PDA

View Full Version : Best place for a night hike/run in Ocala?

erichkopp
01-13-2011, 16:02
I've hiked the Juniper Prairie Wilderness between Pat's Island (FR 46) and Hidden Pond at night and lost my way a few times during the hike. I'd like to do a nighttime trail run somewhere in the forest that'd be a little easier to follow. Is the footpath on the rest of the trail, outside of wilderness areas, a little more defined? Any recommendations?

moytoy
01-13-2011, 17:46
I guess it depends what kind of light you use. I've always thought the trail north of 40 is pretty well marked. (I've never done it at night).
I just did the south of 40 to 19 yesterday (13 miles). It is a pretty well defined trail. It has been cut up a little around Dora's pond with fire breaks and such but I finished the last hour up last night in the dark with no light. I do know the trail however.

Gray Blazer
01-13-2011, 21:31
I guess it depends what kind of light you use. I've always thought the trail north of 40 is pretty well marked. (I've never done it at night).
I just did the south of 40 to 19 yesterday (13 miles). It is a pretty well defined trail. It has been cut up a little around Dora's pond with fire breaks and such but I finished the last hour up last night in the dark with no light. I do know the trail however.
You don't want to get lost around there at night! :eek:

moytoy
01-13-2011, 22:36
You don't want to get lost around there at night! :eek:
lol...that is true! If you get lost go due east not west!

lilricky
01-15-2011, 22:46
I was thinking that the Pat's Island Trailhead to Hidden Pond was a pretty simple hike in the dark. The only way you can get lost is to ignore the trail signs at the intersection of the Yearling trail. There is the KICCO trailhead section, heading south. No way to get lost on that, unless you ignore the blazes, which in this section is almost every 60 feet in most places.

lilricky
01-15-2011, 22:49
Oops, please ignore the above post, didn't read the thread title.