PDA

View Full Version : I have AT fever!!!

Figgsy13126
01-13-2011, 23:34
I have been a regular visitor to WhiteBlaze for the last two years!! Just wanna thank this site for all the valuable advice!. This site played a huge part in introducing me to the AT. I to hope to one day be able to encourage, guide, and share knowledge with other enthusiast.

Finaly the time is now! I will be on the trail March 30th..wish it was tomorro!! Problem is..I have lil to no experience in hiking or camping! I'm an athlete in good physical condition. Mentally, Im very confident in my abilities to deal with the challenges of the trail. I've always done well in the cold/snow/rain...faced the elements and enjoy rolling in the mud..

I'm going in the lightweight direction. Only have tested my clothing in cold temperatures. Happy with my baselayers and pajamas. Lunar Solo for my tent. (always learning with that)...can't believe that piece of fabric will be my castle!!. Lil worried about Cooking. Ramen? Not a fan...but, I have read that I might become a fan of BACON? Deff a cheese guy. Looking forward to adapting to the trail food and learning some AT recipes as I go.

Fortunately, for me time and money will not be an issue for me on the trail..few zero days in town to regroup my body or mental state will always be an option. Lookin forward to "chillax" in some hostels/hotels and trail towns. LOVE to walk through a history lesson...Natl' Parks, Gettysburg, Cherokee, Nc are a couple. (any suggestions will be appreciated)!!!

But, I have nights where I second guess my thoughts for goin all the way to ME due to my lack of experience...this is my walkabout. We all have stories..my story leads me now to the trail. This will no doubt be a great experience! I guess what im askin here...Does this maybe remind you of when u first thought of the trail? What it felt to get ur boots on the ground? Expectations? Learning experience? How did u overcome an obstacle as a newbie? Words of encouragement for those attempting a dream?

Helios
01-14-2011, 00:37
You've definitely got the fever!

Even those with tons of backpacking experience learn something out there. Just take it one day at a time. Don't try to get to Katahdin in one day, or one week even. Enjoy the trip, as it sounds you are ready to do, and let happen what happens.

hobbs
01-14-2011, 01:08
You can look through google and find one pan backpack recipes... Also just enjoy what your doing and leave yourself open to new things and advice..Have fun!!!! Thats why your doing it!!!

thechadders
01-14-2011, 02:41
Jeeze thanks, now i have the AT FEVER! Ugh still have to wait 1 more year. Good luck this march!

Turtle Feet
01-14-2011, 06:24
Figgsy, you'll be fine. I've been backpacking, canoeing, ect. for years, and I'm still a little anxious about setting out on the trail. That's a natural (and probably healthy) reaction. The more you can practice with your gear - go out in the next downpour or blizzard and try setting that tent up - the better.

As far as recipes. I have 3 or 4 books, but my favorite is called "Lip Smackin', Backpackin' ". It's been around for years, but I have a few favorite recipes in there that I've made 2 or 3 dozen servings of for maildrops (I'm doing about 14 maildrops along the way). A couple of the recipes are soups that I've made & then dehydrated. I've got a couple of 'energy bar' recipes that I'll use as a 'no-cook' breakfast or a snack.

Not in the book, but my staple drop-box breakfast is steel-cut oats (I'm not a fan of instant oatmeal). I've cooked up batches and batches of Scottish Oats, then placing them in layers in my deydrator and drying them out. I break them up into little pieces and put them in single serving baggies along with about a tablespoon of powdered milk and a few mini chocolate chips in some of them. I can add a little water the night before and they rehydrate on their own, or of course boiling water in the morning. I tend to do a combination of the two - just adding enough water in the morning to heat them thru - then the rest of the water I can use for tea or whatever. They're super lightweight and nutrious.

I'll be starting on the 13th, so I'll be a little ahead of you to start, but I'm sure you'll catch me before very long! See you on the trail. :D

tf

Ox97GaMe
01-14-2011, 09:08
get used to it. I stepped on the AT in 96, caught the fever, and still have it. I even tried going out west to hike, but to no avail.

Have a great trip. Maybe we will see you out there somewhere. :)

Snake Farm
01-14-2011, 18:16
Figgsy, I know exactly how you feel! I have been hiking before but never backpacking and then I just caught the fever. Im sure its gonna be hell at first but we'll pick it up along the way. Feel free to offer tips to us new guys when you see us out on the trail!

beautifulpoetman
01-15-2011, 14:01
Yo Figgsy!

I am leaving out mid-february. Been doing cold/snowy weather shake down hikes. I have some backpacking experience. Sounds like your cardio training will be a great help to you. (I've been working hard at that-- I wasted my twenties abusing my body.) I'm fit now though.

Living in the woods is about being moist and filthy and loving every minute of it. I have no qualms with replicating the hygenic standards of hunter-gatherers. When I started getting ready for my thru two years ago, I had backpacking experience, but no experience going solo. Being alone in the woods is awesome when you get used to it! The AT, as I hear, is not a solitary experience much of the time anyway.

So, yeah: bring the snow, the rain, the critters, the hiker funk, the GORP, and I'll see all of you out there on the trail! I'm so f---ing stoked!!!

Look for me in the registers signed "Triton S. Dabog."

So Far
01-15-2011, 14:36
Once u get to VA evrything will be clicking...Good luck

Jim Adams
01-15-2011, 15:13
You'll do fine! Just don't push too hard in the beginning and injure yourself. I had alot of wilderness canoeing experience but I had never backpacked for more than a few days at a time prior to hiking the AT and I went from Springer to Fontana on my first thru before I found out that the trail was longer than 1000 miles.LOL

geek

Shayla
01-15-2011, 15:21
Good for you figgsy! I'm finding I've got the fever myself. I just found this website, but also am grateful for all of the input and advice that people generously provide. Though I still feel like I haven't quite figured this website out, I've been reading some great postings and feedback.

I'm starting on or very soon after April 1st, so I'll see you on the trail! And I also would say, don't worry about the lack of experience, I feel like the fever and the good poeple along the way are going to make it all work out just fine!

Figgsy13126
01-17-2011, 13:56
Go Figure...i just pusshed up my date.. Looking at Mid Feb. I dont want to wait..and wanna take my sweet ol' time!

Turtle Feet thanx for in the info..havnt got into the dehyrdrating stuff yet. Something i wanna try out. Maybe for my Sobo years to come?

Good luck to everyone! See you on the trail!

Delta-Dawn
01-17-2011, 15:28
Figgsy, the fever is contagious and I think we all have it! :) I am literally consumed by everything A.T. lately, so much so that hubby told me to "chill, you still have 6 months until y'all start" this past weekend. lol Don't worry about not having enough experience, mind set is what matters. :) Good luck and maybe we'll pass each other along the way.

gitardo
01-17-2011, 15:42
Figgsy, Just take it easy at first and you will be fine. once you get thru G.S.M. You will be in shape and making good time. You will find the folks on and around the A.T. helpful.
Keep the fever!

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste and remember what peace there may be in silence

McGotes
01-17-2011, 19:00
I hear ya figgsy. I've had the fever you speak of ever since the idea of actually thru-hiking popped into my head. I've got a good bit of backpacking experience but am new to the world of long-distance hiking, not for long however, April 1st is my start date. Even in the preparation stages of these past few months, its been a rollercoaster of emotions, and I'd expect that coaster to get even more intense as the start date nears, I hope it does.

The way I see it, is that the nights of doubt are just as necessary as the days of excitement. Just think of what you're gaining each time you overcome a period of doubt, its like a form of mental training and will only enhance the overall experience of the trail. I can think of no better place to gain experience in backpacking than being on the AT surrounded by other backpackers. I'm sure i'll see you out there.

McGotes