PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bag--Dilema

tawa
01-13-2011, 19:23
Currently have an Adreneline Golite 20 degree--800 fill Goose Down sleeping bag. Used it from the Approach Trail to Dick's Creek at the first of the year and felt comfortable except for one night when my base layer had gotten damp and not dried before retiring for the night.
Plan on going back to the trail between Feb 1st and March 1st.
So my question is if this bag will get me through the Smokies etc or should I seriously consider getting a Zero degree bag to get me through early April.
I have purchased a silk liner and did sleep in my clothes while hiking in early January.
Hate to spend alot of extra money but sure want to be prepared for when I return and continue north.
What options would you suggest?

DapperD
01-13-2011, 19:52
Currently have an Adreneline Golite 20 degree--800 fill Goose Down sleeping bag. Used it from the Approach Trail to Dick's Creek at the first of the year and felt comfortable except for one night when my base layer had gotten damp and not dried before retiring for the night.
So my question is if this bag will get me through the Smokies etc or should I seriously consider getting a Zero degree bag to get me through early April.
I have purchased a silk liner and did sleep in my clothes while hiking in early January.
Hate to spend alot of extra money but sure want to be prepared for when I return and continue north.
What options would you suggest?If you are going to be starting early in the season like that, there will be a strong chance that a warmer, better quality bag may be smart to have. I guess you can wear extra clothing in your current bag and/or add a liner. This is up to you. I think for starting early like that a high quality 0 degree bag is a huge plus.

4shot
01-13-2011, 20:08

How cold was down in Ga.? that would be a start to answer your question. I do know you can face single digit temps at elevation down here at times in that time period. Your new liner will add a little bit of comfort so I would ask myself if I were comfortable and at what temps did I experience before I decided to invest further.

Blissful
01-13-2011, 20:29
If you plan to be in the Smokies before March, I would definitely take something warmer. And be prepared for snow.

Star Walker
01-25-2011, 06:51
ill be starting mid march with a 40 degree bag lol. ive also got some sweat pants and sweat shirt i will be carrying until it warms up. this is a heavy way of hiking but i am on a serious budget. ive already quit my job and have no strong source of income so a new bag isnt an option for me. 2100 bucks saved for this trip, which may or may not be enough so i will just wing it as best as i can. once it warms up though i can trash the sweat shirt and pants when i get to a town saving me the trouble of sending a sleeping bag home and getting another.

bigcranky
01-25-2011, 08:57
Star Walker, just a word of advice, you should consider spending several weekends sleeping outside in the Georgia mountains in the next few weeks while it's cold. Pick a night with lows in the teens, if possible, just to give your sleeping system a good test. And you have to spend the whole night -- what keeps you warm at 10:00pm might be really cold at 4:00am. You can do this in your back yard if the overnight lows are cold enough.

I'm concerned that a 40-F bag is in no way warm enough even with clothing. But then, you are young and can probably handle it. Good luck.

Snowleopard
01-25-2011, 12:04
Starwalker: When are you starting? A 40F bag is NOT warm enough even later in the season Feb. start. Many cheap bags exaggerate their temp ratings, so it may not even be warm enough at 40. For 0 to 10F you need to at least double your insulation. I'd change what Big Cranky said to 'can probably survive it. For absolute cheapest way to go I'd get a cheapo 5 or 6 lb from Walmart and put your 40F.
"sweat pants and sweat shirt i will be carrying until it warms up." You'll need more than that in Feb. or March down south or anytime in the White Mtns (NH). If these are cotton, don't use them -- cotton is dangerously cold when it gets wet and can cause hypothermia. Synthetic fleece is fine, wool is fine. Go to Goodwill or Salvation Army and stock up on whatever fleece or wool or synthetic clothes they have. You want different sizes so you can put all your clothes on at once in layers.

Tawa: A silk liner adds very little insulation. To be good for 0F you'd need to add 50% more insulation. Does your golite bag have that much extra room inside. You could put your down bag inside a 40F bag and probably be comfy. Maybe you'd be warm enough with a bunch of clothes on inside the bag; you'll have to decide for yourself if that's OK for you. Check TipiWalter's postings on winter hiking in the Smokies; I'm not sure just how cold it gets down there.

Roots
01-25-2011, 12:16
ill be starting mid march with a 40 degree bag lol. ive also got some sweat pants and sweat shirt i will be carrying until it warms up. this is a heavy way of hiking but i am on a serious budget. ive already quit my job and have no strong source of income so a new bag isnt an option for me. 2100 bucks saved for this trip, which may or may not be enough so i will just wing it as best as i can. once it warms up though i can trash the sweat shirt and pants when i get to a town saving me the trouble of sending a sleeping bag home and getting another.

Seriously:eek:

This is in the straight forward thread so I'll be straight forward....that will not be a smart thing to do. Sweats are made of cotton which is a killer for hiking. It gets wet and you are in real trouble. Try campmor or sierra trading post for some thermals. Very reasonable and much more suitable. If you are serious about a 40 degree bag, please rethink it. Campmor has a reasonable 0 degree bag that would be better than that. Do some research before going out.

jayjay
01-25-2011, 12:59
I'm facing a similar dilemma this year. I'm going to embark on my first through hike around feb 25th. I normally hike in the fall and summer. On past trips I've never taken more than a fleece throw blanket and floor mat, and I've been caught in below zero temperatures on both the AT and PCT. However since this is a thru hike I'd rather be prepared (plus those nights were miserable ;D.) Whats a good sleeping bag for me to invest in. (I have a very limited budget.)

mister krabs
01-25-2011, 13:13
ill be starting mid march with a 40 degree bag lol.

...and blowing a quarter of your remaining budget at mountain crossings for a new bag.

4shot
01-25-2011, 13:17
I'm facing a similar dilemma this year. I'm going to embark on my first through hike around feb 25th. I normally hike in the fall and summer. On past trips I've never taken more than a fleece throw blanket and floor mat, and I've been caught in below zero temperatures on both the AT and PCT. However since this is a thru hike I'd rather be prepared (plus those nights were miserable ;D.) Whats a good sleeping bag for me to invest in. (I have a very limited budget.)

look at the Campmor down bags. they get pretty good reviews and are significantly below the other major brands $$$ wise. Also check sierra trading post and steep and cheap for deals.

Jim Adams
01-25-2011, 13:19
jayjay,
Start with at least a 0* bag.
I used a 20* in 1990 and was only cold 2 nights but I started March 25.
2002 I started on March 17 with a 0* and was comfy until I switched it out at Pearisburg.

geek

max patch
01-25-2011, 13:24
Low temp on Mt Leconte today is 14.
Yesterdays low was 0.

I know what I'd do.

flemdawg1
01-25-2011, 16:28

If you can't afford $200 to upgrade your sleeping bag, you can't afford a thru hike.

Roots
01-25-2011, 16:33
If you can't afford $200 to upgrade your sleeping bag, you can't afford a thru hike.

I agree! IMO, my sleeping bag is my most important gear. When it comes to gear, you get what you pay for, as well.

tawa
01-25-2011, 17:33
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I ended up going with the Golite Zero Degree--800 down Mummy bag. With coupon --got it for just a little over $250.
Thanks again.

skinewmexico
01-25-2011, 20:55
Test it in the backyard. But there's a 40% off coupon for the GoLite web site floating around.

ajakob88
01-25-2011, 21:58
Going SOBO and cant decide what degree of bag I will need. Leaving mid-june, I Figure I could get away with a higher degree bag than NOBO hikers because it will be warmer in the South in the fall months (october, mid-november), any thoughts?

Blissful
01-25-2011, 22:10
Going SOBO and cant decide what degree of bag I will need. Leaving mid-june, I Figure I could get away with a higher degree bag than NOBO hikers because it will be warmer in the South in the fall months (october, mid-november), any thoughts?

I took a 25 degree bag for my hike. Then switched to 15 degree bag in the south by mid Oct. (In Nov. the Smokies can get cold. So does Roan Mtn area). But I sleep cold.

mississippihiker
01-26-2011, 15:41
What about GA in May, would a 40F or Less bag be sufficient for night, assuming you sleep in some kind of clothing?

flemdawg1
01-26-2011, 15:46
What about GA in May, would a 40F or Less bag be sufficient for night, assuming you sleep in some kind of clothing?

It should be OK. The problem is when you get to the NE in Sept/Oct.

mississippihiker
01-27-2011, 21:25
I should clarify I'm just doing a section hike in GA in may, thru hike isn't ever the plan, so trying to get a bag that is versatile for later sectional hikes. I'm gonna be in a hammock as well, but I figure with a 30F down bag and a sleeping pad or 40F down bag and sleeping pad I should be good?

I know a lot of you thru hike but in my case what would you suggest? Thanks in advance for the help.

flemdawg1
01-28-2011, 11:49
I should clarify I'm just doing a section hike in GA in may, thru hike isn't ever the plan, so trying to get a bag that is versatile for later sectional hikes. I'm gonna be in a hammock as well, but I figure with a 30F down bag and a sleeping pad or 40F down bag and sleeping pad I should be good?

I know a lot of you thru hike but in my case what would you suggest? Thanks in advance for the help.

A TRUE 30 deg bag with some extra insulation (base layers + fleeece/down jacket or liner) should be sufficient. 40deg might be pushing it. I did a late MAy section around Erwin last year, the 40 deg worked. However, I have both a 40 deg and a 15 deg bag and chose based on the upcoming weather. I'll be doing the same this April, checking the upcoming weather forecast and choosing the appropriate bag.

If you are starting off and need a 1st/primary sleeping bag, I'd get a 20 deg down bag with a full zipper. The full zip is important, because even a 40 deg bag without a full zip gets too hot in the summer.

Old Hiker
02-02-2011, 15:18
Low temp on Mt Leconte today is 14.
Yesterdays low was 0.

I know what I'd do.

Go hiking??? :sun

Got the following on Steep and Cheap for $100 - was in the right place when it popped up. It's a bit heavy, but I checked the all reviews I could find and it seems to be a fairly good bag.

https://www.backcountry.com/images/items/small/KEL/KEL0728/GAR.jpg
Kelty Coromell Sleeping Bag: 0 degree Down