PDA

View Full Version : Snow shoes and snow depth in PA

1azarus
01-13-2011, 11:22
I'm planning a walk from Port Clinton to Swatara gap for the end of January, and I'm wondering how much snow is on the trail now. Last year I was really glad I brought snow shoes to Pennsylvania -- and I was wondering if I needed to plan to do the same again... actually, I was wondering about buying extension tails for my MSR denali shoes, and hoping, well, that enough is enough! Looks like it'll be cold enough to keep the snow you now have on the trail, so -- how deep is it? By the way, after the last two storms it looks like well more than three feet in my driveway.

horicon
01-13-2011, 12:27
Weather underground has a snow depth map.

1azarus
01-13-2011, 13:06

Now that is remarkably useful!!! Thank you so much!!!

finskie
01-13-2011, 13:23
In harrisburg we have about 5" or so, but Port Clinton being to the east a ways, I would think they have a little more atleast. Sorry not more helpful, I haven't been out there lately.

Toolshed
01-13-2011, 13:36
Lehigh Valley (Between Palmerton and Wind Gap), just off the trail we got almost 6" yesterday but blowing and drifting a lot. This on top of the 2+" we had last week. Allowing for some consolidation and blowing, I'd say there is about 5" in most areas.
East of us (towards Port Clinton) was a couple of inches less.
If snowshoes are your only traction device, I'd say bring'em, otherwise might be overkill.

sly dog
01-13-2011, 14:34
I am heading out for two nights near boiling springs friday, i'll let ya know how the snow is. I dont have snowshoes but my brother is bringing his.

sly dog
01-16-2011, 11:04
Well i am at alex kennedy shelter. Didnt need snowshoes but some traction would have helped. 2 nights out. Woo hoo! Time ta head out.

shelterbuilder
01-17-2011, 00:06
About 4 - 5 inches at the Windsor Furnace Shelter on Saturday. Not snowshoe depth yet, but Yak-Traks might be a good idea.

jeremesh
01-17-2011, 00:18

I tried to find the snow depth map and failed... any help on what link to click where?

ki0eh
01-17-2011, 09:34
We were out this weekend from 645 (Pine Grove) to 325 (Clarks Valley). I could keep up with my microspikes wearing buddy in 2-4" of snow (except in a very few drifting areas where it was knee deep) until my stabilicers kept falling off then he gained 10 minutes per mile on me. I knew not to bother with yaktrax before, now I know not to bother with stabilicers.

(BTW shelterbuilder - we could not find a register at William Penn but otherwise all is OK at both WP and Rausch Gap. Well the privy's a little full at both but we weren't going to take that on for you. ;) )

shelterbuilder
01-17-2011, 22:40
We were out this weekend from 645 (Pine Grove) to 325 (Clarks Valley). I could keep up with my microspikes wearing buddy in 2-4" of snow (except in a very few drifting areas where it was knee deep) until my stabilicers kept falling off then he gained 10 minutes per mile on me. I knew not to bother with yaktrax before, now I know not to bother with stabilicers.

(BTW shelterbuilder - we could not find a register at William Penn but otherwise all is OK at both WP and Rausch Gap. Well the privy's a little full at both but we weren't going to take that on for you. ;) )

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll be at RGS this Friday with ATC, and William Penn is on the list for annual inspection.

ki0eh
01-18-2011, 18:30
One thing I just remembered at RGS, there's a big chainsaw blowdown on the access trail. The Second Mountain relo could use a brushout and reblazing next season too. :) Thanks for all you do!!

shelterbuilder
01-18-2011, 21:59
One thing I just remembered at RGS, there's a big chainsaw blowdown on the access trail. The Second Mountain relo could use a brushout and reblazing next season too. :) Thanks for all you do!!
There were several small ones here and there between the RR grade and the shelter, including 2 (not really big ones) on the blue trail. Is there now a third one here? Our Trailmaster was going to try to go in and take care of the blowdowns, but I don't know if he's had the time yet. Guess I'll find out on Friday. A chainsaw seems to be the one tool that I take with me no matter where I'm headed!:D That, and a pooper-scooper.:eek:

LIhikers
01-18-2011, 22:29
.......my stabilicers kept falling off.....

With Stabilicers it bepends which ones you have. If it's the ones that are held on with elastic plastic, or maybe rubber, that stretches around your shoe about all thtey are good for is walking out to bring in your mail at home. If you want stabilicers you can hike in get the ones with the full footbed that are held in place with velcro straps.

I first tried the ones mounted by the stretch method and after one trip returned them for the velcro kind. That was years ago and I haven't had one come off since.

ki0eh
01-19-2011, 08:11
With Stabilicers it bepends which ones you have. If it's the ones that are held on with elastic plastic, or maybe rubber, that stretches around your shoe about all thtey are good for is walking out to bring in your mail at home. If you want stabilicers you can hike in get the ones with the full footbed that are held in place with velcro straps.

I first tried the ones mounted by the stretch method and after one trip returned them for the velcro kind. That was years ago and I haven't had one come off since.

The ones I had were the rubbery kind. But after watching my buddy with the microspikes (and I already had the microspikes, just didn't bring them!) they certainly seem good for the conditions we had.

Back to the topic I should note that we now have an icy crust with rain and freezing rain on it around the Harrisburg area. Out on the trail now would probably have a fast slide rather than a gentle slide on the rocks. :)

1azarus
01-19-2011, 13:49
The ones I had were the rubbery kind. But after watching my buddy with the microspikes (and I already had the microspikes, just didn't bring them!) they certainly seem good for the conditions we had.

Back to the topic I should note that we now have an icy crust with rain and freezing rain on it around the Harrisburg area. Out on the trail now would probably have a fast slide rather than a gentle slide on the rocks. :)

yes, everything in CT looks like a glazed donut. i will be bringing microspikes, for sure! i, too, am definitely a big fan.

any issues with water at shelters?

who makes the best pizza near the 501 shelter?

ki0eh
01-19-2011, 15:27
At William Penn and Rausch Gap water was running but not gushing.

I know a year ago or so pizza at the 501 shelter was a sore subject with the caretaker but never heard if/how that was resolved.