PDA

View Full Version : Gear questions

nickgoforth
01-14-2011, 10:02
Hello, I have a north face dolomite 20 degree rectangular sleeping bag, it is about 16"x10.5", is this too big a bag to hike with? Also I have a eureka spitfire tent it is 21"x5", I ordered a g.g. vapor trail and have found out that it's not even close to be able to fit this stuff in....I should have asked before I made the purchase but will return it...would a 4750 pack fit this stuff or should I go with a different bag/tent? I thought I had this all figured out.....thank you......

Tinker
01-14-2011, 10:35
Yes, your bag is not made for hiking. The most efficient bags for hiking are of the mummy type. There is no extra insulatin or fabric used in their construction. They are designed to wrap around your body insulating it efficiently.
Down bags are lighter and resist damage due to compression better than synthetic filled bags. Yes, you must be sure to keep them dry, but if your tent doesn't leak and you don't pitch it in a low lying area (inviting flooding of the floor) your bag will probably never get wet.
Campmor makes affordable down mummy bags, and if you need more room for your feet you can get a semi-rectangular bag.
If need be you can lash your tent to the outside of your pack. Once it gets wet you will probably want to do that anyway instead of putting it inside where it can soak your clothing and sleeping bag.

Panzer1
01-14-2011, 11:16
Also I have a eureka spitfire tent it is 21"x5"

That's a pretty dam small tent. How do you fit into something that small :D

Panzer

Tinker
01-14-2011, 11:18

Panzer

Missed that one :D.
"Tanks" a lot! :D:D

STICK
01-14-2011, 11:22

Panzer

But I bet it packs down small which will be good trying to get that bag and that tent in that pack...

scope
01-14-2011, 11:24
The thing is that you certainly CAN hike with it, but doing that comes with compromises, like the efficiency Tinker described, as well as needing a heavier pack so that you can carry a heavier sleeping bag. You can do other things to make the bag more efficient and you can lug the weight, and you wouldn't be the first to make that sort of choice. But, most advice is likely to be that getting another bag is worth the dough. Might even be able to keep that VT, depending on what else you have.

Hard to say if 4750 would carry all your gear AND that bag - probably it would.

Blissful
01-14-2011, 13:43
It takes time to figure out gear. Do a search for recommendations on sleeping bags. You might look into the Campmor down mummy bags - I have not used one but hear they are good and reasonable. And it should compact down to use in your backpack.