PDA

View Full Version : Shell jacket

tillepotro
01-14-2011, 00:39
I need ideas for a shell jacket. I am looking for best value and waterproof if possible. Somthing that has a stuff sack or into a pocket would be idea. I have a Columbia Geocache right now. Any ideas on what I should look for?

TallShark
01-14-2011, 01:41
Try to find a Mont Bell versalight, its waterproof and right around $100. It has all the stuff like pit-zips and water-resistant zippers and such all in a 9._ something ounce package. Some shells are crazy expensive but I believe this one has been around a few years, while it isn't the lightest it seems good for the money. I hope so because I just ordered it. :)

The Cleaner
01-14-2011, 10:07
Mountian Hardware Epic,a little less than 1lb and if you shop around you might get it for 69 -99$...I like mine...

Tinker
01-14-2011, 10:26
I've tried all of the current waterproof/breathable fabric concoctions. My opinion is that none of them are breathable enough to handle any more perspiration than that which comes from a gentle stroll around town. They work best in cold, dry conditions which is when you need waterproofness the least.
If you want a rainshell get the cheapest one you can find with the most ventilation options, then take all the money you would've wasted on something like my Sierra Designs Gore-tex or my REI Shuksan parka and buy a nice, light windshirt.
No, I'm not a scientist, but I also don't feel that I have to justify my foolish purchases by defending them or exaggerating their performance.
Happy shopping :).

300winmag
01-18-2011, 16:03
Get a good eVent parka like an REI model and bite the $200.+ price bullet only once. Event parkas are true dual use garments as they breathe as well as "windshirts" but are totally waterproof as well.

q-tip
03-30-2011, 20:42
Just bought Marmot Mica-7 oz--waterproof--we will see?????

LDog
03-30-2011, 21:07
With new fabrics coming out, lots of great deals were available. I searched all the major online outfitters on keywords like eVent and gore tex. Found a few jackets that were on clearance, and googled those specific makes and models. I got into a Marmot gore paclite shell at a deep discount.:banana

hikerboy57
03-31-2011, 07:53
Just bought Marmot Mica-7 oz--waterproof--we will see?????I took it last year in the Mahoosucs, kept me dry, and is so far the most breathable jkt Ive had yet.

SusanJoy
10-22-2011, 01:18
Soft shell jacket is a waterproof product that has no internal insulation.These jackets are best for those people who have warmer body temperature and are usually worn over a base layer and a mid layer. It protects from cold winter and heavy rains.