start planning for the next trail on the list. :-)

Cookerhiker
01-13-2011, 10:33
I have hiked 3 of the trails on your list in their entirety:
Laurel Highlands Trail - you want to rule it out for now because of the bridge closure over the PA Turnpike necessiatating a long detour. Otherwise, the trail meets much of your criteria - if anything, it's too easy (I know, famous last words!)
Susquehannock Trail - I hiked this last October and highly recommend it. It's far from suburbia, has some ups and downs (none over 1,000' at a time) and level stretches, nice walks along creeks, great campsites, uncrowded. At 85 miles, you can hike it in less than a week. This thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57574) has info on the trail including a summary of my recent hike.
Black Forest Trail - only 42 miles, perhaps a bit short for what you're looking for. Some of the ascents/descents are steeper or rougher footing but there are also easy parts.
Re. the other trails on your list, I've heard good things about DoNut Hole and Loyalsock trails. I note that you didn't list the Mid-State or Tuscarora Trails - presumably because you want to hike one trail in its entirety and they're too long for your timeframe?

Re. timeframe, I'd hike as early in May as possible before the underbrush gets too thick.

The Solemates
01-13-2011, 10:36
LHT is a nice trail that fits in your range. not sure of the PA hunting dates this year - October is perhaps too early but it may be open season for something. When I hiked the LHT there were quite a few hunters. Doing it out of season would be more enjoyable.

either way, just pick one and have fun!

you may also wanted to check out the MST, which runs the whole length of PA. I've done about half of it and would recommend the middle sections around State College as a first trip - the trail is easier to follow, there are more scenic vistas, less road walking, and easy places to access for entry and exit. www.hike-mst.org

jethro
01-13-2011, 11:49
I've hiked both the LHHT (two years ago, before the bridge was demolished) and the STS (as a teenager). Both are great hikes, but I'm especially fond of the STS. In 85 miles we saw three other hikers. There are fantastic vistas and the Hammersley Pool (http://www.pbase.com/image/42106175) is as good as advertised. Be sure to get the trail guide and maps from the Susquehannock Trail Club, PO Box 643, Coudersport, PA 16915. Nice folks.

If you decide to try the LHHT (also a great trail), there is an alternative to the long road detour. See post #33 at http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57042&page=2. You must make reservations and stay at designated shelter sites.

Good luck!

jethro
01-13-2011, 11:52
I forgot to mention .... Buy Backpacking Pennsylvania: 37 Great Hikes by Jeff Mitchell. It's an excellent resource.

handlebar
01-13-2011, 11:54
The Quehanna Trail is nice. It's a 75 mile loop with some ups and downs. I recommend starting at Parker Dam State Park and hiking counter-clockwise. The office at the park, if you get there while it's open, has free maps on waterproof paper. There are also maps online via this site along with reviews of the trails (http://www.neohbackpackingclub.com/mapLib.aspx). You might get lucky and see some elk on this trip. Also, you can get a shower at the park campground when you come out.

Alternatively, I can also recommend the STS. It's an 85 mile loop that I hiked counter clockwise starting at Ole Bull State Park. You can add a loop off this trail and hike over to the Black Forest Trail to increase the miles to 115, if you want. We'd planned to do that, but scrubbed the extra miles after we took a zero at the little village of Cross Fork, PA (Google it) where we had a mail drop to dry out our gear after 3 straight days of rain. In spite of the rain it was an enjoyable hike. There were quite a few overgrown sections that showered us with rain but overall the trail was in pretty good shape. There are showers at Ole Bull campground also.

I've done the Chuck Keiper but that was over 15 years ago. I'd do either the Quehanna or STS before doing that again.

Spirit Walker
01-13-2011, 12:04
The Donut Hole is my favorite trail in PA. It is remote with nice stream walks and a few good climbs. You can get good maps from the forest office. In normal years, water is abundant. If you hike it in June, parts will be lined with walls of mountain laurel blossoms. Chuck Keiper is good for a four day trip or can be cut into two good weekend hikes (25 mile loop and 30+ mile loop.) The Quehanna is also a nice hike - a big loop, which is an advantage, and better maintained than most PA trails. Black Forest is probably the most spectacular, but it is also the most crowded. Susquehannock is the easiest of the long hikes - good tread and well maintained, but I found it boring. Laurel Highlands is a lot like the AT, except that you must reserve and pay for campsites. It's pretty crowded too. Midstate is a mixture of great trail and extremely rocky trail. Loyalsock is a nice hike, but again, has lots of people. A couple of its climbs are very very steep.

Gator Baiter
01-13-2011, 12:36
Thanks for everyone's input.

It may be easier to rule them out, and leave the last one standing...:-?

I'm ruling out the LHT due to the fact that it would probably be more fun to share a shelter with a hiking buddy then solo. Plus you get to split the cost!!

Also, Black Forest is probably too short for what I'm looking for.

Thanks again!!

nox
01-13-2011, 14:37
I give a thumbs up to the Loyalsock trail. Plenty of water on it, nice views, and a few small waterfalls. The guide book for it is very detailed and worth buying and I'm pretty sure you can call the trail club up there to get a shuttle if you need it.

ki0eh
01-13-2011, 20:01
The Standing Stone http://www.hike-sst.org has a number of great views and water/camping availability is a little better than some sections of the Mid State. It does have some paved and gated-road walks and now one area where someone cut a logging road crossing the trail in several places and then logged. Many consider the SST far superior scenically to the PA A.T. There are no shelters.