PDA

View Full Version : white mountains

Megapixel
01-13-2011, 20:36
So what is considered "adequate cold weather gear" for the Whites? It appears I'll be there roughly NOBO just after the first day of summer, but I know or have heard that really means nothing in the whites. So what is a solid list to have for there clothing and bag wise?

hikerboy57
01-13-2011, 20:46
I've seen snow in the whites end of July, so yes, it does get nippy up there. I was also in the Mahoosucs last August and one night got into the 40s. I had a 40' Marmot bag, but was still a bit chilly. For summer hikes in the whites, I bring a midweight fleece, long underwear,hat and gloves. outside of that nothing special. Your choice of bag would be interesting, 20' or better would be good for the whites themselves, but if you're hitting there end of June, a heavier bag will be too warm for Maine. 1st day of summer sounds ambitious. when is your start date?.

Blissful
01-13-2011, 20:48
So what is considered "adequate cold weather gear" for the Whites? It appears I'll be there roughly NOBO just after the first day of summer, but I know or have heard that really means nothing in the whites. So what is a solid list to have for there clothing and bag wise?

Your winter gear that you take if you started in March - like
Insulated jacket
20-25 degree bag
gloves and hat
long undies
rain gear (I kind of wish I had a parka more with the wind)
flexible itinerary.
And don't do what 10K did :D

mountain squid
01-13-2011, 20:55
Your winter gear that you take if you started in March Concur. That is pretty much what I was thinking. You should have it not later than Glencliff, NH (the next day you will climb Mt Moosilauke which is first above tree line).

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Roughin' It
01-13-2011, 20:57
I was passing through the Whites mid July last year, and my "winter" gear consisted of: midweight fleece, hat, 30* bag, and long underwear to sleep. Didn't need pants for hiking, but a rain jacket helped in the driving wind and rain.

Megapixel
01-13-2011, 20:58
it's an inside out from Harpers leaving there NOBO in April. All of the above posts are mucho grande helpful, I'll need to add a liner and have my gloves and hat waiting there for me. thanks!