PDA

View Full Version : Ptarmigan bivy

HiKen2011
01-14-2011, 10:32
Are they worth it? Can it be used as a stand alone shelter? Anybody have one?:-?

Tinker
01-14-2011, 10:39
This one? http://titaniumgoat.com/Bivy.html

I don't think it's designed as a stand alone bivy. In rainy weather even the most waterproof bivy doesn't offer you any place to change out of your wet clothing before you get into it.
Unless you carry a bivy for extreme emergencies, I would recommend using a tarp (at least over the head end of the bivy) so you can get out of wet clothing before hitting the sack. That's what I did before I switched to hammocking (which is essentially a bivy hung from trees with a tarp over the top).

Doc Mike
01-14-2011, 10:43
Never heard of it, but ptarmigan reminded my of a trip up north with my bow. They sure are good eating.

Doc Mike

skinewmexico
01-14-2011, 11:46
I've got a couple. As far as standalone, I might use them cowboy camping, and under a tarp, but I wouldn't want to count on one in a rainstorm. It might work, but talk about miserable.

leaftye
01-14-2011, 12:49
Are they worth it?

Yes. For sure if using a tarp.

Can it be used as a stand alone shelter?

When dry, absolutely. In light rain, maybe if you seam seal it. Rain sucks though. Being stuck in a bivy in the rain is one of my worst camping experiences, but it least I was in a fully taped goretex bivy. What would you do if you had to get up in the middle of the night when it's raining? What about packing your bag in the rain? I'd rather carry a tarp and no bivy instead of a bivy and no tarp.

Anybody have one?:-?

I do.

lori
01-14-2011, 13:00
Gen'rally, the bivies made to be standalone shelters are nearly as heavy as the lighter 3 season tents, and mountaineers who climb and have narrow ledges to sleep on have a solid reason for having one. Otherwise why not just take a 3 lb tent you can sit up in, so when that rainstorm blows in you're not going claustrophobic?

Bivies like the Ptarmigan are best paired with a tarp - unless you are positive it won't rain on you. (I'm hardly ever that lucky. I take the full shelter, whichever one it is, so it's not likely to rain. Murphy is my hiking buddy.)

HiKen2011
01-14-2011, 13:03
Thanks everybody!!!!!!!!!!

swamp dawg
01-14-2011, 13:11
I got caught in a downpour while using my new bivy on the trail. I had a nature call moment during the storm. Everything I had got wet and the rest of the night became a nightmare. I camped in shelters the rest of the hike and retired the bivy forever. Leason learned.....swamp dawg

Miner
01-14-2011, 13:28
The UL bivies like that one ARE NOT made to be rain proof. They are rain resistant and are designed to be used with a lightweight tarp or something similar. They also are good at blocking wind, adding warmth to your sleeping system, and providing some insect protection. The one by Titanium Goat isn't as breathable as the ones by MLD and some others (but its cheaper). This is an advantage if you have a cold wind, otherwise it means a little more condensation build up on your sleeping bag. Until I lost it on the PCT (fell off my pack), I liked the Titanium Goat one better for colder weather. My more breathable MLD bivy though, doesn't have any real condensation issues, but is colder in wind.

In a 3 sided shelter with wind blown rain, you might be the envy of everyone else in the shelter or if the bugs are bad. I use my bivy most of the time. When cowboy camping (which, if it isn't raining/snowing, is what I normally do), you just throw it on the ground with your sleeping bag and your camp is set up. When its warm and too hot to use my sleeping bag, I use it as a thin sleeping bag. But what ever you do, get a tarp with it. My Tarp+bivy sack weigh under 15oz and fits my camping style nicely. It isn't for everyone though.

HiKen2011
01-14-2011, 14:51
The UL bivies like that one ARE NOT made to be rain proof. They are rain resistant and are designed to be used with a lightweight tarp or something similar. They also are good at blocking wind, adding warmth to your sleeping system, and providing some insect protection. The one by Titanium Goat isn't as breathable as the ones by MLD and some others (but its cheaper). This is an advantage if you have a cold wind, otherwise it means a little more condensation build up on your sleeping bag. Until I lost it on the PCT (fell off my pack), I liked the Titanium Goat one better for colder weather. My more breathable MLD bivy though, doesn't have any real condensation issues, but is colder in wind.

In a 3 sided shelter with wind blown rain, you might be the envy of everyone else in the shelter or if the bugs are bad. I use my bivy most of the time. When cowboy camping (which, if it isn't raining/snowing, is what I normally do), you just throw it on the ground with your sleeping bag and your camp is set up. When its warm and too hot to use my sleeping bag, I use it as a thin sleeping bag. But what ever you do, get a tarp with it. My Tarp+bivy sack weigh under 15oz and fits my camping style nicely. It isn't for everyone though.

Thanks Miner, wow 15 0z. What you using?

Miner
01-14-2011, 16:52
Thanks Miner, wow 15 0z. What you using? My tarp is a small MLD Grace Solo Tarp made from cuben fiber. Its an older model that is slighly lighter then the current one (mainly from the lack of linelocs attached to the pullouts). With line and 8 titanium stakes it comes to about 8.5oz. Add a 6-6.5oz bivy sack and there you go.

Franco
01-14-2011, 19:38
I have that Ptarmigan bivvy.
As Miner explained above it is somewhat water resistant (short mild showers,drizzling) but not at all water proof.
I really don't get the idea of using a bivvy alone if there is the chance of rain.
Franco