PDA

View Full Version : My trail beer of choice is?

Former Admin
11-22-2002, 23:08
My trail beer of choice is?

chief
11-23-2002, 01:16
yours

Peaks
11-23-2002, 08:53
A free-be

chris
11-25-2002, 10:27
Bourbon or rum on trail. In town, whatever is local. Failing that, whatever is cheapest. The main problem I have with the AT is that I can't get Old Style anywhere near it.

EarlyRiser
11-25-2002, 21:46
i heard you can get bear in hikerfriendly pouches now. that sounds like trouble to me.

Jack Tarlin
11-26-2002, 14:15
First of all, it's "Yuengling", and second of all, what the hell is Beilmann's?

For what it's worth, my vote is PBR or Rolling Rock, but it depends entirely on what is available or who is paying.

Jack Tarlin
11-26-2002, 14:17
Come to think of it, "Guinness" and "Budweiser" were also mis-spelled. Whoever introduced this thread needs to either spell better or drink less beer while posting.

Lone Wolf
11-26-2002, 14:34
PBR or OP(other peoples)

Moose2001
11-26-2002, 15:33
Any brand, it's all good. All calories!! Pizza and beer at the Doyle.... yummmmmmmmmm

stranger
12-25-2002, 02:06
King Of Beers

SGT Rock
12-25-2002, 11:19
Since we all have our hitching stories, Trail Magic Stories, etc. Let me tell my Beer Story. ;)

In 1999 I was going from Sinking Creek Valley to Bland. I met up with a partner in Pearisburg and we made had a goal for Dismal Falls as a campsite on Sunday night with a long stay on Monday before leaving out.

About 1630 or so on Sunday we were heading up the trail to the falls and heard loud Skynnyrd and a barking dog as we approached. Now I don't mind good southern rock and a little company, but my partner didn't want all that, she wanted privacy (get you mind out of the gutter boys) and a quiet place. So we cache the packs and I work around to the high side of the creek to observe who is there before going to the falls.

Using my best stealth creep, I work upstream, then into the water, and then downstream to the falls. There above the falls is a guy (we will call him Dowferd to protect his actual name), his girlfriend (well call her Mary Jo), and their dog with lots of beer, lawn chairs, and a dog (Cujo). I watch for about 5-10 minutes to see what is happening. To my supprise, they start packing up to leave. Cool, we will have the falls to ourselves since we and they are the only ones here. I proceed back to the cache site to inform my partner. :D

So we start looking for a camp site and find a nice one there on the AT side of the creek, set up the tent (pre-hammock days) and start looking for dry wood. While this is going on, we hear lots of loud engine revving, tire spinning, and yelling. They have gotten stuck somehow. :eek:

Hoping they will leave ASAP, I decide to go see if I can help. I don't know if I've ever mentioned this, but I'm in the Army and have lots of experience getting vehicles unstuck since I'm Cavalry and ground Cavalry spends lots of time in some of the worst terrain out there. Anyway, I get to the far side of the creek and see them. Mary Jo is behind the drivers seat gunning it, while Dowferd is jumping up and down on the back bumper yelling at her and cursing. The left front tire is in a ditch, and it is a 2 wheel drive S10 Blazer. Old Cujo in the back going nuts. :confused:

I approach and introduce myself and tell them I want to help and my experience, so old Dowferd allows me to jump up and down on the back bumper with him. But getting wheel traction in the back ain't working, the frame is on the ground in the front. So I tell Mary Jo to put it in reverse and go to the front to shove. The truck starts getting out, and Dowferd seeing my plan is working comes to my aid. We shove the truck enough to get the back wheels enough leverage to haul the truck out. Mary Jo is happy, Dowferd is happy, Cujo is still barking his ass off. Maybe it is because I expect him to :rolleyes:

Dowferd is shaking my hand, thankful as all get out, asks me if there is anything he can do to make it up to me. I say "Got any beer?". Hell yes he replies, opens up a cooler and gives me my pick of his best 5 Michelob (Hey, weekends were made for it!) that are still ICE COLD! I return to the camp as they drive away. That night's pasta got three ice cold beers, and my partner got the other two. I have never tasted a better beer in my life.:cool:

icemanat95
11-21-2003, 11:13
I'm mostly a local beer guy. I buy from local breweries as much as possible, but when I can't find a local I like, I go for the old stand by, Guinness.

For actual on-trail alcohol consumption I stick with things that can add a punch to stuff I already drink on trail, B&B, Christian Brothers, or Grand Marnier all work very well in coffee, hot cocoa or even hot apple cider. If I don't care about mixing or the hike will be a milestone, then the only possible choice is a good Single Malt Scotch. I haven't gotten as picky as some on the subject, but I'm working on it. For now, my wallet can handle the occasional bottle of 12-16 year old Glenfiddich and the like.

Footslogger
11-21-2003, 11:35
For my money it's Yuengling ! Wish I could get my hands on some out here in Wyoming.

Alligator
11-21-2003, 14:12
That pouch beer is a West coast product, maybe Alaska. Comes in a gold foil pouch sort of like Capri sun. I searched it down once, but don't remember the name. Weight was a problem to have it shipped, too expensive. Think it was around quart size. Homebrew's best.

Moon Monster
12-08-2003, 22:41
The best beers I have had along the AT are Magic Hat's Humble Patience (Inn at Long Trail) and Troeg's Pale Ale (The Doyle). I regret not yet trying the "Troegenator" Double Bock.

For those of you ever in a car driving 95 into/out of Maine, I absolutely recommend you take a meal break and head into Portland and go to the Great Lost Bear. It's an excellent tap room with over 50 rotating taps featuring many upper New England micros.

Here's a link to the beer in a pouch:
http://incanpouch.tripod.com/

MadAussieInLondon
12-09-2003, 04:59
i dont drink beer, but i like a nice whisky. Lagavulin, Talisker, Laphroaig, Bunnahabhain.

celt
12-09-2003, 06:54
Long Trail Ale of course!

I highly recommend visiting the Long Trail Brewery which is on Route 4 west of Killington in Bridgewater Vermont, not for the brewery tour (I'm not sure there is one) but for the food. There is a pub there that serves great buffalo wings and hearty sandwiches. All the Long Trail beers are on tap too of course!

Kerosene
12-09-2003, 09:30
Long Trail Ale is actually pretty good. I had the pleasure of trying it this summer after a day hike.

A-Train
12-09-2003, 13:30
Yuengling if im in pennsylvania. Long Trail's hit the Trail Ale is awesome too. Mostly whatever people buy since I can't even legally drink!

ga>me>ak
12-09-2003, 14:19
Whatever is cold... OP's...what is being offered.... if the store has decent beer, then something good. Just no garbage....

cabalot
12-10-2003, 23:14
as far as what is on the list it would be guiness, otherwise it would depend on the tempurature and what i am eating for dinner. high alcohol content is best, saves weight. i always bring JD

mdjeeper
12-27-2003, 06:41
wheres genessee cream ale at? we do pass through PA after all!!!

highway
12-27-2003, 09:32
Beer is heavy, but any cold one offered would certainly be deeply appreciated. And, depending on the heat of the day, I'd even waver on it being cold, too.

What I sometimes take with me, though, is a Platypus of Absolut kurant, a fine vodka flavored with black Currants collected from the Swedish tundra. A swig or too of this in the evening will dull the ache in the feet and put a smile upon your face-it does mine :jump :jump

c.coyle
12-27-2003, 10:41
wheres genessee cream ale at? we do pass through PA after all!!!

Hmmm Genny Creme was big in Pa. in the '70s and 80s. Rarely see it here nowadays. As the poll results make clear, that Chinese beer has made a big comeback in the past 10-15 years.

Patco
02-05-2004, 19:03
:sun Didn't see O'douls on the list. Last real drink was in 1984. Dad's a recovering alcoholic. Says there a tendency toward hereditary traits. Co-workers kid me that they drank a fake beer and got into a fake fight. Ok, whatever. Ice cold lemonade is hard to beat.
:sun

Kozmic Zian
02-07-2004, 13:05
Since we all have our hitching stories, Trail Magic Stories, etc. Let me tell my Beer Story. ;)

In 1999 I was going from Sinking Creek Valley to Bland. I met up with a partner in Pearisburg and we made had a goal for Dismal Falls as a campsite on Sunday night with a long stay on Monday before leaving out.

About 1630 or so on Sunday we were heading up the trail to the falls and heard loud Skynnyrd and a barking dog as we approached. Now I don't mind good southern rock and a little company, but my partner didn't want all that, she wanted privacy (get you mind out of the gutter boys) and a quiet place. So we cache the packs and I work around to the high side of the creek to observe who is there before going to the falls.

Using my best stealth creep, I work upstream, then into the water, and then downstream to the falls. There above the falls is a guy (we will call him Dowferd to protect his actual name), his girlfriend (well call her Mary Jo), and their dog with lots of beer, lawn chairs, and a dog (Cujo). I watch for about 5-10 minutes to see what is happening. To my supprise, they start packing up to leave. Cool, we will have the falls to ourselves since we and they are the only ones here. I proceed back to the cache site to inform my partner. :D

So we start looking for a camp site and find a nice one there on the AT side of the creek, set up the tent (pre-hammock days) and start looking for dry wood. While this is going on, we hear lots of loud engine revving, tire spinning, and yelling. They have gotten stuck somehow. :eek:

Hoping they will leave ASAP, I decide to go see if I can help. I don't know if I've ever mentioned this, but I'm in the Army and have lots of experience getting vehicles unstuck since I'm Cavalry and ground Cavalry spends lots of time in some of the worst terrain out there. Anyway, I get to the far side of the creek and see them. Mary Jo is behind the drivers seat gunning it, while Dowferd is jumping up and down on the back bumper yelling at her and cursing. The left front tire is in a ditch, and it is a 2 wheel drive S10 Blazer. Old Cujo in the back going nuts. :confused:

I approach and introduce myself and tell them I want to help and my experience, so old Dowferd allows me to jump up and down on the back bumper with him. But getting wheel traction in the back ain't working, the frame is on the ground in the front. So I tell Mary Jo to put it in reverse and go to the front to shove. The truck starts getting out, and Dowferd seeing my plan is working comes to my aid. We shove the truck enough to get the back wheels enough leverage to haul the truck out. Mary Jo is happy, Dowferd is happy, Cujo is still barking his ass off. Maybe it is because I expect him to :rolleyes:

Dowferd is shaking my hand, thankful as all get out, asks me if there is anything he can do to make it up to me. I say "Got any beer?". Hell yes he replies, opens up a cooler and gives me my pick of his best 5 Michelob (Hey, weekends were made for it!) that are still ICE COLD! I return to the camp as they drive away. That night's pasta got three ice cold beers, and my partner got the other two. I have never tasted a better beer in my life.:cool:
WoW!!!! What a Story!!!!......Paleeeesssse.

Kozmic Zian
02-07-2004, 13:15
Did you ever notice that if you go in on the trail more than 2 or 3 miles from a trailhead that there is no more trash, related to beer, soda cans, cig trash, etc. That's because the partyers can't walk any farther in....I have this theory that Cig, Beer, and Red meat are related. Do one, and chances are you'll do another. All three are disconnecting elements....that is, the chemicals in these ingested products work on ones mind to disconnect him/her from The Earth....make us think The Earth is just a place to occupy and use. Clean Spirit....Clean Body....Clean Earth. The Light....The Love....The Peace....The Trail....Kozmic Zian.

Lone Wolf
02-07-2004, 14:10
Animals have rights. The right to be next to the garlic mashed potatoes.

weary
02-07-2004, 15:28
Hmmm Genny Creme was big in Pa. in the '70s and 80s. Rarely see it here nowadays. As the poll results make clear, that Chinese beer has made a big comeback in the past 10-15 years.

My favorite trail "beer" is 100 proof J. W. Dant bourbon. But if I find some 180 proof distilled spirits I'll carry that in the interests of weight. A tablespoon or two mixed with a little Tang works quite well. Maker's Mark and a spash of water is better, but heavier, and a bit pricy.

Sadly, JW Dant is hard to find. !80 proof "almost pure" alcohol seems to be unknown north of Tennessee. My wallet only rarely can afford Maker's Mark. So most of the time I settle for Wild Turkey. Hey, any port in a storm.

Weary

Thomas Hughes
02-08-2004, 00:35
Did you ever notice that if you go in on the trail more than 2 or 3 miles from a trailhead that there is no more trash, related to beer, soda cans, cig trash, etc. That's because the partyers can't walk any farther in....I have this theory that Cig, Beer, and Red meat are related. Do one, and chances are you'll do another. All three are disconnecting elements....that is, the chemicals in these ingested products work on ones mind to disconnect him/her from The Earth....make us think The Earth is just a place to occupy and use. Clean Spirit....Clean Body....Clean Earth. The Light....The Love....The Peace....The Trail....Kozmic Zian.

If it wasn't for the cow, "DUFF" beer, and Copenhagen I probably would not want to make it to the next town. :banana

Thomas Hughes
02-08-2004, 00:54
My favorite trail "beer" is 100 proof J. W. Dant bourbon. But if I find some 180 proof distilled spirits I'll carry that in the interests of weight. A tablespoon or two mixed with a little Tang works quite well. Maker's Mark and a spash of water is better, but heavier, and a bit pricy.

Sadly, JW Dant is hard to find. !80 proof "almost pure" alcohol seems to be unknown north of Tennessee. My wallet only rarely can afford Maker's Mark. So most of the time I settle for Wild Turkey. Hey, any port in a storm.

Weary

Try Everclear. It's 192 proof. It's made from corn grains. I don't know who owns the company. I know that I can order the stuff if it's not in stock. Just about all of the major stores have it.

Dan Morris
02-08-2004, 01:32
That pouch beer is a West coast product, maybe Alaska. Comes in a gold foil pouch sort of like Capri sun. I searched it down once, but don't remember the name. Weight was a problem to have it shipped, too expensive. Think it was around quart size. Homebrew's best.

I know for a fact that the Great Bear Brewing Company in Wasilla, Alaska sells these beer pouches. Being from Wasilla I highly recommend their beer, they have a beer called Big Sue Strong Ale it will make any person crawl out of the bar on their knees (done it myself)! This is the best bar in town if you ask me! I saw an ad for the beer pouches in Backpacker magazine I don't remember the issue.

rambunny
02-08-2004, 16:00
:jump Well in Oct. I hiked upin Vermont and N.H. went thru Penn. So in the back seat on the way home was 10lbs of Vermont cheese 10 lbs of vermont bacon 6 cases of Yuengling 3 cases Hit the Trail Ale and 2 of long trail ale Hey before you judge It's a hell of a winter in Indiana and yes i shared.

Moon Monster
02-08-2004, 18:06
I saw an ad for the beer pouches in Backpacker magazine I don't remember the issue.

Hi Dan, check my post above if you'd like a link to more info on the pouch.

Dan Morris
02-08-2004, 21:07
Hi Dan, check my post above if you'd like a link to more info on the pouch.

Cool man didn’t know the advertise the pouches so much. I have a friend who works at the Great Bear and I will talk to her to see some prices and what kinds of beer they offer in them, I can make some recommendations to the best tasting beer. If anyone is interested... Someone said that it would be expensive to ship from here down to the lower 48 and that’s true so someone would really have to want to try them out, maybe not worth the shipping cost. Very good beer though.

snuffleupagus
02-09-2004, 00:10
I would have thought IPA's would have made the poll's. I sure hope I can find a descent german brewery along the way when I hike this year. All those other beer choices just make me sleepy. A good wheat beer can really put a little pep back into your step when it all comes down to it. I live 15 miles from a great german brewery in downtown Baltimore and will miss my hanging stein for 6 months. I hope I can find a good substitute social gathering while on a zero day. Anyone know of a good german brewery along the trail?

Chip
05-18-2004, 21:32
Guinness, or a good stout or porter. Love those dark beers ! ;)

Ramble~On
06-07-2004, 03:32
#1 Knob Creek
#2 Crown Royal
#3 Everclear Grain Alcohol (Yeah Baby!!!) Concentrated !!!! Gotta carry it ? Packs more pound for pound liquid joy.
"Beer is fine but Whiskey's quicker"
:banana #&*% !!!!!!!!!! My head hurts this morning...ooops, it isn't morning ???
Whatdaya mean I slept till Noon ?

Pencil Pusher
06-07-2004, 04:39
I was kinda disappointed Miller High Life didn't make the cut for this poll. That's my beer of choice to leave in streams or take with. Though any cheap beer will do, especially if someone gives it to you (good score, rock). For going light, liquor is the choice. I don't care which, they're all potent enough.

The Scribe
06-07-2004, 08:05
The Great Lost Bear gets a vote from me. Forest Ave. Portland. I believe Thursday evenings are still special night when a local brewer hosts with good drink, party favors and a lot of fun. Some of the stuff on tap could go into the crankcase if you discover your ride is down a quart.

pcm

food
06-18-2004, 17:16
What happend to Coors aka Colorado CoolAid?

Tin Man
06-27-2004, 08:27
I like it all, but on the trail we carry Scotch...too much. Our first year of section hiking, my brother poured for some other hikers. He has been "Bartender" ever since. They started calling me "Tin Man" after I attached a trail angel soda can to my hiking stick and it started to make a tin sound, but I have read about another "famous?" Tin Man, so I use Bimmer for now. I don't much care for that one, but I need to get out on the trail and pick up a new name, maybe over a beer or some Scotch.

Anyway, after carrying a case of beer 4 miles once, as part of a 72 pound pack, I stick with Scotch. :D

sgtjinx
08-05-2004, 12:04
For low-carb beer it's Rolling Rock Green Light. Tastes like beer not like the water. That people use soap in to wash their nasty bodies in.:bse

Ridge
11-11-2004, 00:20
Heineken reg or dark is my choice of brew. Icehouse, will do in a pinch(mainly because of the high alcohol content 5.5%), and a lot cheaper than Heineken.

I found Yuengling beer in Va, really good stuff, priced right, wish I could get it here. Guinness Stout, original and not the bottled draught(watery tasting), is also really good, but pricey. Lately I've been drinking Bavaria, a Holland made brew, tastes just like Heineken, only cheaper. Modelo, a Mexican beer, very good. Jap and China beers are pretty good, pricey. Note to those who drink Fosters, the stuff is made in Canada under the license of Fosters -Australia (read the fine print on the containers), does not taste anything like the real stuff. This really peed me off, got hooked on the stuff while in Australia for so long, got back to the states bought a 12pack, couldn't drink the stuff, terrible. German beers are vast and varied, some excellent some not.

Jaybird
11-11-2004, 06:41
i dont drink anymore...(once upon a time..my beer of choice was Miller Lite, then Stroh's, then anything with alcohol, etc)

it was too much weight to carry the beer anyway..............

the keg kept falling off my backpack....hehehehehehe :D

Palmer
12-15-2004, 22:24
Any lawnmowing beer. Once, on a very hot day, I felt a really strong desire for Busch :cool: That hasn't happened again, but I stay away from the dark beers during summer hikes. As a former resident of Pottsville, home of Yuengling, I'm always amazed by the number of people from outside of Pennsylvania who think it's wonderful stuff. It is good, but I'm tired of it now. If you get a chance, try their Chesterfield Ale.

saimyoji
12-15-2004, 22:30
I found Yuengling beer in Va, really good stuff, priced right, wish I could get it here.

You probably can. I seen it in supermarkets in Fla.

UCONNMike
12-16-2004, 00:45
No Magic Hat or Long Trail on the list? the trail goes right thru a bunch of great micro-brew states. CT- Ole Burnside Brewing Company, Thomas Hooker Brewing Company ; MASS - Paper City Brewery, Harpoon Brewery ; VT - Long Trail Brewery, Magic Hat Brewery, Otter Creek Brewery ; NH - Smuttynose Brewery; Maine - Geary's Brewery, Shipyard Brewing Co., Atlantic Brewing Co. I try not to drink "swag" beer, i prefer a finely crafted ale, porter, IPA, stout, or barley wine.

UCONNMike
12-16-2004, 00:47
oops, i meant to say "shwag" (aka crap beer)

saimyoji
12-16-2004, 00:50
There's always a gang of people with opinions not found on the poll. I've got my list of preferred brews, though on trail: it doesn't really matter. If I've hiked all day, or even if I'm just kickin around camp in the wilderness, any beer will quill my ill.

UCONNMike
12-16-2004, 00:55
There's always a gang of people with opinions not found on the poll. I've got my list of preferred brews, though on trail: it doesn't really matter. If I've hiked all day, or even if I'm just kickin around camp in the wilderness, any beer will quill my ill.
well said....I may drink it but i wont like it

saimyoji
12-16-2004, 01:03
Mayhap you mistoke my quothe: I'll drink any beer in said situation, "and enjoy its sweet sweet nectar of life" : Homer Simpson

UCONNMike
12-16-2004, 01:06
Mayhap you mistoke my quothe: I'll drink any beer in said situation, "and enjoy its sweet sweet nectar of life" : Homer Simpson
you are in Penn, try a beer by either Victory Brewing Co. or Yards Brewing Co. they make great ale

saimyoji
12-16-2004, 01:24
Any particular name of beed I should look for? Many small time brewing Co.s don't use their Co. name as beer name. Recently I've been hooked on the Palmerton Mercuric Ale, and the Sinkole F.U. Lager.

UCONNMike
12-16-2004, 01:30
Um the two I mentioned do, here are the links Vitory (http://www.victorybeer.com/index.htm)
and Yards (http://www.yardsbrewing.com/Home/index.htm)

saimyoji
12-16-2004, 01:40
The beers I referred to don't exist (at least I hope they don't!!), they refer to the poisoned regions of the land that lie along some areas of the AT in PA.

Kerosene
12-16-2004, 13:14
No Magic Hat or Long Trail on the list?.You missed Post #18 on Page 1 of this thread. Long Trail Pale Ale is quite drinkable after a day of hiking!

UCONNMike
12-16-2004, 14:40
The beers I referred to don't exist (at least I hope they don't!!), they refer to the poisoned regions of the land that lie along some areas of the AT in PA.
oh, ok, sorry, you smart ass..

saimyoji
12-16-2004, 22:24
...they sell beer in many different sized cans for convenience of the drinker (some people can't handle as much as others) ranging from about 100 ml (6 oz?) to 1.5 L (.3 gal.?). I have been known to hump the big barrels up the mountain. Kirin is my fave.

In Sonora Mexico, San Carlos, a buddy and I hiked up the Titas de Cabras. He carried the food, I carried a sixer of Tecate and 2 lbs. of ice. drank the beer and once the ice melted (didn't take too long) had the water for coffee in the morning.

Pencil Pusher
12-17-2004, 01:06
My folks would take us kids to San Carlos each summer for fishing and scuba diving. Was what you climbed that scraggly spire?

UCONNMike
12-17-2004, 15:42
Kirin is freaking piss-water, its japanese budweiser. I love it when people say some **** import is their favorite, no knowledge at all...read up before you make a fool of your self

Pencil Pusher
12-17-2004, 15:54
Oh the horror of liking cheap beer. The horror, the horror.:rolleyes:

saimyoji
12-17-2004, 20:06
I lived in Japan for over 15 years, have ample experience drinking Japanese beer and have a personal favorite. If that is too much for you to handle, I'm sorry.

"...some **** import..."

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you didn't read the first part of my post. I like the Japanse version of Kirin, not the Canadian brew that is imported into our country. Read the import label sometime, it is imported, but not from Japan. I don't recall the exact brewery, but its not from Japan. The Japanese brew is GOOD. I drank it on my hikes IN JAPAN.

"read up before you make a fool of yourself"....good advice.

As for your personal attacks against me, I can only imagine why you would attack someone on the internet, that you don't know, for sharing their experiences. Not the acts of a nice person. Again, since I don't know you, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

PP: Yeah, Goat Tit Mtn. is the only real tall mtn in the area. I think its about 1100 ft. Not a tough climb. There's a cross at the top where some kids died years ago. I worked as a divemaster at El Mar dive center next to the laundromat.

UCONNMike
12-17-2004, 20:13
If you researched it, youd find it was acctually made by Anheuser Busch...Mr. authentic Japanese Lager even the special japanese one, I know this stuff cause i work in the industry, Im a buyer for a chain of Liquor Stores
-SO leave me alone...you started it

saimyoji
12-17-2004, 21:26
You're not really suggesting the Kirin I drank in Japan was made by A.B are you?

You called me ignorant and a fool. Leave you alone? I started it?

Hmmm.:-?

Seraphim
12-17-2004, 22:34
Well, town beer is hands-down Guiness. But I will never drink a Guiness that has been packed out. Simply against the rules... The rules of correct temperature! I always packed out king cans of Budweiser, the Peach in me comin out.

weary
12-17-2004, 23:16
Oh the horror of liking cheap beer. The horror, the horror.:rolleyes:
A panel of alleged beer experts assembled by Consumer Reports in a blind test once rated Old Milwaukee as the best "popular" beer -- i.e. Bud, Miller, and the like.

I noticed the next time they tested beer, Old Milwaukee, wasn't even mentioned. CU never explains such inconsistencies. I suspect that so many Yuppies complained that the silence was deliberate. But I'll probably never know.

Weary

saimyoji
12-17-2004, 23:24
I've been to many different places, in the US and around the world. I've always tried to drink the local brew, or at least try it. I've found that, without exception, the local brews match the local ambience (SP?). Never gone wrong with the local stuff. Caveat: I'm not old enough to have sampled the formaldehyde enhanced brews of south east asia during the 60's-80's.

c.coyle
12-18-2004, 09:07
No Magic Hat or Long Trail on the list? the trail goes right thru a bunch of great micro-brew states. CT- Ole Burnside Brewing Company, Thomas Hooker Brewing Company ; MASS - Paper City Brewery, Harpoon Brewery ; VT - Long Trail Brewery, Magic Hat Brewery, Otter Creek Brewery ; NH - Smuttynose Brewery; Maine - Geary's Brewery, Shipyard Brewing Co., Atlantic Brewing Co. I try not to drink "swag" beer, i prefer a finely crafted ale, porter, IPA, stout, or barley wine.

In the early 70's, when I started drinking beer, your choices were limited to 3 or 4 big national brands and whatever regional beer was available from the dying regional brewery in your area. Yuengling came within a whisker of going under in the 70's. Imports were almost impossible to get.

Now, Yuengling has a brewery in Florida! And, there are at least half a dozen quality small brewerys in Pa. alone (Troegs and Appalachian being close to the AT). And a couple lousy ones, too, which is also a good sign. You can walk into any bottle shop and select from at least 20 imports, including Belgian Ales.

I think this may be the Golden Age.

Kerosene
12-19-2004, 11:11
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Benjamin Franklin

saimyoji
12-19-2004, 11:18
Beer is trully something man has given reverence to over the centuries.

http://www.bitterrootbrewing.com/beer_quotes.html

Ridge
12-20-2004, 00:03
Take Foster's Beer for instance. When I was in Australia, I consumed large quantities of Foster's. When I got back to the states I decided to buy some. I new straight away it was NOT the same. After reading the label I discovered it was made in Canada under the license of Foster's Australia. Didn't even come close to the real stuff. I hope Heineken never does this crap.

A-Train
12-20-2004, 00:57
Take Foster's Beer for instance. When I was in Australia, I consumed large quantities of Foster's. When I got back to the states I decided to buy some. I new straight away it was NOT the same. After reading the label I discovered it was made in Canada under the license of Foster's Australia. Didn't even come close to the real stuff. I hope Heineken never does this crap.

I dislike Heineken a great deal but was forced to drink it in Athens this summer at the Olympics, as the company had a monopoly at the games as "the official beer of the olympics". It was way tastier than the crap we get over here in the bottles.

ed bell
12-20-2004, 01:16
About 5- 10 years ago I used to buy Ballantine Beer in a can. I haven't seen it in a while and was wondering if it was still around. I remember that it was cheap yet quite hoppy like a pale ale. Anyone have any info? I live in SC so we have some real crazy alcohol rules. There are a lot of products we cannot purchase because of alcohol content rules.

saimyoji
12-20-2004, 01:28
SUCKERS OF IMPORTATION SECRETS: Well, not really secrets. Just be aware that the majority of "Imports" are not neccessarily imported from the expected country; and that the brew is different from the ****ry and the weak-ass North American version.

Good luck.

hauptman
04-13-2005, 03:22
While I enjoy many of the beers listed in this poll, I find that they just do not cut it for me. I would prefer a good Moosehead any day!!!!!1images/smilies/dance.gif

Mags
04-13-2005, 11:56
SUCKERS OF IMPORTATION SECRETS: Well, not really secrets. Just be aware that the majority of "Imports" are not neccessarily imported from the expected country; and that the brew is different from the ****ry and the weak-ass North American version. Good luck.

Who cares where it is from. If it tastes good, I drink it. Sheesh.

Water, yeast, hops, barley. It is just beer for crying out loud. I don't care if it "yuppie" or imported, comes from Sal's backyard or the "Lost Cities of Gold".

If it tastes good..drink it!

I know, I know. I am just a simple guy. Not appreciating the fine points of a brew. I just go by the very simple "yummy" factor. Maybe someday my taste will be more refined and I can appreciate the imported beer brewed with rose petals in Sal's backyard. In the meantime I'll stick to "Tasted good. Paul drink more." theory of beer drinking.

(Paul) Mags - loving his Fat Tire here in Colorado. A yummy beer.

YerbaJon
04-13-2005, 13:10
Man made beer.
God made pot.
God is perfect.
Man is not.
--------
"A jar of wine vinegar was there, so they soaked a sponge in it, put
the sponge on a stalk of the hyssop plant, and lifted it to Jesus'
lips. When he had received the drink, Jesus said, "It is finished."
With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit." (John 19:29-30)
---------
"For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine, and
you say, 'He has a demon.' The Son of Man came eating and drinking,
and you say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax
collectors and "sinners."'" (Luke 7:33-34)
---------
I say eat, drink, and be merry. HYOH and do-it-up in good fun without trumping your neighbors fun. All alcohols have values and quality traits. Beer snobs are like hiking snobs; they have issues. My personal favorite beer is the one shared with or given to me.

Mags
04-13-2005, 13:39
[/QUOTE] My personal favorite beer is the one shared with or given to me.[/QUOTE]

Amen!

I'd prefer a darker beer..but on a hot, sticky August day the can of PBR out of a cooler from a friend is heaven...

saimyoji
04-13-2005, 17:44
Who cares where it is from. If it tastes good, I drink it. Sheesh.
Mmmm....beeeeeerrrrrrrr.

Yeah, rereading these posts, I guess I do come off as a beer-weenie. I don't drink imported beer, I was just commenting on imported beer and where it did or didn't come from. Blahblahblah...

I'm currently enjoying a Yuengling. :D

SGT Rock
04-13-2005, 17:50
Killians is nice. But whiskey is still more weight efficient.

fiddlehead
04-20-2005, 22:01
tough question: Yuengling on the AT, Fat tire on the CDT, Obsidian Stout on the PCT, Star beer in Nepal, Kronenbourg in the Pyrennees, Klik in Bahamas, Cristal on the Inca trail, Leo in Thailand, anything that's cold when i can't get these, Anything named beer or bier or bia or stout or ale ...................fh

Bmillonduhat
04-20-2005, 22:25
Can't go wrong with the fat tire....Wish we had it along the AT

bogey
04-21-2005, 04:19
A panel of alleged beer experts assembled by Consumer Reports in a blind test once rated Old Milwaukee as the best "popular" beer -- i.e. Bud, Miller, and the like.

I noticed the next time they tested beer, Old Milwaukee, wasn't even mentioned. CU never explains such inconsistencies. I suspect that so many Yuppies complained that the silence was deliberate. But I'll probably never know.

Weary
a long time ago, in a war zone far far away, I read of one of those taste tests conducted by Mike Royko, a famous Chicago columnist. The favorite of those beers tested at THAT time was "Point" a small distribution beer from Stevens Point Wisconsin. I owed it to myself to go there to try it. (not that I'd know a good beer from any other) I think it tasted something like Coors, but at the time was cheaper than cheap. if you bought a six-pack, they threw in a bottle for free.

Next time I found myself in the town, Point had taken a new lease on life, had its own sweatshirts, souvenirs, and don't remember what else. Also, I found that I couldn't afford a six-pack anymore.:o

Nean
04-21-2005, 12:32
COLD..., after that any Yuengling -though my favorite might be Black&Tan. I was once offered some "Tennessee Advil" , blackberry flavored I believe it was. Did the trick, yessir, heybaby, etc. AND based on %- Ultra-lite :jump

Nearly Normal
04-21-2005, 18:11
Snake River Red if you ever get to Jackson WY.
pete

Bmillonduhat
04-21-2005, 18:25
Any snake river for that matter will do it!

Skyline
05-04-2005, 09:38
If I'm drinking beer it's Yuengling Lager, but on the Trail it's a mini of Seagram's VO with a little cold spring water. A lot more weight-efficient to pack a few of those mini airline-type portions than carry beer, I agree with Sgt. Rock.

Sly
05-04-2005, 10:15
(Somewhere, on the CDT, in the middle of Montana :sun )

There's a signpost up ahead. Look, it has a beer on it. A Fat Tire! And it's full.. There's a note....

"Sly, Sorry we missed you. Enjoy, Fiddlehead."

rigwitchdoctor
05-30-2005, 17:23
voted for guinness cause it was the best of the bunch... i've gotta tell you though after spending alot of time in utah over the last year i cant imagine anything better at the end of the day than a Provo Girl.... whether or not it can be had this side of the wasatch is another story :D

Buckingham
08-26-2005, 21:52
Give me a Coors Light and a chilled shot of Absolut, thats all I need, that is, if you multiply them both by 12. Who needs a liver.

I'm not an alcoholic, I'm Irish.
Alcoholics go to meetings, drunks go to bars.

bfitz
08-26-2005, 22:21
Beer is beer. Wine is fine, but liquor's quicker. I'll take either in town. In the woods I carry "medicinal" herbs. Much lighter and no trash. Better hiking, too.

papa john
08-27-2005, 07:49
Yuengling = horse piss IMHO

justusryans
08-27-2005, 08:26
Beer is beer. Wine is fine, but liquor's quicker. I'll take either in town. In the woods I carry "medicinal" herbs. Much lighter and no trash. Better hiking, too.
Share?????????:banana

The Hog
08-28-2005, 08:35
Last week, I was on a waterless stretch of CDT in Montana, walking down a gravel road thinking how I was dying for a beer. I trudged on and on, torturing myself with these thoughts. Then, a truck pulled up, a guy and his black lab jumped out, we chatted and then what does the guy do? He pulls a cooler out of the truck, opens the lid to reveal a selection of beers on ice, and says, "Take your pick."

I chose a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, thanked the man profusely, offered to pay him $10 for the beer (he refused, of course) and then continued up the road drinking it, and believe me when I tell you, it was ICE COLD. Yeah, at home, this particular brand probably wouldn't win any taste tests, but for me, at that moment, it was a religious experience. I'm still having flashbacks to that moment, and I can still taste that beer.

silvereagle
08-28-2005, 09:52
Favorite Beer is Guinness, however, if I can find a place that has Wexford Irish Cream Ale or Smithwicks, then I have to go with them. Can't drink domestic stuff anymore, yuck.........

boomerang
08-28-2005, 10:54
My top two choices weren't on the list:

Vermont - Otter Creek Copper Ale (had it at Christo's in Manchester Center - great place)

Maine - Carabassett Pale Ale (made better by the fact that we just did the climb down to and up out of that river before sipping on this most excellent of products).

David Guffey
11-23-2005, 22:06
:cool: I wont to buy made in usa!!! But when it BEER its Fosters.

icemanat95
11-23-2005, 22:31
I've recently discovered Oban, Lagavulin and Laphroig single malts. Oban is a West Highland malt, the other two are Islay malts...wow! I'll never drink Glenfiddich again, even Glenlivet pales in comparison. The MacAllen is a very good 12 year old though. Not in the same class as the first three, but darned nice for the money. I like it quite a lot better than Glenlivet.

Beer? I'm still a local brewery guy. As my iaijutsu sensei is located in Pottsville, PA though, I'm redeveloping my taste for Yuengling...that's local to him.

justusryans
11-23-2005, 22:34
Laphroaig is nectar of the gods!

Tin Man
11-23-2005, 23:11
I've recently discovered Oban, Lagavulin and Laphroig single malts. Oban is a West Highland malt, the other two are Islay malts...wow! I'll never drink Glenfiddich again, even Glenlivet pales in comparison. The MacAllen is a very good 12 year old though. Not in the same class as the first three, but darned nice for the money. I like it quite a lot better than Glenlivet.

Beer? I'm still a local brewery guy. As my iaijutsu sensei is located in Pottsville, PA though, I'm redeveloping my taste for Yuengling...that's local to him.

Iceman, Single malt is our (Bartender and I) beverage of choice for the trail, too. On steak night we break out a liter of cabernet ala the forbidden Nalgene bottle. Beer is too heavy, so hops night is town night.

neo
11-24-2005, 00:25
,i am a recovered alcholic,been sober since oct 26th 1994 so rootbeer my choice lol:cool: neo

bogey
11-24-2005, 02:48
Congratulations, and happy thanksgiving

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-24-2005, 18:34
,i am a recovered alcholic,been sober since oct 26th 1994 so rootbeer my choice lol:cool: neo

May I join you for a rootbeer? I've been skipping down the path to happy destiny since 1985.

liv2play
11-24-2005, 19:54
Beeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!! CoronasnakeriverIPAmagichatnumber9serranevadamirra pondbudfattireobsidianstoutmoosedroollongtrailaleh itthetrailallwheatbeerstetonbreweryfullsailalaskan eversummermojo fortcollinsboulderbeerohmygodwheredoestheinsanitye nd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

c.coyle
11-24-2005, 20:18
... As my iaijutsu sensei is located in Pottsville, PA though, I'm redeveloping my taste for Yuengling...

My bookie is located in Pottsville. ;)

general
12-02-2005, 20:37
the kill me quick is much lighter and it'll make you see Jesus. I ain't never seen Jesus on any beer.

neo
12-02-2005, 23:19
it used to be root beer i have been sober since oct 26th 1994
i was diagnosed wit diabetes today so its now diet root beer lol:cool: neo

snowhoe
12-06-2005, 16:59
Why cant someone invent powdered beer so we could just add water to it on the trail. And that idea is worth millions!!!!

MOREHEAD
12-20-2005, 10:06
My favorite trail beer is whatever was just bottled at the Morehead Brewery.

Morehead, founder and head brewmaster of the Morehead Brewery

saimyoji
12-20-2005, 19:43
I take it you are a homebrewer?

Skidsteer
12-20-2005, 20:57
Why cant someone invent powdered beer so we could just add water to it on the trail. And that idea is worth millions!!!!

Freeze it about 3/4 of the way to solid, pour off whatever doesn't freeze into a coke bottle and carry it on your next hike. At camp add water back to equal the original fluid oz's. You will either:
A-love it and buy me a REAL beer if we ever meet, or...
B-be cured forever of any desire to drink beer on the trail;)

P.S It's an old time method for making brandy from wine.

Hikes in Rain
12-20-2005, 21:49
Also known as eisenbier! On my ever-growing list of things to do. Best if you start with a bock, then follow the above directions. (I'm a home-brewer :)).

MOREHEAD
12-21-2005, 07:16
I take it you are a homebrewer?

Yes, I have built a 15 gallon all grain brewery. it puts out an outstanding beer for about 15-30 cents a bottle (depending on style). Yum

Hikes in Rain
12-21-2005, 09:15
I'd love to move to a 15 gallon, but I simply don't have the space. What sort of beers do you prefer to brew? I like the heavys; Imperial Stouts, wee heavies, barley wines, that sort of thing. My club teases me all the time about someday brewing something I can drink more than one of! For some reason, they also think I'm afraid of hops.

MOREHEAD
12-21-2005, 09:32
I'd love to move to a 15 gallon, but I simply don't have the space. What sort of beers do you prefer to brew? I like the heavys; Imperial Stouts, wee heavies, barley wines, that sort of thing. My club teases me all the time about someday brewing something I can drink more than one of! For some reason, they also think I'm afraid of hops.

I have all of the above in the cellar but I am shifting to a lighter style. my last batch was a dark lager. I find that I like to drink to much to only have a selection of the heavy stuff. This weekend I will do an american lager.

nicodemus
08-16-2006, 17:54
Jim Beam!!!!!

K0OPG
08-18-2006, 20:49
none of the above...Killian's or Corona. A man has to have his standards!

Ewker
08-18-2006, 22:04
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

peanuts
08-18-2006, 22:14
Even tho I voted for Guinness, I also like to drink Grolsh....YUMMMS

highway
09-02-2006, 17:28
Any of them....cold!

failing that...cool will do

nutlub
09-02-2006, 17:47
8-ball is far and away my beer of choice.