PDA

View Full Version : deciding between a few bags for A.T. thru hike march '11

freemarie
01-14-2011, 02:12
I need a cheap, light & synthetic bag. These are the ones I am deciding between. The Kelty Cosmic, Columbia The Zone, Eureka Casper, and Swiss Gear Crevasse. They're all 0 degrees except the Eureka Casper. I realize I won't need a 0 degree bag, but I am a very cold sleeper.

Any experience or opinions on any of these?

freemarie
01-14-2011, 21:13
leaning towards the Eureka Casper

DapperD
01-15-2011, 20:45
I need a cheap, light & synthetic bag. These are the ones I am deciding between. The Kelty Cosmic, Columbia The Zone, Eureka Casper, and Swiss Gear Crevasse. They're all 0 degrees except the Eureka Casper. I realize I won't need a 0 degree bag, but I am a very cold sleeper.

Any experience or opinions on any of these?Funny thing when it comes to bags, you pretty much get what you pay for. In order to get a truely accurate temperature rated bag and have it's overall weight come in light, unfortunately a lot of the times you will not be able to get it for cheap. Best advice in my opinion would be to look for a better quality bag, although unless used you will need to pay somewhat more.

johnnyblisters
01-16-2011, 14:21
Are you stuck on having a synthetic bag?

10-K
01-16-2011, 14:25
If you get any of these 0* synthetic bags you're going to have to have a mighty big pack because any of these bags will take up some serious space.

To get a 0* synthetic bag that's compressible enough to be practical to carry would cost you about as much as a good down bag with the same temp rating.

bigcranky
01-16-2011, 14:48
Cheap and synthetic go together. Light, not so much. A zero-F synthetic would take up all the room in my pack. Not saying you shouldn't do this -- just be aware that for a thru-hike, pack weight and pack volume are critical. A zero-F down bag like the Campmor down mummy (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40068)will be lighter and take up less space, and it doesn't cost all that much for something that is going to keep you alive during those 10-degree nights on the trail.

10-K
01-16-2011, 15:14
A zero-F down bag like the Campmor down mummy (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40068)will be lighter and take up less space, and it doesn't cost all that much for something that is going to keep you alive during those 10-degree nights on the trail.

I just got this bag last week. Not bad at all for the price.

Certainly better than any of the synthetics mentioned.

I think the only reason to choose synthetic over down (except for an allergy) would be out of fear of getting the down wet which is really pretty hard to do unless you work at it. I washed both of my down bags this weekend and was reminded again of how hard it is to really soak one.

Edited to add: I just put that 0* bag in its stuffsack and it easily takes up over 1/3 of the capacity of my size large Catalyst by itself.

DapperD
01-16-2011, 22:17
I think the only reason to choose synthetic over down (except for an allergy) would be out of fear of getting the down wet which is really pretty hard to do unless you work at it. I never really thought about someone being allergic to down. I wonder if there are some people who just start wheezing and sneezing uncontrollably when they attempt to go to sleep in their new down bag for the first time:eek::D.

Tinker
01-16-2011, 22:27
Euereka Casper review on Trailspace: http://www.trailspace.com/gear/eureka/casper-15/

One owner rates it to 35 degrees, another rates it to 40.
Light synthetic bags aren't warm.
REI synthetics are tested in their own lab, so at least there's some creditability to their temperature claims.
Check them out before you buy cheap junk. :)

Ladytrekker
01-16-2011, 22:30
You get what you pay for in bags. I just got the UL super spiral montbell 15 degree and last night on an overnight hike it was 34 degrees and I was toasty. My other bag I would have been freezing all night.

The best value I have heard is the Campmor http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40067

Tinker
01-16-2011, 22:35
This bag: http://www.rei.com/product/786815

Is more like what would actually keep you warm at its stated temperature minimum.

Five pounds and 3/4 the size of a week long hiking pack is about what you can expect in a warm synthetic bag.

The only upside I can think of to using a synthetic bag on a thruhike would be that as the weather gets warmer, the bag's temperature rating goes up to match it as the loft gets crushed out of it due to repeted packing.

Go with down unless you're allergic.

Bags4266
01-16-2011, 22:52
FWIW, I have a Kelty Lightyear 25* weight is 2 lb 9 oz including stuff sack. $60. shipped. I have been down to the lower 20's w/lightweight clothes on

freemarie
01-17-2011, 01:12
I began to contemplate down, and then read this feedback that fueled my indecision... I really need a bag under $100 or right at $100 if anyone knows of any down bags for this price.

10-K
01-17-2011, 07:57
Big Agnes 15* synthetic bag on S&C right now for $72.99... Regular weighs 3 lbs, 3 ozs.

I bet it would take up some serious real estate in a pack.

Bags4266
01-17-2011, 11:20
Only, used....

Bags4266
01-17-2011, 11:21
Stoic Vamp 15 Sleeping Bag - $115 (Down) On steep and cheap got to keep looking it will come around again

No Cows
01-18-2011, 11:06
If you can sew at all. or know someone who can, consider making yourself a synthetic quilt. There's free patterns and instructions out there for simple quilts. I made one for this years NOBO hike and it was less than $100. I have a 0 bag that I've had for years and love in cold weather, but they're heavy and take up a lot of space which was mentioned. I've tested the quilt recently and have been plenty warm. It's 1.5 lbs with a full 2 inches of insulation and very compact. Give it a thought.....

freemarie
01-20-2011, 16:58
I bought the women's Eureka Casper 15 degree bag and used it a couple of nights ago. It's a really good bag, but I'm not quite as warm as I'd like to be in it. I am thinking I am going to return it and find a down bag. I have been searching endlessly for a nicely priced, light weight down bag. Any out there under $100?

The wolf
01-22-2011, 06:16
I just got the north face down 15 degree hotlumXL. REI is having an awsome sale right now and in NC in Feb. they are having their annual tent sale where you will find bags dirt cheap. I'm testing my bag out tomorrow at Linville Gorge NC. Wish me luck!!

chiefiepoo
01-22-2011, 12:59
Stoic Vamp 15 Sleeping Bag - $115 (Down) On steep and cheap got to keep looking it will come around again
I bagged (can't help the pun) this deal on S&C this past week and it arrived yesterday. The deal has been on S&C twice since Monday, expect it will be around again.

Bags4266
01-22-2011, 13:15
Chiefie, Let me know how you like that bag. I was going to buy it but couldn't find much about it. Only two negs were center zip and no down in the hood. Other than that the specs look great.

skinewmexico
01-23-2011, 02:54
I began to contemplate down, and then read this feedback that fueled my indecision... I really need a bag under $100 or right at $100 if anyone knows of any down bags for this price.

www.luxurylite.com (http://www.luxurylite.com) - $99. And you can get sacalerts that will text or email you when certain products come on (like Stoic). Pretty handy.

freemarie
01-23-2011, 18:51
www.luxurylite.com (http://www.luxurylite.com) - $99. And you can get sacalerts that will text or email you when certain products come on (like Stoic). Pretty handy.

preferably 0 degree...I know I'm asking a lot for under $100, but I think it's do able...

Bucherm
01-24-2011, 06:33
preferably 0 degree...I know I'm asking a lot for under $100, but I think it's do able...

Craigslist and eBay(or here!) may be your best bet then.

Bucherm
01-24-2011, 06:37
(For example, a Down 0* bag is on sale here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=67777))

10-K
01-24-2011, 08:13

It's there again right now - for 20 more minutes.

MedicineMan
01-24-2011, 08:18
10K's campmor bag-you cannot beat that price and these are good bags

Roots
01-24-2011, 11:18
I have to agree with the Campmor bag. BUT...in my experience I can honestly say I would skimp on any of my gear but NEVER my bag. Having a good bag is the difference between a good hike and one that could go bad. IMO of course. :)

double d
01-24-2011, 11:28
Freemarie, as many others have indicated to you, be careful in putting your foot down on a price like this when it comes to a winter bag in terms of quality and price. Campmor is your best bet and down is what you most likely need. You can't have both (in terms of price and quality) in the case of a bag, so good luck and have a great and safe hike.

freemarie
01-28-2011, 00:25
I just got this bag last week. Not bad at all for the price.

Certainly better than any of the synthetics mentioned.

I think the only reason to choose synthetic over down (except for an allergy) would be out of fear of getting the down wet which is really pretty hard to do unless you work at it. I washed both of my down bags this weekend and was reminded again of how hard it is to really soak one.

Edited to add: I just put that 0* bag in its stuffsack and it easily takes up over 1/3 of the capacity of my size large Catalyst by itself.

Wait, what bag takes up over 1/3 of the capacity of your pack?

Bucherm
01-28-2011, 06:29
Follow the link, he said the Campmor 0* down bag.

It's worth nothing that the Catalyst isn't a *massive* pack(about half of the claimed allocated storage space is outside the main compartment), and the Campmor bag uses a lower quality fill, which means it'll be a bit heavier and bulkier. For the money though it isn't a bad bag, as everyone seems to swear by it.

I might add that I've crammed a Marmot Sawtooth extrawide long, a SD Vaporlight 2(poles on the outside), and a bear canister all into my Catalyst with no problem. the Sleeping bag is ALWAYS going to be the biggest single item in your pack.

freemarie
01-28-2011, 16:29
Yeah, that's what I was confused about. He commented earlier about synthetic bags being bulky (obviously) but mentioned his campmor took up 1/3 of the space in his bag.

Ashevillian
01-28-2011, 18:39
Have you ever considered a 15 or 20 degree bag (which are cheaper) and purchasing a silk liner? My liner adds a good 10 degrees to my 20 degree bag.

freemarie
01-28-2011, 19:00
I bought a liner, but it didn't feel that it would actually add 10 degrees. Plus I wanted to stay as close to $100. My bag was $75 plus the $20 liner, and I didn't really feel as warm as I want in 20 degree weather with a 15 degree bag. I am always very very cold, so I think I may need to just get a 0 degree bag. I don't really have the funds to purchase a silk liner.

Llama Legs
01-28-2011, 19:05
get what you need to stay warm, there's a lot of night in March...

freemarie
01-29-2011, 00:21
That is what I am thinking! :)

Bucherm
01-29-2011, 14:18
Yeah, that's what I was confused about. He commented earlier about synthetic bags being bulky (obviously) but mentioned his campmor took up 1/3 of the space in his bag.

Catalyst doesn't have a lot of internal space(although more than "real" UL packs). What kind of pack do you have?

freemarie
01-30-2011, 00:55
Kelty Lakota (4000)

Bucherm
01-30-2011, 10:50
Kelty Lakota (4000)

Yeah, it isn't very likely that a Campmor 0* Down bag would take up a third of that. Again, a Catalyst has substantially less internal space than most packs.

Sassafras Lass
02-07-2011, 16:47

Any experience or opinions on any of these?

You can have cheap and synthetic, and you can have light and synthetic, but not all three. You'd have to shell out big bucks for a synethic bag that equals the performance and compression of a down bag - the trade-off, a less expensive synthetic bag, is weight and size - you'll have to settle for a 4 lb + bag that takes up half the space of your pack.

If synthetic is not a necessity for you (allergies, moral dilemma over down harvesting, etc.) then by all means grab the Campmor 20F bag and wear baselayers and a puffy down coat to sleep if you really can't handle the cold. Oh, and get a good insulating sleeping pad too.

Sassafras Lass
02-07-2011, 16:49
Also, peruse the Used Gear forum here daily - you'll see some great deals pop up often - heck, there are a few sleeping bag liners there now if your budget doesn't allow you to buy a new one.

theeulogy
02-07-2011, 18:16
I have a Eureka Casper, it is good for about 30degrees for me and I do not get cold at night very easily. I also have a Kelty Light Year 40 degree bag that is down, it is about as warm to me as the Eureka and is and; well see for yourself the size difference.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/7/5/9/2/img_2335_thumb.jpg

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/7/5/9/2/img_2336_thumb.jpg

and the Casper is 2 Lbs heavier.

McPick
02-09-2011, 00:16
PM sent re: sleeping bag options.

woodstock64
02-22-2011, 16:01
The Marmot Aspen 15* Adventurer is a 600 FP bag. 2lb 8oz. Almost identical to the Marmot Sawtooth but made exusively for Dicks Sporting Goods. Mine stuffs down to a little larger than a football. Cost me w/ a discount coupon $119 but you can sometimes get it cheaper.